PDA

View Full Version : New Acrylic sump off gasing?

Palmer
05-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Hey everybody

I have a weird question regarding new acrylic. I just purchased an aqueon acrylic sump and noticed an awful smell ( my wife suggested it smells like vomit which isn't far off) since opening the box and installing.) I honestly haven't owned acrylic tanks in the past so it is new for me. Is it an off gasing effect from the manufacturer? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Thanks

WarDog
05-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Acrylic definitely has its own smell, but I don't think I would describe it as vomit lol. The sump was probably assembled months ago so all the cement should be fully cured. I would just give it a wash in vinegar water and off you go.

sphelps
05-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Never noticed any real unpleasant smell whenever I've worked with acrylic. The solvent obviously has a strong odor but it's pretty obvious.

untamed
05-31-2015, 11:11 PM
I notice that smell when I cut acrylic with a saw.

Myka
06-01-2015, 04:57 AM
I notice that smell when I cut acrylic with a saw.
Yes. I would describe it more like boar urine. It's gross. I don't think all avrylic makes this smell though...I don't know what the difference is.

Palmer
06-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone I will try rinsing in some dilute vinegar and see if it improves :)

Myka
06-02-2015, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone I will try rinsing in some dilute vinegar and see if it improves :)

I don't think that will help. I think you just need time for it to dissipate.