PDA

View Full Version : thoughts and opinions welcomed

The Guy
05-29-2015, 03:35 PM
I have a RSM 250 and I want to add another power-head, kinda leaning towards an Eco-tech MP10QD, anyone else out there use this newest model and how do you like it?
Other suggestions and the reasons why I should consider it, other than the price aspect. :smile:

The Guy
05-31-2015, 02:36 AM
63 lookers and not one opinion :twitch:

RDNanoGuy
05-31-2015, 02:49 AM
Does it have to be controllable?

If not the Tunze Nanostream 6045 is hard to beat. They last forever.

If you want control then a Tunze Nanostream 6095 with a 7096 controller would be a good choice.

I don't buy into fancy through the glass stuff or even fancy wave modes. I want reliability. Most of my Tunzes are 8-10 years old and still work great!

Just my $0.02.

rsisvixen
05-31-2015, 03:38 AM
I like my Jebao RW's, quiet and provide a lot of power, can be controlled and has a master/slave feature, also has a feed function which is nice.

JmeJReefer
05-31-2015, 03:51 AM
Jebao fan here. It does the job and is dead silent, controllable and affordable!

gregzz4
05-31-2015, 04:57 AM
Longevity and controllability lead me to think about a pair of MP10wES for you.
I don't have any experience with Tunze stuff, and so far I'm staying away from the Jebao units.

Not sure about the MP10wQDs yet as the one I have hasn't proven to be any quieter than my 3 ES ones, but the sound is 'different'. I'm still breaking in the unit so maybe it'll get better, or I'll be returning the wetside.
Now's a good time to buy some ES units as prices are down much.

mikellini
05-31-2015, 05:40 AM
Another vote for the Jebao. I'm running an RW8, so much bang for the buck, I can't see myself ever paying so much for an Ecotech or Tunze pump again. I mean, they're great and all, but 2-3x better? I would pay a small premium, but not double or triple...

gregzz4
05-31-2015, 06:04 AM
Another vote for the Jebao. I'm running an RW8, so much bang for the buck, I can't see myself ever paying so much for an Ecotech or Tunze pump again. I mean, they're great and all, but 2-3x better? I would pay a small premium, but not double or triple...
Can't argue with that, but what about the failure rate of the J units ?
I have a couple MP10wES units that are over 4 years old already and have only replaced the bearings on one of the two so far.
That's less than $100/year per unit without a warranty claim/down time ... and they are still running.
Plus the programming flexibility of them over the J units. I gotta say the MPs win.

mikellini
05-31-2015, 07:03 AM
Mine is programmed through the apex, so controllability is the same either way really. As for longevity, I haven't had any issues, but for less than $100 per year I could buy a brand new pump every year...

The only issues I've heard have been right out of the box, some quality control issues, they replace the pump right away. Maybe others have had wear/longevity issues?

Wheelman76
05-31-2015, 07:08 AM
What about a gyre ?

Coral Hoarder
05-31-2015, 08:13 AM
My vote goes to the gyre 130 awesome unit

mike31154
05-31-2015, 05:28 PM
No experience with MP10, but my three MP40's range from 6 to 8 years, going strong. Minor expense to renew wet side ceramic bearings, washers. Modular design makes replacing wet side parts relatively easy & inexpensive. Even some controller modifications are diy. No need to send the entire unit back for most repairs. About time for new propellers, no issues with dry sides to date. Not sure about new QDs, but no plans to buy into that at this time for me. Worthwhile investment for me, although I have 0 experience with any power heads other than VorTech & Hagen AquaClears.

The Guy
05-31-2015, 05:51 PM
No experience with MP10, but my three MP40's range from 6 to 8 years, going strong. Minor expense to renew wet side ceramic bearings, washers. Modular design makes replacing wet side parts relatively easy & inexpensive. Even some controller modifications are diy. No need to send the entire unit back for most repairs. About time for new propellers, no issues with dry sides to date. Not sure about new QDs, but no plans to buy into that at this time for me. Worthwhile investment for me, although I have 0 experience with any power heads other than VorTech & Hagen AquaClears.
Most parts are available and can be ordered @ J&L I believe. I also like not having wires in the tank. So tell me more about the Gyre stuff noise level etc. what makes them awesome?

mike31154
05-31-2015, 11:28 PM
Most parts are available and can be ordered @ J&L I believe. I also like not having wires in the tank. So tell me more about the Gyre stuff noise level etc. what makes them awesome?

I purchased my first & only new MP40 at J&L on a trip from Vernon to Burnaby in 2008. Other 2 pumps I'm running are used. Took a few years, but finally an LFS here in Vernon is able to provide parts, although not sure what he stocks atm.

One of the things that makes the VorTechs awesome to me is the flexibility of flow patterns that are possible, particularly once you have multiple units working together via the wireless controllers. It is a bit of a hassle having a separate controller for each pump, but that's also what gives you more options to regulate flow than anything I've come across. I don't have a dedicated aquarium controller, so the VorTech units are a good solution for me.

A gyre is possible as well, depending on what type of tank you have. If it's a normal rectangular or square tank, simply mount a pump at each end, offset slightly & run them at constant speed creating a circular flow. Fairly certain you can still download the user manual(s) from the EcoTech web page for free, much more detailed info in there. Be prepared for some serious reading, there's a lot of info there, providing ample evidence that there's a very good reason these pumps cost more than a Jebao or other less costly offerings.

Nothing like seeing them in action in person though. You're a lot closer to J&L than I, take a trip there & ask them about the pumps. Been a while since I've been out that way, but they had a number of tanks with VorTechs running on them when I looked in.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=950055&postcount=12

WarDog
06-01-2015, 03:08 AM
Laurie, I kind of look at power heads like cars.

Vortechs are Lamborghinis, expensive and loud, well built and powerful. Very expensive to fix.

Tunze are like BMW's. Engineered to perfection, can be powerful, and a little more affordable to fix.

Jebao's are like Chevrolets. Cheap but will do the job. Guaranteed to only last a short time.

For me the jury is still out on the Gyre's. They move a crap load of water and don't seem overly loud. Cost of parts is unknown, but I am considering getting one.

Maybe take a chance and try something new? What's the worst that can happen?

mike31154
06-01-2015, 03:53 AM
Very expensive to fix? Of course a complete wet side, dry side, controller are not inexpensive. But at least you have that option with a VorTech. In my experience running MP40s for 5 years +, the parts that typically wear are on the wet side. Repair kits, ceramic bearings are a bargain. Not sure any other manufacturer offers the same options. Once a Jebao is done, it's all done, trash.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=wp-vortz417

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=wp-vortz407

Comparing exotic cars to water pumps is a bit of a stretch, no? If I were able to go back & choose again based on what I know now, I'd buy another. Folks who like their Jebaos are free to do the same, based on their experience.

gregzz4
06-01-2015, 07:13 AM

Vortechs are Lamborghinis, expensive and loud, well built and powerful. Very expensive to fix.

Tunze are like BMW's. Engineered to perfection, can be powerful, and a little more affordable to fix.

Jebao's are like Chevrolets. Cheap but will do the job. Guaranteed to only last a short time.

For me the jury is still out on the Gyre's. They move a crap load of water and don't seem overly loud. Cost of parts is unknown, but I am considering getting one.

You can't compare a jebao to a Chevrolet dude !!! How dare you

WarDog
06-01-2015, 02:58 PM
You can't compare a jebao to a Chevrolet dude !!! How dare you

Fine, fine. Let's call them Fords then.

The Guy
06-01-2015, 03:26 PM

When you say loud for the Lamborghinis, terrible loud or ? Also how long are the cables with the Vortech's?

WarDog
06-01-2015, 03:36 PM
When you say loud for the Lamborghinis, terrible loud or ? Also how long are the cables with the Vortech's?

The cable to the dry side is considerably long. I'd say 8 feet, definitely longer than 6 foot.

As for the noise, it's a personal preference. I installed the QD driver on my mp40, and short pulse was still too loud for my wife. Other people however are fine with it.

kamloops_reefer
06-01-2015, 08:13 PM
I have a RSM 250 and I want to add another power-head, kinda leaning towards an Eco-tech MP10QD, anyone else out there use this newest model and how do you like it?
Other suggestions and the reasons why I should consider it, other than the price aspect. :smile:

My MP10 was dead quiet IMO vs my Mp40's

with the new quiet drive.... I don't think you would have any regret. Also having control via apex with the add on module is really handy.

I'd get the MP10 IMO

tony1928
06-01-2015, 09:26 PM
If the wires inside the tank don't bother you too much, the Tunze's are practically silent. I have an MP10Wes and I'm going to upgrade it with the new QD driver. It's wonderful not having the wires in the tank and also the low profile up against the glass. However I doubt anything would get it as quiet as the Tunze if noise is of major concern. I have several Tunze's and they are all dead quiet. I'd also like to check out the gyre in person at some point. Was hoping J&L would have it set up at some point too.

The Guy
06-03-2015, 04:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, after lots of reading reviews and talking to others, I stopped in at J&L and picked up a Vortech MP10QD today, hopefully I'll get it installed tomorrow.
Looking forward to see how it works out. :nod:

Wretch
06-03-2015, 04:41 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, after lots of reading reviews and talking to others, I stopped in at J&L and picked up a Vortech MP10QD today, hopefully I'll get it installed tomorrow.

Well now you have to report on your good or bad experience with said powerhead. Good luck and enjoy.

The Guy
06-19-2015, 05:43 AM

Had the new Vortech for a couple of weeks now, tried some of the modes available and ended up using the Lagoon mode set on random.
It's virtually dead silent unless you put your ear right up to the motor and there's a slight hum, this new driver it comes with does a great job. :smile:

WarDog
06-19-2015, 06:26 AM
Had the new Vortech for a couple of weeks now, tried some of the modes available and ended up using the Lagoon mode set on random.
It's virtually dead silent unless you put your ear right up to the motor and there's a slight hum, this new driver it comes with does a great job. :smile:

Nice! See you on Saturday... you can tell me all about it!

P.S. Don't forget the Tunze!