PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to cycle

jazzywashbuckler
06-05-2015, 11:02 PM
What's quickest way to cycle and what do o need. Cheers😁🐠

Doug
06-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Im just cycling more Pukani for my new 90g. I used Prodibio start up last time. This time I am using Cycle. Will see how it goes. Im also running a whack of go to remove phosphates, hopefully , before going in new tank.

Wretch
06-05-2015, 11:40 PM
When I started my tank I added ammonia and then bio-spira. I believe I was done in the cycle in about 10 days at the most.

FishyFishy!
06-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Here's the best tip you'll hear in regards to this hobby... the word "quick" will only lead to failure. Take it slow.

The chemical additives are a good way to speed it up, but can be expensive. Spend that money on good quality test kits instead.

Cycle your tank with a raw shrimp or ammonia. Chuck it in the tank and wait for the tank to fully cycle. Read up on the cycling process and what to test for. Usually you will go through a few stages. First white stuff on the rocks, then diatoms (brown powder looking stuff) then green hair algae. When the green hair algae is thick and no ammonia is present you add clean up crew. Then when perameters are where they should be, you can add livestock.

You can also buy all live rock which will cycle your tank much faster.

Make sure you read lots about the process and what to look for and you'll be fine.

Aquattro
06-05-2015, 11:59 PM
If you buy cured live rock, there is no cycle.

Doug
06-06-2015, 12:02 AM

I knew that was coming from Brad. :lol:

Aquattro
06-06-2015, 12:07 AM
I knew that was coming from Brad. :lol:

Well, it's true. Even using freshly shipped rock, took me a week to cure it and add to tank. Added all corals and fish right away.

But, being in a hurry is a sure way to go south real quick. Start tank in June. Post about algae problems first week of August, selling whole system by October, don't want to part out. You're gonna part it out anyway, lose tons of money on what you spent trying to build a budget tank fast.

Doug
06-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Well, it's true. Even using freshly shipped rock, took me a week to cure it and add to tank. Added all corals and fish right away.

But, being in a hurry is a sure way to go south real quick. Start tank in June. Post about algae problems first week of August, selling whole system by October, don't want to part out. You're gonna part it out anyway, lose tons of money on what you spent trying to build a budget tank fast.

I know your right. Just that the 2 small pieces I added last time has given me nice presents.

NU-2reef
06-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Assuming the OP is using store bought live sand. Should he/ she expect a cycle?
How live is live sand really.....?

Aquattro
06-06-2015, 12:26 AM
Assuming the OP is using store bought live sand. Should he/ she expect a cycle?
How live is live sand really.....?

Yes, and not very.

intarsiabox
06-06-2015, 01:08 AM
A cheap API Ammonia test kit or badge.

lastlight
06-06-2015, 02:47 AM

He didn't suggest a road bike. He's actually making an effort for you now. Your hazing period is over :)

Aquattro
06-06-2015, 02:51 AM
He didn't suggest a road bike. He's actually making an effort for you now. Your hazing period is over :)

Road bikes are probably over budget :)

Myka
06-06-2015, 04:20 AM
That's my best suggestion too!

jazzywashbuckler
06-06-2015, 04:27 AM

It's true I should just wait lol nice and slow. I'm in this for long haul it's been a dream since I was kid, lol I had this tank sitting for a year looking at a tank with sand, rock but no water. Wife saying get it out my kitchen just throw it lol.

jazzywashbuckler
06-06-2015, 05:14 AM
That's my best suggestion too!

Your posts are the best for newbies, I have thoroughly enjoyed. Wow do you really write all that or cut and paste. Hope I'm not being rude.

jazzywashbuckler
06-06-2015, 05:19 AM
Road bikes are probably over budget :)

Road bikes are over budget. You seen the China knock offs for these carbon ones . It's on YouTube .

I'm after a specialized 29er or even full suspension. Used of course but sadly put on hold. Tank comes first. Next year I guess.

Reef Pilot
06-06-2015, 01:35 PM
I'm after a specialized 29er or even full suspension.
I have had one for just over a year now. Full suspension, with a dropper seat. Great climber, and best mtn bike I've ever had. Not full carbon, though. The many extra bucks for just a few pounds wasn't worth it to me. I only compete with myself.

Myka
06-06-2015, 02:58 PM
So if the tank's been sitting there so long, what's the rush now? :D I assume it's dry rock then since it's been sitting there too? The Prodibio Start works quickly with dry rock. Keep your lights off while it's cycling too.
Your posts are the best for newbies, I have thoroughly enjoyed. Wow do you really write all that or cut and paste. Hope I'm not being rude.
As long as you're not being sarcastic, it's not rude. ;)

I type 70 WPM, so typing a bunch doesn't take me long. When I'm on my phone (like now) my replies are shorter. :lol:

Aquattro
06-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Can't help myself...this looks like a fast cycle!!

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/road/performance_race/emonda/emonda_slr_10_h1/#

FishyFishy!
06-06-2015, 03:32 PM

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/road/performance_race/emonda/emonda_slr_10_h1/#

And for the low price of $17000 !!!!

Aquattro
06-06-2015, 03:35 PM
And for the low price of $17000 !!!!

That doesn't include pedals :)

Doug
06-06-2015, 03:41 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/cartoon-boy-backpack-helmet-riding-turquoise-bike-smili-funny-happy-big-smile-hat-having-ride-his-blue-bicycle-35049159_zpsntyhfn6n.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/cartoon-boy-backpack-helmet-riding-turquoise-bike-smili-funny-happy-big-smile-hat-having-ride-his-blue-bicycle-35049159_zpsntyhfn6n.jpg.html)

JmeJReefer
06-07-2015, 01:19 AM
Wait. Wait a bit more, then wait again. Seeding with an established chunk of LR or LS will help but with this hobby, WAITING is the word.

Ive tried both methods, and the HURRY and FAIL method is usually what turns would be hobbyists away. The WAIT and WIN method is probably what ur gonna hear from everyone.... give that bad boy some time!

jazzywashbuckler
06-07-2015, 05:43 AM

Bloody Mary $17000 , $650 I think I'm pushing it for a used one lol

jazzywashbuckler
06-07-2015, 05:48 AM
I have had one for just over a year now. Full suspension, with a dropper seat. Great climber, and best mtn bike I've ever had. Not full carbon, though. The many extra bucks for just a few pounds wasn't worth it to me. I only compete with myself.

True, Carbon is for either racers or people with more money then sense. I mean don't get me wrong I like the finer things in life, but when you get snow, what's the point. Speaking of that my wife is forcing me to sell my pride and my convertible. One we have 3 cars only space in garage for 2. Last winter she was going bananas lol.

gregzz4
06-07-2015, 06:00 AM

Warning ?

Stay on topic Pal
Jorjef may not like you straying ... :wink: