PDA

View Full Version : goby/shrimp relationship

Invigor
10-01-2004, 05:33 AM
i've got a yellow watchman goby and I thought if I could get him a little buddy, it'd be cool. He's kind of an outcast and only comes out whenever there's food.

from what i've been reading, I'm looking for a pistol shrimp, but I also read there are different kinds of pistol shrimp.

does anyone have a bonded pair? what kind of goby and what kind of shrimp do you have, how did you introduce them both to your tank? one before the other/together?

thanks.

golden69_ca
10-01-2004, 05:41 AM
get the one that looks like a tigger coloring on the body . you nead one that digges . if you go into buy and sell samw has a good pic of the type you need .not all pistals are diggers i also have a bullseye pistal purple in color with a bullseye on its side does not dig just cruises through the rockscape

mr_alberta
10-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Hi,

I have a Yellow Watchman and a Tiger Pistol shrimp (see http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1148&TopCatId=525 for more info).

I had the yellow Watchman first, then I added the shrimp many months later. Within the day they became best buds.

hockey nut
10-01-2004, 06:01 AM
Hi. I had my pistol shrimp first. He started digging right away. I added a watchman goby a month later and they paired up that day and are now best buds. You still won't see your goby a whole lot more as well as your pistol shrimp. They are somewhat a seclusive couple. But they are still cool to watch when you do see them. I like them so much I bought another pistol, a different type ( mostly red and dosn't dig very much ) and a orange spot goby and for some reason they have not paired up yet. Both gobbies and pistols are happy and I have never seen any bad blood between the different types.

HTH :smile:

Fish
10-01-2004, 02:24 PM
I had a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair in my 90. I'm not sure what kind of pistol it was but it has a pink body and bright purple legs and antenae. It was always digging and the two were always together!

- Chad

ruck'n'reefer
10-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Get the tiger pistol!! Mine paired as soon as they saw/ noticed each other. After 2 years they are still happy buds. A week ago the burrow extended along the front glass (for the first time). Very cool to watch.

Good luck :0)