PDA

View Full Version : How is your temperature?

Wretch
05-20-2015, 09:23 PM
Well I noticed its starting to get warm out and I am running a fan on my tank almost all the time now. I dont have a controller so the best I can get my temperature stable at is 78.7. I just checked the temperature in my house and it is the same as the tank. Cant wait until it actually gets hot. How are the rest of you doing? and what are your plans to deal with the heat?

Aquattro
05-20-2015, 09:26 PM
I've always run a chiller, all cool in my tank !

Bblinks
05-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Mine went up to 29.9 last night...I promptly hooked up 2 fans and it at 27 this morning.

Reef Pilot
05-20-2015, 10:26 PM
I have a chiller, but am trying something different this year. I have a 25' coil of 1/4" RO line coiled up in my sump and am running tap water through it. It is a very small amount of water actually, just a small stream barely more than a fast trickle. I'm sure my RO/DI filter system wastes more water than this.

Tried it yesterday for the first time at 6 PM (tank water got up to 80F) and ran it until 7 PM. Tank water dropped 0.5 to 79.5F in that one hour. Incoming tap water is 60F while the output after coiling through the sump was 70F. After I shut it off, the tank water went up again a few decimal points before dropping through the night. This is for a 230g system.

I'll try it again later this afternoon, when my tank gets warm again.

I have a solenoid water switch (same as I use for my ATO) that I could hook up to my Apex and use the temp control to turn the water on an off as needed. Will see how it works manually for a few days first though.

hillegom
05-20-2015, 11:26 PM
So many possibilities with a fish room, even when it is small :biggrin:

gobytron
05-20-2015, 11:34 PM
interesting idea...

I wonder if you would have greater cooling by increasing the surface area of contact with a larger hose?

Kind of like the DIY chillers where guys would coil tubing through a reefer of some sort...

Reef Pilot
05-20-2015, 11:35 PM
So many possibilities with a fish room, even when it is small :biggrin:
Too bad my RO/DI filter is upstairs in my kitchen. If it was in my sump room I could run the RO waste water through the sump coil, and that might be enough to cool the tank sufficiently.

hillegom
05-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Too bad my RO/DI filter is upstairs in my kitchen. If it was in my sump room I could run the RO waste water through the sump coil, and that might be enough to cool the tank sufficiently.

I guess you have tried to run a line downstairs by the sink grey water?

Reef Pilot
05-21-2015, 12:02 AM
I guess you have tried to run a line downstairs by the sink grey water?
I do have an RO/DI line running downstairs to my sump room (for my ATO and water change), but the RO waste line is upstairs under the kitchen sink. No problem, though, as my sump room has all the tap and waste water plumbing there too, so was easy to hook up this cooling experiment.

mark
05-21-2015, 12:27 AM
central air, tank's happy, family happy, helps with the humidity

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-21-2015, 12:28 AM
My 5 tanks range from 74 to 77 F. Ground floor suite that stays reasonably cool year round. If it gets above 79 F, I have a 12000 btu portable air conditioner that I can plug in.

Anthony

intarsiabox
05-21-2015, 12:29 AM
central air, tank's happy, family happy, helps with the moisture

Me too!

WarDog
05-21-2015, 12:59 AM
Tank normally runs at 78 but over the last few days it got up to 79.5. Rather than having a daily fluctuation of 1.5 degrees, I just set the apex for 79. Going to hook up a fan tonight and see how that does before I freak out.

Seriously considering building a new house just to have a fish room in the basement and central air, lol!

Wretch
05-21-2015, 01:14 AM
Tank normally runs at 78 but over the last few days it got up to 79.5. Rather than having a daily fluctuation of 1.5 degrees, I just set the apex for 79. Going to hook up a fan tonight and see how that does before I freak out.

Seriously considering building a new house just to have a fish room in the basement and central air, lol!

My fan keeps my tank right at my 78.7. If that doesn't work I keep the stand doors open. When it gets hot it still usually stays under 82. I might add another fan too or just change out for a bigger one.

hondas3000
05-21-2015, 05:03 AM
My 5 tanks range from 74 to 77 F. Ground floor suite that stays reasonably cool year round. If it gets above 79 F, I have a 12000 btu portable air conditioner that I can plug in.

Anthony

Lol Anthony, fish tank before kid :). Just how I would too.

WarDog
05-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Hooked up a fan over the tank last night and plugged it into the apex for control. Easily brought the temp down to 79. Going to try to get it back down to 78 tonight. I was pretty surprised how effective it was!

Animal-Chin
05-21-2015, 05:22 PM
I run my tank at 80 all the time so even though it got warm out yesterday my tank only rose to 80.2. Its supposed to be a long hot summer in BC though and most of us don't have AC. When I get over 82 I just use a clip on fan and that always takes me back down to 80.

Aquattro
05-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Hooked up a fan over the tank last night and plugged it into the apex for control. Easily brought the temp down to 79. Going to try to get it back down to 78 tonight. I was pretty surprised how effective it was!

Just be aware of increased evaporation. I did this for a couple years, and manually filling my reservoir got to be a chore :)

WarDog
05-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Just be aware of increased evaporation. I did this for a couple years, and manually filling my reservoir got to be a chore :)

I'm using the 'Aquattro Method', no buckets. So it's all good.

