PDA

View Full Version : lighting advice

gmann
05-19-2015, 08:23 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if I could get some feed back regarding lighting options. Im currently running a vega over my 60 gallon marine land cube, and while I do like the color it is giving my corals, a friend pointed out that my zoas were reaching for the sky. I was running everything at 65% but have since started ramping up to 85%.

I was already thinking of doing an upgrade but the zoa issue only made it more pressing. Atm my options are:

Buy the upgrade from ai direct
Buy a kessil
Buy a new 52
Keep vega and supplement with t5

Im open to other options, but my main requirement is that I can use them on my next tank, so brands like maxspect are done. I also looked at radion, but their price is insane for wht I get.

Thanks for the help

intarsiabox
05-19-2015, 09:31 PM
I would just give your current fixture a chance and dial it up gradually over a couple weeks rather than quickly. You don't want to shock the corals. Are your corals browning out due to lack of light?

gmann
05-19-2015, 09:43 PM
My corals arent browning, just the zoas have long stalks now. As for the light increment its ramping up from 65% to 85 over a 3 week period. My biggest wonder is I was at jl and they had a similar set up, but the settings on their radion was only at 45, which got me thinking the vega was too weak

Wretch
05-19-2015, 11:56 PM
I have 120w evergrow led and I run mine at 100% blue and 50% white on a 54g corner tank. I am sure your lights are fine you just need to turn them up slowly. No point spending money if you dont need too. Unless you feel it is just time for something new :biggrin:

gmann
05-20-2015, 03:34 AM
ive been itching for a while tbh, but i cant justify the jump for a radion ahaha

as for the kessil, i love/ miss that shimmer