PDA

View Full Version : Foam for under tank

muck
09-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Anyone here used this stuff under there tank??
It looks like it should work nicely but was looking for other peoples experience with it...
Any ideas where to pick it up??

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1022foam.jpg

Chad
09-29-2004, 09:56 PM
I have seen stuff like that at IKEA...

Not sure how good it would work.. looks like it might do the job nicely.

Skimmerking
09-29-2004, 10:23 PM
i can't see it not working, its spongee right go for it, Pretty cheap stuff to hey. Really flexiable too.

mike

pocilipora
09-30-2004, 11:06 PM
I always thought putting foam under a tank wasnt a good idea. If it gets compressed enough, the weight of the tank is spread across the entire bottom pane of glass instead of just around the edges. I think there is some good info if you do a search on RC.

StirCrazy
09-30-2004, 11:12 PM
I always thought putting foam under a tank wasnt a good idea. If it gets compressed enough, the weight of the tank is spread across the entire bottom pane of glass instead of just around the edges. I think there is some good info if you do a search on RC.

if you look at pressure it has an amazing property.. at any given depth the pressure is the same in all directions. the side walls do not hold the weight of the tank as the weight of the tank is the greatest at the bottom. this means in a 24" tank the force acting on any point that is the same depth is the same. so suporting the whole bottom fully only makes sence. however the problem comes in if you don't make your table flat you can get a high spot in the middle which will crack your tank. enter foam this will compress in some areas and spread the force out over its surface allowing iregularities to be adsorbed and the result is a flat true surrface, but even foam will have its limitations so we must get the base as flat and true as possable also.

Steve

muck
10-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys...

I managed to find some at Home Depot. Its called Anti-Fatigue Matting.
I will try it out and see how it works. :biggrin:

Lofus
10-30-2004, 02:53 PM
When pocilipora said pressure, I think he was refering to the weight of the tank and water. Tanks are designed so that the weight is exerted against the base by the trim of the tank and not the glass.

StirCrazy
10-30-2004, 03:56 PM
When pocilipora said pressure, I think he was refering to the weight of the tank and water. Tanks are designed so that the weight is exerted against the base by the trim of the tank and not the glass.

yup exactly and the reason for this is to make up for bad stand surfaces.. the plastic gives a bit with the silicone in it. if you use foam it is just that much more insurance.

Steve

kooltank
11-13-2004, 04:31 PM
I used hard foam (not insulator foam) available at Home Depot. I know it's for sure cheaper than what you have.

wrassehole
12-05-2004, 10:54 PM
its only a good idea with a flat bottom tank

StirCrazy
12-06-2004, 03:38 AM
its only a good idea with a flat bottom tank

:eek: Do you have a round bottom tank?

Steve

wrassehole
12-12-2004, 06:58 AM
yur funny, no i have a raised bottom. the glass is about an inch off the stand. its on an aluminum frame. its not suggested to put foam under yur tank unless the glass itself is actually laying on the surface of your stand. if yur stand warps, especially the DIY's. the foam will buff that a little anyway. now as to a round bottom, that would be good cause it could slowly rock back and forth and act as a surge device. no i wasnt serious

StirCrazy
12-12-2004, 07:44 AM
My tanks are all raised off a little, I haven't seen any tanks that rest directly on the glass, I am sure they are out there but far and few between?

for you IA owners do they have a raised bottom or are they flat?

Steve

Chin_Lee
12-12-2004, 04:43 PM
My tanks are all raised off a little, I haven't seen any tanks that rest directly on the glass, I am sure they are out there but far and few between?
for you IA owners do they have a raised bottom or are they flat?

flat and i do put foam under i think it was about 3/8" thick