PDA

View Full Version : Kole tang question

The Guy
05-28-2015, 03:56 AM
My kole tang usually grazes the tank and eats nori, pellets and frozen mysis like a little piggy, but for the last 4-5 days he hides out in the rock work and does not seem to be eating anything.
When I managed to get a look at him from the end of the tank his mouth seems to be open and quite white looking, I read that because of their mouth structure being full of bristles Koles can get growths on the inside of their jaws that can cause them problems, he seems to be able to open and close it somewhat but won't eat which concerns me. He's been in my new RSM 250 for about a month now and did notice his color looked faded a bit and thought maybe it was because of the new LED's on this tank, but the rest of the fish look fine.
Any suggestions or thoughts anyone. :question:

gregzz4
05-28-2015, 04:41 AM
Laurie I'd suggest a large WC to re-set your tank params
It's possible some very fresh water will help your little guy

A 50 or even 75% WC wouldn't hurt, especially if your water hasn't had a large change for awhile

I'm now a proponent of large WCs and have built a NSW (new salt water) mixing tank (thanks Mindy for the NSW interruption on here)

I'm still going to use the NSW acronym as new salt water and we'll see what the consensus is :wink:

Craigdillman
05-28-2015, 06:14 AM
This is common with them seen it before in my QT tank when I qt my kole, there was white and red and looked like trauma of some sort, all I did was keep it extra few days in QT and did wc and kept water good and it healed on its own with good water and diet

The Guy
05-28-2015, 03:35 PM
I guess it was too much for him, found him dead this am, had a good look at his mouth and it was quite swollen and a growth inside.
Had him 2 years and he was always healthy and ate very well. "RIP Buddy"

straightrazorguy
05-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Bummer. :cry:

Sorry to hear that, man. I hate losing fish....

Wretch
05-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Always sucks to lose a fish. I just lost one myself, albeit a new one.