PDA

View Full Version : Montipora eating nudibranch

rynoe
06-09-2015, 08:32 PM
So the other day I noticed my very large green monti suffering tissue loss. I kept an eye on it and started double checking all parameters in the tank. I could not find any reason for the tissue loss. After five days the coral was dead. I then noticed my red monti starting to do the same. I then stumbled upon montipora eating nudibranch on google and sure enough the underside of my monti was completely covered in them. So far the only treatments I have found are to be performed out of tank and that is not an option for me. Has anybody dealt with these pests in the past?

Scythanith
06-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Yep. My situation is that same as yours, and after trying to siphon them out, buying fish that are supposed to eat them, etc. I have come to accept that I will have them in my tank. The damage has lessened but they are still in there. It's almost like the struck some sort of a balance with the montiporas still in the system.

The only legitimate way of getting rid of them is to rid your tank of montipora then wait a good 2+ months to break the life cycle. If you're going to all the trouble of removing them I'd just wait 6 months before coral reintroduction to be sure.

Myka
06-10-2015, 12:10 AM
I had them on a beautiful purple rim green cap. I dipped a few times, but eventually got tired of that routine and just fragged a loonie size off it and started again.

toytech
06-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Yellow corris wrasse munched all mine in no time , I also siphoned them out at night using a flashlight with some air line tubing . Then I fed them to my Duncan , but that was simply because im a vindictive bastard.

lastlight
06-10-2015, 05:41 PM
I bought a melanarus wrasse to eat mine and it did. Never saw any again.

gregzz4
06-11-2015, 03:59 AM
I have both a Yellow Coris and a Melanurus. The melanurus is definately the harder working critter in my tank - we named it Hunter :wink:

rynoe
06-11-2015, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like a melanarus is the way to go. Guess it's worth a shot to try and save what I can.

Duckhams
06-11-2015, 06:19 PM
We've had these a couple times over the years. Manual removal, preferably at night when the little buggers are more active is best. Shut off all powerheads and pumps and get a siphon tube ready.

Its much easier taking the whole thing out of the tank but i've done this too. Use a flash light and scrape off any egg clusters, then use a toothbrush to scrub the underside/edges of the monti to remove any leftover nudi's / eggs as you siphon out water/debris as you go. You might have to do this a couple of nights in a row to get them all, but thats always worked for me. Most monti's recover pretty quick.