PDA

View Full Version : Herbie or beananimal

jazzywashbuckler
06-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Don't be saying saying from experience your positives and negatives.

Aquattro
06-09-2015, 09:45 PM
moved.

WarDog
06-10-2015, 12:03 AM
If tuned properly, both are dead quite. Bean Animal requires one additional hole in the glass. Both are safe and effective. Unless someone can explain the merits of BA, I will stick with Herbie.

Skimmin
06-10-2015, 03:59 AM
I would like to put something down here... But it would be based on my experience with both.... Maybe try google. It has lots of facts on both set ups.

mark
06-10-2015, 05:06 AM
I would like to put something down here... But it would be based on my experience with both....

but personal experience is great, share!

Skimmin
06-10-2015, 05:12 AM
But Mark it clearly states in the first post... Personal experience is not welcomed here... I got nothin :noidea:

Skimmin
06-10-2015, 05:14 AM
One thing I can tell u is mines super quiet and safe too!

hfp75
06-10-2015, 05:31 AM
I used a Durso originally but with a tank upgrade came a Bean Animal.

I wouldn't use anything but a Bean Animal Now.....

The Herbie should for all intents and purposes be the same as the Bean Animal, just the added safety drain that you will hopefully never use - but if you do...... it just saved you a ton of time and money...

Dont cheap out - Get the Bean Animal with the 3 pipes...

eli@fijireefrock.com
06-10-2015, 06:00 AM
Herbie is fine but from my experience and a piece of mind I would recommend the extra hole for a bean animal...In my case I have multi beanie and few animals for that I did 6 holes,as for each hoe has its purpose and 2 of them are the emergency..

jazzywashbuckler
06-10-2015, 06:13 AM
One thing I can tell u is mines super quiet and safe too!

So sorry it should be saying do talk from experience .

Aquattro any chance we can fix this?. Cheers

reefwars
06-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Without a cookie bribe? Not likely lol

Correct me if I'm wrong but a bean isn't just an extra drain it's the ability to run more gph with the syphon :) so the bonus on a small tank is nil but on larger tanks you run more water through without having to use huge piping sizes :)

reefwars
06-10-2015, 12:08 PM
If it was only an extra emergency it wouldnt run with that much water in it :)

IanWR
06-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Without a cookie bribe? Not likely lol

Correct me if I'm wrong but a bean isn't just an extra drain it's the ability to run more gph with the syphon :) so the bonus on a small tank is nil but on larger tanks you run more water through without having to use huge piping sizes :)

I think you are partly wrong. The Herbie and the BA are both siphon drains so with the same size pipe they can handle the same flow. The BA adds the emergency drain, but also uses the second drain as a trickle (which is how many people run their Herbie). The trickle set up means that you shouldn't have to adjust the siphon drain gate valve once you have it tuned. That trickle can take more or less as minor variations change the flow through the main line.

lastlight
06-10-2015, 03:05 PM
I didn't think it was really possible to adjust a herbie so it didn't drift one way or another very slowly at best. Plus the flow rate can shift as the pump gets dirty etc. I figured everyone had a trickle down the emergency or had a tiny bit of air going down the siphon. So the emergency with trickle is quietest and the emergency still can handle more flow than your primary siphon since its unvalved. The bean has the extra emergency which is nice but I doubt it's needed.

Doug
06-10-2015, 03:12 PM
You guys use mostly 1in. or larger?

Skimmin
06-10-2015, 04:17 PM
I use 1 1" and 3 1-1/2",( two of the 1-1/2" are emergency drains only). Both the herbie and bean animal use siphon to work. Bean has more fittings.

hfp75
06-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Both the herbie and bean animal use siphon to work. Bean has more fittings.

Yes and Yes....

The 3rd drain on the bean you shouldn't normally use... its an emergency back up

Skimmin
06-11-2015, 02:22 AM
I use one extra hole as a second emergency even though its somewhat overkill I know two 1-1/2" drains could never plug enough to have a problem. My one inch throttled drain feeds only the fuge side of my sump and my heavily throttled inch and a half drain feeds only the skimmer/mechanical filtration side of my sump. I also have the choice to change configuration for whatever reason down the road or if I wanted to I could increase sump flow or experiment etc... Seeings I had the overflow custom built I figured an extra hole could never be a bad thing. The real key is finding the best height of the pipes in the overflow to keep it dead silent.
Also I don't run a trickle. Just spent a fair bit of time and got it perfectly 'tuned'. I can shut the tank down and start up and within about 5 min its perfectly quiet.

Ron99
06-11-2015, 05:46 PM
I went BA when having my tank built because I figured the extra emergency drain is an added safety feature just in case. So why not?

Duckhams
06-11-2015, 06:09 PM
I run a beananimal on my 75 gallon with 1" drains and it handles my eheim 1262 (900 gph) easily. I would suggest using a gate valve, not a cheap ball valve, on your main line for easier adjustments and fine tuning.

Doug
06-11-2015, 11:14 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0186_zpsfkw7lzsy.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0186_zpsfkw7lzsy.jpg.html)

My BA. Three in. drains. You guys inspired me to drill another hole and have it quiet rather than the pair of duraso

Duckhams
07-01-2015, 12:05 AM
That looks good Doug! I'd add a small length of tubing to the secondary line on the left and bend it over slightly to redirect any spluttering that might be caused by the siphon restarting after tank cleaning etc. Probably not needed, but if you wanted to be fussy.