PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp

RobbAdams
09-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Does anyone know where I could locate one of these?

impreza
09-30-2004, 10:05 PM
I need one too, been looking everywhere for them, but haven't been able to source any locally

ed99
10-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Wai's on 16th Ave N often has them. I haven't been there recently though.

Bob I
10-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Wai's on 16th Ave N often has them. I haven't been there recently though.

Wai's does not have any, neither does Gold, or Ocean, nor Big Al's :sad:

BMW Rider
10-01-2004, 02:35 AM
I'm waiting for a pair from J&L along with the rest of my livestock order. They said they expected them in this week, but so far no word. Its been almost a month now.

Bob I
10-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Accoding to Albert Dao, Peppermints come from the Caribean, and there is a collection methods problem, so nobody is getting them right now. :sad:

ungp
10-01-2004, 04:58 AM
How u guys tried Ocean Aquarium on center street and about 24 ave N

Lofus
10-01-2004, 05:53 AM
They come from the carribean so the supply has dies off until the weather clears...

Bob I
10-01-2004, 03:23 PM
How u guys tried Ocean Aquarium on center street and about 24 ave N

As I mentioned in an post above, they have none. They have Camel Shrimp, which their supplier says are the same, but don't get caught in that error. :eek:

gbeef
10-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Theres a thing on Reefcentral about camel shrimp on how they look like pep except they kill stuff.

Bob I
10-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Theres a thing on Reefcentral about camel shrimp on how they look like pep except they kill stuff.

I can't see how they could say they look in any way the same. :rolleyes: Camel Shrimp have a big hump like Camel (Ok one hump, so it should be a Dromedary :biggrin: ). In addition the colour is different, and they have vertical stripes. I have had Camel Shrimp, and they did not kill anything.

muck
10-01-2004, 04:18 PM
I have had Camel Shrimp, and they did not kill anything.
I think hes refering to the freeze dried krill and brine shrimp.:razz:

Delphinus
10-01-2004, 04:24 PM
They are really quite different. The problem is that camel shrimp are sometimes called peppermint shrimp because of they're patterning looks like ... well .. peppermint. Another case of common name applying to more than one species.

There are several "peppermint" shrimp in the Lysmata genus. I believe that the ones that go after Aiptasia spp. come from the Carribean. There is also a species from the south Pacific and a species that lives in the colder waters of California and Baja peninsula. To the untrained eye they look identical.

Not 100% sure of this, but I beleive ORA does have a successful breeding program of Lysmata wurdemanni so sometime captive bred specimens are available.

The problem is, as mentioned, the Carribean is a mess right now. And at the best of times, availability of this species tends to be seasonal. So it may just be an off time to try to find some. Patience though, they're a vendor's staple so eventually some will show up at your LFS of choice - just keep visiting after every order comes in. But ... As if there are people who don't do that anyhow. :biggrin:

HTH

em3r1ca
10-20-2004, 05:49 AM
supposedly pepperment shrimp are "out of season" Big Al's should be getting some as soon as they find it on there order lists but dont quote me on that

Quinn
10-20-2004, 07:27 AM
As Tony mentioned regarding Lysmata spp., for your reading enjoyment.

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/hopkins_redfield.html

danny zubot
10-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Has anyone looked at Riverfront lately? They have been known to have peppermint shrimp from time to time.

Old Guy
10-20-2004, 03:08 PM
I was at J&L yesterday and they had quite a few in stock so somebody is getting them.

danny zubot
10-25-2004, 02:43 PM
I was at Wai's on the weekend and he had about a dozen peppermint shrimp in his snail tank.

Bob I
10-25-2004, 04:10 PM
I was at Wai's on the weekend and he had about a dozen peppermint shrimp in his snail tank.

Are you sure about that :question: . I was in there a few weeks ago, and thought he had Peppermint Shrimp, but he said they were another type of Cleaner Shrimp. :confused:

danny zubot
10-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Ummmm, now I'm second guessing myself. I'd say I'm 75% sure....ok 60%.....

OK, just call him to be sure. :confused:

RobbAdams
10-25-2004, 10:31 PM
OK, I called over to Wai's and they say they do indeed have pepermints in stock. Any key things I should know as far as ensureing they are indeed the anemone eating variety?

Robb
(Master Aptasia Breeder)

albert_dao
10-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Well, most of the shrimp collected off California tend to die within a couple months. I suppose that isn't too helpful since most retailers don't keep their shrimp around for that long, but yeah, there it is.

Does anyone have any news regarding what's happening with the Carribean stuff?

Bob I
10-26-2004, 01:01 AM
OK, I called over to Wai's and they say they do indeed have pepermints in stock. Any key things I should know as far as ensureing they are indeed the anemone eating variety?

Robb
(Master Aptasia Breeder)

You might try the link that Quinn provided on the first page. It tells you exactly what to look for. :biggrin:

impreza
10-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Who bought all the peppermint shrimps?!?!? :evil:

I went to Wai's today and ...all gone! argh!

RobbAdams
10-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Not me, I have not had a chance to get over there yet! My new Bi-color angel has been witnessed picking at the smaller ones :shocked!: but this seems just too good to be true. oh well time will tell I guess. With my luck this will just develop his tastes for corals :sad:

gbeef
10-28-2004, 08:36 PM
I grab one he had like 6-8 last time i was there on Tuesday. They were all hiding under a rock there hard to see

Vagabond
10-29-2004, 08:57 PM
If anyone is still looking, I just got back from "Golds" and Dennis got a bunch of Peppermint Shrimp in Yesterday!

RobbAdams
11-02-2004, 05:25 PM
I picked up 2 yesterday. Albert was kind enough to show how theses were the true varity, showing me that the thingama-bobs were longer than the dooah-mahikies, only $9.99 a piece.

Robb

Bob I
11-02-2004, 05:27 PM
When I picked mine up Albert tried to show me too, but I could not see it, so I trusted him. :eek:

RobbAdams
11-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Well Truthfully My eyes pretty much glazed over when he started trying. :redface: But I think the point is he actually tried :mrgreen: Better than many LFS i have frequentd in the past :eek:

impreza
11-02-2004, 08:16 PM
I picked some up from Albert yesterday as well...awesome service!

RobbAdams
11-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Well, these guys have eaten every last bit of aptasia, unfortunately they also really enjoyed my ricordia yumas :cry: Oh well they seem to be leaving everything else alone. on the bright side I have a nice new clear spot for something new :mrgreen:

Robb