PDA

View Full Version : WTB Monti and Rainbow Dragon

reefwithareefer
05-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Anyone have some nice blue/deep purple, plating Monti and/or Rainbow Dragon acro frag they would be willing to sell?

Ryanerickson
05-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Never heard of rainbow dragon

reefwithareefer
05-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Never heard of rainbow dragon

Probably why it is fairly pricey. Found a piece in the USA awhile back, but did not want to spend the 200.00 for a 1" frag at the time.

Ryanerickson
05-20-2015, 06:10 PM
Plus you can't ship acro across boarder

reefwithareefer
05-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Plus you can't ship acro across boarder

Typically, this is true. apparently the RD was cultured and not directly from the ocean. They said it could be imported, but we all know there is all sorts of hassles convincing customs etc...

Ryanerickson
05-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Good luck with that. Think they were just trying to sell it once they have your money they don't care. As far as I know all acro needs proper paper work.

Ginu
05-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Cities is required for all stony coral from what I remember.
Also live rock is a no/no
I believe Zoas/fish are OK to bring over.

reefwithareefer
05-21-2015, 03:24 AM
Cities is required for all stony coral from what I remember.
Also live rock is a no/no
I believe Zoas/fish are OK to bring over.

i have brought some across before. Yes, you need all the proper paperwork showing customs it is allowed across etc. The issue is proving that what you are bringing across is what you say it is and what is allowed. They want it easy for them to understand or else it is too easy for them to just say no. They can not possibly know everything about what is allowed etc... Like anything in life, if you have all your ducks in a row, it usually makes it easier for all involved.

DAVE
05-21-2015, 01:59 PM
i have brought some across before. Yes, you need all the proper paperwork showing customs it is allowed across etc. The issue is proving that what you are bringing across is what you say it is and what is allowed. They want it easy for them to understand or else it is too easy for them to just say no. They can not possibly know everything about what is allowed etc... Like anything in life, if you have all your ducks in a row, it usually makes it easier for all involved.

You are taking a huge risk. At any point they could arrest you and charge you with the importation of a cities restricted animal.

The only ducks you should line up is the proper paperwork (i.e. a re-export cities permit), otherwise you are taking a huge risk

Ryanerickson
05-21-2015, 02:28 PM
You are taking a huge risk. At any point they could arrest you and charge you with the importation of a cities restricted animal.

The only ducks you should line up is the proper paperwork (i.e. a re-export cities permit), otherwise you are taking a huge risk

This is what I thought driving sps across border is crazy even if you have done it before and were successful doesn't mean it was right.

reefwithareefer
05-21-2015, 05:30 PM
This is what I thought driving sps across border is crazy even if you have done it before and were successful doesn't mean it was right.

How is it not right if it is all above board and legal?

reefwithareefer
05-21-2015, 05:33 PM

Again. I am not sure how anyone took my words as doing something wrong or illegal. I had all the paperwork, i brought them across legally, but was a pain in the butt, even though I had all the right paperwork etc. Not all corals are illegal to bring across the line!

Ryanerickson
05-21-2015, 07:02 PM
You actually paid for a cities permit?

reefwithareefer
05-21-2015, 08:43 PM
You actually paid for a cities permit?

Permits are required for importers/exporters not hobbyists. Schedule types play a role as well.
i am no expert by any means. I spent the time researching and talking with customs etc so that i could drive back with some corals. It was awhile back and do not remember every little detail, because in the end run it was a hassle. If the paper work was not exactly what a customs agent wanted, they could rake me over the coals. Like anytime you go across the border, the agents vary in mood, knowledge, expectations etc etc. Where one agent might think all was good, another will haul you in, interrogate you an then search your vehicle. I lived in California for quite awhile and spent many crossing in the office for nothing, while the next time I crossed with my parrot and nothing happened, just a have a good day.

reefwithareefer
05-21-2015, 09:02 PM
I also physically drove them across, and from what customs told me, If i were to try and ship them across, that would be a whole different story. There are some US online stores that apparently can and will ship to Canada. Some people have said they have bought from these places and had them shipped with no issues. I have no experience in that, so I have no comment or knowledge of this method. It is my understanding that if the coral is cultured in the US it is way less complicated to import.

http://ec.gc.ca/Publications/0D42F8E7-414F-4D81-87DD-17C9D8382728%5CCOM1511_CITIES_Brochure_Trade_e_v6. pdf

davej
05-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Permits are required for importers/exporters not hobbyists.

I think you are wrong there. If something is listed as requiring cites it doesn't matter if you are a business or an individual. You still need it. You might get lucky and get an agent who is ignorant as to what is allowed or not. But if you get one who is knowledgeable, and you are bringing something across without proper permits, you might be setting yourself up to get cavity searched every time you cross the border in the future. In my opinion not worth it.

reefwithareefer
05-21-2015, 09:30 PM
I think you are wrong there. If something is listed as requiring cites it doesn't matter if you are a business or an individual. You still need it. You might get lucky and get an agent who is ignorant as to what is allowed or not. But if you get one who is knowledgeable, and you are bringing something across without proper permits, you might be setting yourself up to get cavity searched every time you cross the border in the future. In my opinion not worth it.

