PDA

View Full Version : Jebao powerhead slot Issues

reefwithareefer
06-05-2015, 06:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue. I purchased some Jebao powerheads awhile back. I notice that the slots for the water intake on the pump cover were quite wide. It concerned me that maybe critters could get sucked thru the slots as the pumps draw alot of water thru them.

I have some fish missing and have not been able to find any carcass hidden anywhere. My anemone got mangled last week as well.
I lower the speed to about 10% at night and on two occasions I have had to pull out a hermit crab. The shells obviously can stop the impeller, which is a good thing. The crabs are getting in from the front though,...

I cannot for sure say the fish got sucked into the powerheads, but I had to cut the powerhead cover to free the anemone.

Any suggestions on something that I can use to reduced the spacing of the slots or cover them that will not adversely affect the pumps?
Do any other competitors covers work on the Jebaos?
Or is it unlikely the fish got sucked into the powerheads and I should not concern myself?

I had a small Hawkfish that sat on top of the powerheads, plus a Goby and a mandarin that have disappeared.

Wretch
06-05-2015, 06:18 PM
I guess you could put foam around the powerhead if you want. Some people do it with vortechs. You will need to clean the foam though. i have the rw-8s and haven't had any problems with anything going in them. My clowns like to hang out around them at night.

mike31154
06-07-2015, 04:34 AM
Seems like it's just one of those things. Pretty well any type of power head or pump that moves sufficient water to keep a healthy reef tank is capable of mangling/shredding/attracting your critters. As mentioned, some pumps have optional foam covers, but they end up being a cleaning, flow robbing nightmare & I don't think many folks keep them on very long. I lost a Lawnmower Blenny early in the life of my tank to a Hagen power head that had an open intake. After that newb mistake, I added the large filter holder cage without filter to keep dumb animals away from the intake. Don't use the Hagens for flow any longer, now have VorTechs. Healthy fish can swim quite close & not get caught up in the pump. If my anemone were to drift in there, pow. Thankfully it stays put, but there are no guarantees. It's now so large that during the day when fully inflated, tentacle tips are getting quite close to the pump on the back glass. It runs at a lower speed, so for now, ok.

I don't sweat the issue. My critters either figure it out (stay far enough away) or they pay the price with their life. Haven't lost any to the VorTechs yet. Several years ago I topped up my CUC with some new snails & it was almost like they couldn't wait to slither into the front of each of my MP40s. I'm watching TV after fish tank lights out & hear this rattling sound. Snail had crawled close enough to the propeller to make contact. They all took turns doing this, not far enough to get chopped, but enough to make a helluva racket & put some wear on the tip of each propeller. I was a bit miffed, but no major harm done, either to the pumps or the dumb snails. After a couple of weeks of random occurrences like that, these slimy slugs finally figured out on their own to graze elsewhere. Once in a while I'll still see one on the outside of the wet side cage, but yeah, they stay away from the propeller now.

Sorry, long story, but my take on the whole thing is like the Darwin theory. I don't have any critters that cost more than my pumps, so don't sweat it if they decide to commit suicide. Replacement propellers are cheap though, I really should get 3 new ones.