PDA

View Full Version : Jack Dempsey/feeding?

Dorkel Marine 1
06-30-2002, 04:09 AM
Hello freshwater guys. I have a question about a Jack Dempsey Cichlid and its feeding. I've been feeding him pellets and frozen food. However my question is how much. he decided the other day to devour a good sized pearl danio. I didn't think he could catch one of those guys. They've been in the tank together for about 2 months. So I'm wondering if any of you guys have a Dempsey and what your feeding regime is. Thanx in advance George.

Dale D
06-30-2002, 04:39 AM
Hi George.

My experience with owning a Jack Dempsey, was that they would eat everything and just about anything that would fit in their mouths. And then they would start looking at the things that wouldn't fit in their mouths.

I kept mine off and on in a 90 gallon tank with 2 large Oscars and he would frequently take a round or two out of them both. This is one fish that has come by it's name honestly.

I fed mine pellets mostly, but, he would also eat raw fish, krill or chicken. Most people tend to feed them feeder fish, but, these are not the best food/nutrition choice for them. They also like crickets,worms and other insects. The more varied the diet you can give them the better.

The large Flower Horn cichlid at the store, took a chunk of skin out of my hand the other day, so, they all seem to like different things to eat. :cool: :D ;)

Dale

[ 30 June 2002, 00:41: Message edited by: Dale D ]

Son Of Skyline
06-30-2002, 04:46 AM
Your Dempsey eating your pearl danio has nothing to do with how much you're feeding them. Dempseys (and most cichlids) should not be kept with these small fish. It's just a matter of time before your dempseys eat them all. They may not do it right away, but eventually they will. Good luck!

Dorkel Marine 1
06-30-2002, 05:02 AM
Thank-you Mason and Dale D. The pearl danios are going back as well as the barbs I have in the tank maybe. They've been in the tank together about 6 months with no problem. Thats why I figured the danios which were about the same size as the barbs would be alright. Ya bye-bye barbs and danios. Now is there any other fish that may be suitable to room with this guy. My son has adopted him as his own. I just can't take the dempsey back. I know that's not to wise but hey. Maybe another large Cichlid. Now one other resident in this tank is a kissing Gourami. It does not back down from this guy. So any suggestions about another fish would be appreciated. Happy reefin.

Dorkel Marine 1
07-02-2002, 04:37 AM
Well wisdom prevailed. With my son's permission we took Jack back to Big Al's. We brought back a nice little green severum. I know they grow big but I know they are very peaceful. Just so you guys know; Big Al's does not give any money now for Large Cichlids or Plecostomus. I was a little dissapointed. Jack was worth about $20. Oh well wouldn't be getting anymore Jacks for awhile. Hooked on reefin. Thanks again for the input guys.

Son Of Skyline
07-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Glad you did the right thing. Well, I personally like jack dempseys...I used to breed them. Well, that is to say that I used to have 2 of them in the same tank and that's all it took smile.gif