PDA

View Full Version : Zeovit help in GVRD

WarDog
05-31-2015, 06:54 PM
I am trying to run full zeovit on my tank and am having problems. I have followed the method to the letter, and I frequent the KZ forum regularly. I am hoping to find someone here in the GVRD with the knowledge of running a successful zeo tank. I don't want to give up on the Zeo system quite yet, nor do I want to spend the next year doing trial and error methods, possibly losing livestock in the meantime. I am so frustrated that I'm ready to pull it out and just go with bio-pellets and/or other methods. Hopefully I can find someone local that can give me a helping hand. Thanks Canreefers!

spit.fire
05-31-2015, 07:03 PM
I am trying to run full zeovit on my tank and am having problems. I have followed the method to the letter, and I frequent the KZ forum regularly. I am hoping to find someone here in the GVRD with the knowledge of running a successful zeo tank. I don't want to give up on the Zeo system quite yet, nor do I want to spend the next year doing trial and error methods, possibly losing livestock in the meantime. I am so frustrated that I'm ready to pull it out and just go with bio-pellets and/or other methods. Hopefully I can find someone local that can give me a helping hand. Thanks Canreefers!

Have you talked to albert about it?

WarDog
05-31-2015, 07:25 PM
Have you talked to albert about it?

Albert is a seasoned zeohead? Interesting... thanks Tyler!

Aquattro
05-31-2015, 07:49 PM
What kind of issues are you having?

WarDog
05-31-2015, 08:23 PM
What kind of issues are you having?

In a nutshell, high NO3's (>5ppm salifert) and corals browning out.

Advised not to start Zeo additives like ZFood7, AA's or CV until I reach ULNS, which NO3 is not at. Mindy thinks NO3's are high because rocks are still young. Lights were running at 60% for a long time, and I have almost got them up to 100% now. Corals have better colouring, but I'm still not sure if this was the cause. Diatoms continue to be everywhere.

Aquattro
05-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Diatoms will last until they don't. Just pesky things that you have to live through. High nitrate is almost certainly the rock. Denitrification happens by bacteria deep in the pores of the rock. Yours didn't have any. The pores are also full of dead bacterial mulm, which will delay the colonization of new bacteria.
I agree that adding the zeo nutrients should be held off until you need them. The zeostart is the carbon source, I'd play with doses of that, as most use half recommended. Maybe increase slightly? Overall, 5ppm isn't bad. 0 is a good target, but it's going to take time. I'd start worrying after the first year, until then, it's a young tank and needs to develop.

WarDog
05-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Diatoms will last until they don't. Just pesky things that you have to live through. High nitrate is almost certainly the rock. Denitrification happens by bacteria deep in the pores of the rock. Yours didn't have any. The pores are also full of dead bacterial mulm, which will delay the colonization of new bacteria.
I agree that adding the zeo nutrients should be held off until you need them. The zeostart is the carbon source, I'd play with doses of that, as most use half recommended. Maybe increase slightly? Overall, 5ppm isn't bad. 0 is a good target, but it's going to take time. I'd start worrying after the first year, until then, it's a young tank and needs to develop.

*sigh*... I'm sure you are right Brad, thanks. Now I understand why some people hate dry rock. Lesson learned. It's amazing how quickly you gain knowledge by actually having a tank running. Years of research didn't prepare me for this... other than the patience part.

I will carefully try your suggestion.

xtaze
06-01-2015, 02:00 PM
my two cents
especially in a new tank 5ppm nitrates is ideal. and will act as a tampon protecting you from alk swing..

as for the nitrates itself you have them for 2 reasons... your tank is young and the anaerobic bacteria population is not suffisant and zeostart IS a source of nitrates to feed the bacteria from zeobak

WarDog
06-01-2015, 02:54 PM
my two cents
especially in a new tank 5ppm nitrates is ideal. and will act as a tampon protecting you from alk swing..

as for the nitrates itself you have them for 2 reasons... your tank is young and the anaerobic bacteria population is not suffisant and zeostart IS a source of nitrates to feed the bacteria from zeobak

More good information, thanks xtaze!