The only thing I can say to that is that the agent I spoke with said I did not need one and when I came across with corals, I was not asked for a permit. So did I get wrong info from the first guy an the second did not know any better as well,or was the first guy correct and that is why I was not asked for one by the second agent? Or is the info you believe to be correct, actually incorrect?

All I know is that I hid nothing, had the paperwork that I was told I needed and came across with the corals. They spent more time trying to figure out if it was for a business or hobby and the fact that my passport was expired than any CITES issues. Which is the opposite of what I thought would be an issue

Ryanerickson
05-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Exactly doesn't matter who you are stony coral all need cities permit think you got lucky you can bring back soft coral I'm pretty sure unless they are attached to rock. Live rock is not allowed.

Ryanerickson
05-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Sounds like you had a lucky day pretty sure everyone you dealt with was confused.

reefwithareefer
05-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Exactly doesn't matter who you are stony coral all need cities permit think you got lucky you can bring back soft coral I'm pretty sure unless they are attached to rock. Live rock is not allowed.

Not sure where you are getting your info, but the link I put up, that is from the Gov website, states that no permit needed for hobbyist. I am not sure if this applies for all countries or just for the US/Canada import/export

As I stated before, I am no expert, but I find it hard to believe that my experience was based on pure luck.
I have no Idea of what your background is, in bringing corals across the line. Can you tell me what your experience was, when you brought them across? In fact, what has anyone's experience been? I am curious if I was in fact lucky, or my research and efforts paid off by doing it properly as per the customs agents direction.

I put them on acrylic plugs before crossing, so there was no confusion as to what material the plug was..IE concrete or live rock.

Ryanerickson
05-21-2015, 10:46 PM
I don't know exact rules but there has been lots of threads on this site about this exact topic, end result is always we are not aloud to bring back sps. Possibly bigshow (Dave) can explain. If I could do this I would be on my way to reef raft USA to grab a angry bird frag.

Ryanerickson
05-21-2015, 10:48 PM
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/ryan_erickson/Sig57-2_zps9n4pcc5y.jpg

davej
05-22-2015, 04:43 AM
Not sure where you are getting your info, but the link I put up, that is from the Gov website, states that no permit needed for hobbyist.

Can you point out where it says this in the link you put up? Can't see it. Not trolling here not in the slightest. Just can't find anything I would interpret to say this. Would love it if it's true.

gregzz4
05-22-2015, 05:44 AM
I too would like to get my hands on the coral Ryan linked !!!

Wheelman76
05-22-2015, 07:08 AM
I too would like to get my hands on the coral Ryan linked !!!

$400 U.S. For a 1" frag and it's yours.

davej
05-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Still not seeing where it says it's ok for hobbyist to bring stony corals across the border.
Reefwithareefer where in that linked page does it say that?

Ryanerickson
05-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Not seeing it cause it's illegal lol

Animal-Chin
05-26-2015, 03:19 PM
I spent a couple of hours one day talking to employee's of the Canadian Government to find out if bringing coral back was ok. I was transferred around a bunch but ended up with someone who seemed very confident on what she was talking about.

She advised me, that as someone who didn't intend to resell, like having a peice or two, not hundreds, it was completely ok to bring back coral from American stores. I asked her about the hard stony coral as I heard you needed special permits and she told me flat out that I didn't. She said there were no restrictions on live coral for home aquariums and that if I did run into trouble at the border to provide the agent with her departments number (sorry I don't have it anymore) and she would settle it.

Now truth be told when I went to Crystal Reef aquatics in Bellingham I didn't see any coral I really wanted so I didn't try it out. I had all the info written down in my wallet for a while but one day was like "ah I don't need this" and threw it out. Sorry I did, I'd love to post it here as I've seen a lot of discussion about this.

Again, not saying you should do it as it seems to fall into a gray area, I'm just relaying what I was told by someone who worked in the area of the government who ok's bringing in live animals and she said it was perfectly fine. She thought it was funny that I was grilling her too cause I kept asking "are you sure"..."are you totally sure"...

Muller
05-26-2015, 07:39 PM
I was told that as long as it is for your personal use and not going to sell it then it is fine.

Ryanerickson
05-26-2015, 07:57 PM
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/ryan_erickson/31F46A47-2B52-4012-A733-8DBDD5463B62_zpsdkhdqhpo.png
old post but dont think anything has changed you guys are crazy believing you legelly can do this good luck.

jason604
05-27-2015, 01:42 AM
How bout those who think that U can bring Sps back legally from the states just go n try it. If it works then u can rub it in 😄. N if it doesn't then oh well U got balls to prove ur point.