PDA

View Full Version : New tank questions

Kellyscoral
06-02-2015, 01:19 AM
Hello - my current tank is a 20 gallon tall tank. We happen to have a 54 gallon tank here that I am pondering taking over. My question is this - my current tank has a radion XR15pro. The 54 gallon is set up with room for 2 high output T5 lights (with room to add in another 2). If I combine the radion XR15pro with the T5s do you think that's enough lighting or would I need to add a second radion XR15pro? I have an MP10 plus a couple of korila 425s - what would I need to add to that for flow ? I currently use an aquaclear 110 but I likely would get a skimmer. I'm thinking no sand and new live rock. I'm just trying to sort out in my head whether I can use most of my current stuff or whether I need to buy a lot of new stuff. Thanks for any thoughts!

rsisvixen
06-02-2015, 02:28 AM
It depends what kind of tank setup you're going for, FOWLR, reef (mostly soft corals ) (Mostly LPS) or (mostly SPS)

Myka
06-02-2015, 03:02 AM
Before you take over the 54-gallon tank, I'm assuming this tank is 48 x 12 x 21" or so high? These dimensions aren't really good for reef tanks with corals because they are so tall and narrow, though they make good FOWLR tanks. As far as the lighting goes, 4 T5s is enough light to grow anything but SPS - you wouldn't need the Radion. The spread of the Radion will only be about 24x24" so it would create a spotlight effect on that tank. Maybe keeping an eye out on the classifieds you could find a good deal on a tank with a better shape - a 24" cube or 24 x 24 x 18" or something would be really awesome with the single Radion! :D

Kellyscoral
06-02-2015, 04:34 AM
Thanks Myka - I didn't really consider the tall narrow thing (which is actually what makes my current tank a little awkward to fit coral into). The light is good on my current mixed reef set up - so I will probably just stick with what I have. I was just looking at the empty tank thought hmmmm maybe.