PDA

View Full Version : Return pump recommendations for remote sump

smokinreefer
05-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Hey everyone,

So I really do have any idea what I should be looking for here...
If all goes well, I'll be able to set up some sort of remote sump in the basement crawlspace, for a 180 gallonish tank.

The return would need to go up about 5' then across about 12' and up another 5' to get back into the tank.

What are you guys using? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Bblinks
05-25-2015, 09:38 PM
I would go with a reeflo pump, the only thing that really goes wrong with these pumps are the seal for the shaft and if you change them out every year, you should get years of usage out of your pump.

sphelps
05-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Lots of options but in terms of flow rate you'd probably want to aim at around 10x turnover, could do a bit less but nice to the have the extra available encase you want to run reactors or end up with some extra losses from extra fittings and dirty pipe down the road. With 10' vertical and 12' horizontal you're looking at 15' minimum head pressure so ultimately you'd want to look at a pump capable of doing 1800GPH @ 15'.

In the reeflo series that's a barracuda or yellowtail. Keep in mind pumps this size will make a decent amount of noise so ensure the sump isn't directly under a bedroom or somewhere the noise would be a nuisance.

mark
05-25-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm running a Barracuda and no complaints. Seals, did once in the 5-6 years have the pump but they are really simple. Little noisy but our TV room is on the other side of the fishroom and with the door closed sound not a issue. Have maybe little less vertical than you (my sump is on a 4' stand) but figure I'm getting around 1000gph.

Nicer pump had was an Iwaki MD70RLT, little louder, little more amps, but no seals.

Thought about DC pumps but doesn't look like the common cheaper ones would work. Maybe something like a Blue Eco or other Euro makes.

daplatapus
05-26-2015, 02:31 AM
I'm running a Barracuda on mine as well. Been almost 3 years and I've never touched it. Still going strong and I bought it used off of Grizz. Like has been mentioned, they do hum though and no amount of insulating or isolating has gotten rid of it for me.
On my new system I'm running the Waveline DC12000 but the jury is still out for me. They are DEAD quiet. I have 3 of them and there have been issues with the controllers. I've been told new ones are on their way under warranty, so we'll see...

smokinreefer
05-26-2015, 04:26 AM
Reeflo, how's the noise level off one of these?

Barracuda, I'll keep it in mind, but the noise I'm not sure about.

DC12000, I like the dead silent part for sure.

daplatapus
05-26-2015, 04:27 AM
Barracuda is one of the models of pumps Reeflo makes.

mark
05-26-2015, 04:32 PM
daplatapus, you're running a DC12000 on a basement sump? What's your head and flow, internal or external?

daplatapus
05-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Yup. Right now I've got 2 on my 210. Total of 350 gal or so of water. Pumps are internal (heard they have a bit of a leak issue because the threads aren't exactly like the PVC). probably a total of 12' of vertical head + another 15-20 feet horizontal.

Flow is debatable. The one with the old controller is probably pushing much more than the new one. Just as a bit of a guess I'd say the old one is running 1000 -1200 gph? Where the 2nd generation replacement controller is barely pushing 400-500 I'd say.
I'm really hoping the controllers coming are better. I'f not I guess I'll be re-using my Reelflo :(

smokinreefer
05-27-2015, 05:05 AM
You're running 2 DC12000s in tandem? supplying 2 different return lines?

If quiet enough, maybe I can run one of these under the tank on a closed loop, as well as another for the return from remote sump.

The one under the tank would have to be as close to silent as possible, as the display will be a room divider between the family room and formal dining room.

I am also wanting to keep visible powerheads &/or plumbing in the tank to a bare minimum.

maybe a closed loop and a gyre or 2?

daplatapus
05-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Yup, each DC1200 is run independent of the other. I've run 1-1/4" lines from each of them to the tank. One feeds a manifold across the front, the other across the back. Off the 1-1/4" I tee'd off a 3/4" loc line then reduced the 1-1/4" to 1". Off the 1" I tee'd off another 3/4" loc line then reduced it again to 3/4" to a final loc line. So I ended up with 3 - 3/4" loc line's across the front and 3 across the back.
The reduction of the main line keeps back pressure along the line so I get a fairly even pressure across all three loc line's. Otherwise, there would much more pressure at the end and decreasing all the way back.

These pumps are quiet, dead quiet. BUT, I can't speak to their reliability. So far, out of 3 pumps, 1 burned out its controller within a year. But to be fair it was installed incorrectly. Not enough airflow to cool the controller.
The other 2 I've only been running for a month or so. And the new controller that was supposed to fix the old one absolutely sucks for flow but they have admitted issues with my controllers via their serial numbers and they're sending new ones out. So we'll see...