PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching rock or using vinegar

jazzywashbuckler
06-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Is this necessary I'm assuming it's for levels of the tank love to know more

FishyFishy!
06-07-2015, 01:37 AM
Personally.....after doing a bleach bath and then a muriatic acid bath....i will probably not go back to live again. It was awesome to know there was no pests. Full cycle didnt take to long. Having to deal with pests really sucks some times if you get the bad ones.

You can check my build thread for more info on the rock killing

jazzywashbuckler
06-07-2015, 01:50 AM
Can you send me a link cheers

Myka
06-07-2015, 02:09 AM
Bleach breaks down organics like stuck on algae, corals, pests, etc. Muriatic acid strips off the outside layer of rock which removes most of the phosphate because phosphate binds with calcium carbonate.

byee
06-09-2015, 07:36 AM
I used a 50% vinegar solution to 'bleach' my dried liverock for 6 weeks with a power circulating the water. Followed by a water for another 6 weeks changing it frequently.

I also hosed down the rock using a high pressure hose during the process.

I used vinegar instead of bleach based on comments from various forums - easier and safer.

Aquascaped my tank using my 'bleached' rock.

A few months later, I noticed a light color substance growing on the rock. It was caused by the dead organic substance leaching out of the rock.

Rather than dealing with it, I decided to remove everything out of my 45g and start over. Instead of liverock, I used reef rock for my aquascaping to avoid surprises.

I highly recommend just buying reef rock instead.

Myka
06-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Fwiw, I'll take fresh live rock over bleached and acid washed rock any day. I'll take bleached and acid washed formerly live rock over mined dry rock any day.

jazzywashbuckler
06-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Damnnnn 6 weeks like isn't there a couple of hours solution you can mix and where would you get it from?

jazzywashbuckler
06-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Oh I have Pukani if that helps

Aquattro
06-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Damnnnn 6 weeks like isn't there a couple of hours solution you can mix and where would you get it from?

Remember the "take it slow and have patience" comment?? Welcome to the hobby :).
If you want a couple hours turn around, buy cured live rock.

jazzywashbuckler
06-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Remember the "take it slow and have patience" comment?? Welcome to the hobby :).
If you want a couple hours turn around, buy cured live rock.

Well 1 already bought the rock so can't change that. I've herd of people do this process in 24hrs which makes sense being we're just killing it. I promise scouts honor Brad I"lol take slow on everything else.

Aquattro
06-09-2015, 09:33 PM
This is one of the most critical parts to be patient with. Good luck!

jazzywashbuckler
06-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Sorry if I'm confusing anyone or myself. But i herd before I cycle my tank it's important to put all my rocks in a Rubbermaid and soak them in bleach then in vinegar then in Rodi water. Water maybe couple of times. Any links on this process and where to get the bleach and vinegar and how much to put in.

eli@fijireefrock.com
06-11-2015, 03:41 AM
Check out this link as there is some good read and a little of explanation.
Dry Pukani Rock - Curing - aquascaping (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110847&highlight=muriatic+acid)