Myka
06-01-2015, 03:57 PM
I think we talked about it already, but what's PO4 at? Brown SPS is either light or PO4 or in some cases flow. If PO4 is undetectable, have you double checked with another kit? Doesn't hurt. Which Zeo additives are you currently using?

WarDog
06-01-2015, 04:54 PM
I think we talked about it already, but what's PO4 at? Brown SPS is either light or PO4 or in some cases flow. If PO4 is undetectable, have you double checked with another kit? Doesn't hurt. Which Zeo additives are you currently using?

According to salifert PO4 is .03. Also 0.03 on Hanna Phosphorus.

Only using Bak, Start and sponge power. Used ZeoFood7 once, but saw an increase in diatoms and algae, so I haven't used it since.

Like you said Mindy, it's just a waiting game at this point. I can live with that.

xtaze
06-01-2015, 07:10 PM
let them diatoms and algea be.. worst theyll do is removes the phosphate and silicates

Ginu
06-05-2015, 07:33 PM
I missed this thread until Gregzz4 mentioned it last night...

I am in the same boat as I started zeovit with my new 120 - read a bit through my thread although I haven't updated it in a while...

What kind of rock are you using in the tank and how old is it?
Also I've noticed when starting zeo, the system can be quite shaky and that's most likely due to the change in the type of bacteria.
I started with dry rock from Eli and could not be happier with the quality and how it all turned out.. my tank is only 6 months old and its algae free (besides some valonia which I don't know I will attack this)

What kind of sand are you using? was it dead or live? with Zeo its recommended to run dead argonite sand as it helps with the reproduction of beneficial bacteria.. live sand can be very problematic with zeo

what is your dosing schedule/rocks/carbon and how big is your system (net)... are you running the reactor on a on/off every three hours? how many stones and what flow?

Also keep in mind in marine aquariums patience is key... only bad things happen over night in this hobby and sometimes you just need to wait things out

What does your zeobak smell like and how do you store it? I also recommend getting a bottle of Coral Vitalizer and dose that as well as it doesn't add Nitrates/Phosphates to the tank.

WarDog
06-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Wow... lots of questions that I will have to address when I get home. For now all I can say is I've tried to everything recommend by KZ. Also talking with other members via PM and still working it out. Zeo is a tricky system with every single tank being different.

I have also considered starting a Zeo sub forum here for members to hash it out there, as the official zeo forum is just too big with far too much conflicting information IMHO.

hunggi74
06-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Hi Wardog. I'm in or was in the same boat as you. I run a 57 gallon basic Zeo system and am starting to see great results after 2 months. Too long to get into the story here but PM me and maybe swing by on the weekend to check the tank out and I'd love to tell you what I went through and what I did.
And Albert should be everyone's go to zeo guy in the GVRD. He's the west coast G Alexander!

WarDog
06-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Hi Wardog. I'm in or was in the same boat as you. I run a 57 gallon basic Zeo system and am starting to see great results after 2 months. Too long to get into the story here but PM me and maybe swing by on the weekend to check the tank out and I'd love to tell you what I went through and what I did.
And Albert should be everyone's go to zeo guy in the GVRD. He's the west coast G Alexander!

Thanks for the offer Hunggi, I'll let you know... and yeah, I've been told Albert is the local Zeo Wizard.

Ginu
06-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Wow... lots of questions that I will have to address when I get home. For now all I can say is I've tried to everything recommend by KZ. Also talking with other members via PM and still working it out. Zeo is a tricky system with every single tank being different.

I have also considered starting a Zeo sub forum here for members to hash it out there, as the official zeo forum is just too big with far too much conflicting information IMHO.

Ok I have to apologize as I should have looked to see if you had a tank thread around here and you do... Ive skimmed through it all and I have to say you did an incredible job with the setup and equipment of the tank. I'm stunned (if you want to come over and help me organize the mess of wires I'll be very grateful lol

On a side note, were using almost the same stuff... have a look at my thread and see what you think.

Anyhow I will answer in your thread as I can see a few mistakes with the setup.