The Guy
05-21-2015, 07:15 PM
My home has full a/c system so everyone is happy, I do have a as new 1/10 hp chiller, but won't be using it.

gregzz4
05-22-2015, 12:00 AM
I have a chiller on my system. It's in my sump room and the exhaust is drawn outside by fans.
I also use computer fans over the sump. This helps keep the chiller from running as much but ya, the evaporation is much more.
With all the gear I don't get any fluctuations.

I also have AC in both our Master and my sump room so when things get unbearable I run the furnace fan to circulate the sweeeet cold air :biggrin:

Wretch
05-22-2015, 12:03 AM
I have a portable air conditioner but my wife would kill me if I took it out of the bedroom and gave it to the fish. :lol:

gregzz4
05-22-2015, 02:37 AM
I have a portable air conditioner but my wife would kill me if I took it out of the bedroom and gave it to the fish. :lol:
If you have forced air as I do, and your portable is a decent size, a second unit would possibly cool your whole house ...

Wretch
05-22-2015, 03:00 PM
If you have forced air as I do, and your portable is a decent size, a second unit would possibly cool your whole house ...

No house, live in a condo. So no forced air unless you count the fans I have going.

Reef Pilot
05-22-2015, 03:16 PM
I have a chiller, but am trying something different this year. I have a 25' coil of 1/4" RO line coiled up in my sump and am running tap water through it. It is a very small amount of water actually, just a small stream barely more than a fast trickle. I'm sure my RO/DI filter system wastes more water than this.

Tried it yesterday for the first time at 6 PM (tank water got up to 80F) and ran it until 7 PM. Tank water dropped 0.5 to 79.5F in that one hour. Incoming tap water is 60F while the output after coiling through the sump was 70F. After I shut it off, the tank water went up again a few decimal points before dropping through the night. This is for a 230g system.

I'll try it again later this afternoon, when my tank gets warm again.

I have a solenoid water switch (same as I use for my ATO) that I could hook up to my Apex and use the temp control to turn the water on an off as needed. Will see how it works manually for a few days first though.
Been using my DIY chiller last few days, and can't believe how well it works. I dialed down the water flow to just over a trickle, so that that my output water is 75F (inflow tap water is 60F). So the water usage is amazingly low. I use about 5 US gal per day (measured it yesterday), which is only about 2 toilet flushes for perspective. Sure saves a pile of electricity though (and heat generated by my real chiller), plus no noise. We have central air, too, and keep the house at 75 F.

The 25' RO tubing is only $5.25 at Home Depot and I might add another 25' coil to see if the efficiency improves any further. I have room in the sump and had no trouble fitting the first 25' coil.

Wretch
05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
According to my car its 30C out right now in Surrey, how is everyones tank doing? Mine is holding at just about 27C (79.9F). Not too bad for being in a condo.

Reef Pilot
05-29-2015, 10:32 PM
My DIY chiller is working great...

WarDog
05-30-2015, 12:07 AM
My DIY chiller is working great...

Lol.

So far, the 6 inch desk fan over the tank is holding the temp at 79F.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-30-2015, 01:41 AM
Ranging between 75 F for the fw & 77-78 F for the sw reefs.

gregzz4
05-30-2015, 01:55 AM
Tank is doing fine, but my new salt water tank is 82F. That'll turn the chiller on for a bit after my weekly WC. Suppose I could put a fan on it ... pfft

canadianbudz604
05-30-2015, 02:12 AM
My tank is 81 and they all fine. if it gets bad I just float a bag with a couple chunks of ice in it

sumpfinfishe
05-30-2015, 02:16 AM
Came home to a whopping 81.5 today, I really need to figure out how to set my delay on my portable ac unit!
Top floor condo so i get the heat from above an below.
Also need to figure out how to reset my alarm mode on my reefkeeper light, as its stuck in alarm mode so i cannot go into standbye feeding mode:sad:

monza
05-30-2015, 03:20 AM
Chillers for sale Calgary
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114320

gregzz4
05-30-2015, 03:57 AM
House is 84/29 right now but I'm being stubborn about turning on the AC
I am feeling a tad bit light-headed though ...
If I eventually faint, maybe I'll come to after it's cooled off :biggrin:
Of course, cold beers are helping. And the only reason I'm not outside is 'cause it's WC night ( and I'm typing when I should be WCing)

We build industrial power generators and tested one in the building yesterday that was so large we couldn't even fit the engine all the way into the test bay. So the radiator is outside the bay - 11' x 11' - and blowing all the 200+C heat into the shop. Plus the load banks outside the door blasting their 2500amps of power burn-off. They utilize heater elements to use up the power output. So 2500amps of electricity converted into oven-style heater elements and you get the idea. It's freakin' HOT :surprise:
The test bay hit close to 50C and the rest of the shop was between 40 and 45. And I was all dressed up while welding.

This heat at home isn't so bad right now after being stuck to my coveralls all day.

Yup, that's one big Rad
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/Perkins%20Rad%20photo_zps0d4hifr9.jpg