PDA

View Full Version : Apex Jr. vs Apex Standard

Wretch
05-16-2015, 04:20 AM
What does the standard controller do that the Jr. doesn't? and can the Jr. be upgraded to the point that it is the same as the standard? On a budget here(my frag budget :cry:)

duncangweller
05-16-2015, 04:33 AM
Don't ask me what is different, but I know that the Jr or the lite (which has now been discontinued) cannot be upgraded to the same as I 'full' apex. You can still control a tonne of devices with the Jr and lite but there are ports or connections missing that cannot be added without purchasing the 'full' apex.

I think that makes sense

Wretch
05-16-2015, 04:40 AM
Don't ask me what is different, but I know that the Jr or the lite (which has now been discontinued) cannot be upgraded to the same as I 'full' apex. You can still control a tonne of devices with the Jr and lite but there are ports or connections missing that cannot be added without purchasing the 'full' apex.

I think that makes sense

I guess what I need to know would a normal Apex user miss those ports/connections? or can you run your tank fully with the jr and upgrades?

duncangweller
05-16-2015, 04:45 AM
For sure you can.

You only get a 4 port outlet with the Jr (I couldn't do it without at least 8). You can still control lights, temp pumps etc.

You would have to buy an expansion module for a pH probe if you want that capability though.

Otherwise you can easily run a tank with a Jr. When I bought mine I was told to keep in mind possible expansion. I'm glad I did as I used all 8 ports on my eb8 and could have done with a couple more too. To add another eb8 is over $160 I believe. An eb4 isn't much cheaper either so bear that in mind also.

mark
05-16-2015, 04:50 AM
aquarium controller comparison link (http://www.tbaquatics.com/blog/2014/06/13/aquarium-controller-comparison-chart/)

Wretch
05-16-2015, 04:52 AM
Most of my equipment is stand alone stuff so if I had the jr I would just run heating/cooling and lights on the 4 outlets. Eventually upgrade and get an eb8 or a dc8 not sure what the difference is.

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 04:55 AM
Buying the EB8 is pricey. And you get no pH probe, if you wanted one. I think also no variable ports. For the cost, I'd go with full. I use 2 EB8 bars on my tank, no way 4 would do it.

Wretch
05-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Anyone mind sharing what exactly they have there apex controller doing for them? Just in general thanks.

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 05:20 AM
2 heaters
return pump
skimmer
chiller pump
ATO solenoid
Ca Reactor pump
CO2 solenoid
Temp control
main lights
supp lights
fan
variable speed pumps x 4
email alerts
feed pause
pump pause for WC

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 05:23 AM
oh, and auto feeder. When I ran LED, I used it to manage the lighting profiles

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 05:47 AM
Apex might rock it, but I still prefer my DA Reefkeeper Elite
Much easier to program, less money, lots of expandability etc

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 05:52 AM
Much easier to program

Light

If Time 13:00 Then ON

pretty easy :)

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 05:54 AM
PC - program is called myReef 2.0 and it's all right there, just like any other easy to use windows stuff :wink:

Plus, I've seen a lot of posts asking how to program an Apex, and none for a DA unit - because they are easy to use ...

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 05:57 AM
PC - Apex interface. Drop down menus. Doesn't get easier. Or from your phone. Or tablet. Have you used an Apex?

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 05:59 AM
Nope, but as I said above, I've seen a lot of users having issues and asking questions
Besides NET, my unit is a breeze, and the NET issue is only an ISP thing

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 05:59 AM
So you are saying Apex has a PC interface now ?

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 06:00 AM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/reef_raf/Apex_zpszhmgccjw.jpg

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 06:01 AM
So you are saying Apex has a PC interface now ?

Always has

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 06:03 AM
http://reefbuilders.com/files/2010/04/my-reef-digital-aquatics1.jpg
http://reefbuilders.com/files/2010/04/my-reef-digital-aquatics-4.jpg

Wretch
05-16-2015, 06:05 AM
Ok guys i only have Mac in my house does that matter?

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 06:07 AM
Apex has the same, just a dark background. Plus Fusion as the new interface, with added features. The base unit is it's own webserver, so no SW needed.

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 06:07 AM

Nope, it's web based. If you have a browser, you're good.

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 06:09 AM
Not likely to be able to use the older DA stuff with a Mac. Not sure about their new ARCHON unit

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Apex has the same, just a dark background. Plus Fusion as the new interface, with added features. The base unit is it's own webserver, so no SW needed.
Then why do I see so many posts asking for help programming ?

If I had the same interface as you I'd be all over it :biggrin:

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 06:13 AM
Then why do I see so many posts asking for help programming ?

If I had the same interface as you I'd be all over it :biggrin:

No idea why people have trouble. Here's the Fusion page

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/reef_raf/fusion_zpsin5hb3us.jpg

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 06:15 AM
You can get overly complicated with profiles and virtual outlets, but that's advanced stuff. All basic functions are drop down menus. Even setting basic pump profiles is easy and graphical, then you can manually code stuff. I usually use the manual "advanced" tab to type in my code, but you don't need to

Wretch
05-16-2015, 06:18 AM
You can get overly complicated with profiles and virtual outlets, but that's advanced stuff. All basic functions are drop down menus. Even setting basic pump profiles is easy and graphical, then you can manually code stuff. I usually use the manual "advanced" tab to type in my code, but you don't need to

Did you buy the jebao to apex module for your pumps?

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 06:19 AM
Did you buy the jebao to apex module for your pumps?

No, Torx on the board here sells cables. Cheaper than the module, plugs into the variable speed ports (on the full model)

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Yup, looks very user-friendly to me
I'd be happy with that

But I still like my stupid easy to use interface

Wretch
05-16-2015, 06:21 AM
No, Torx on the board here sells cables. Cheaper than the module, plugs into the variable speed ports (on the full model)

so you used the same power supply that came with the pumps?

Wretch
05-16-2015, 06:23 AM
Do you guys really tell your wives what you spend on this stuff? :lol:

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 06:24 AM
so you used the same power supply that came with the pumps?

Ya, nothing changes, I just don't use the controllers. And when I need to replace the pumps, I can buy just the stand alone units for even less than the whole kit. You also get finer control using the Apex over stock controller.

Bugger
05-16-2015, 11:21 PM
The Jr can be upgraded to everything the apex does. There's no point in it though. I don't have an apex just a reef keeper and my tank runs fine without it. If you really think about it being a control freak dosen't make your tank any better other then the fact that you own the device. The only thing it has going for it is the text messages to warn you if your heater is broken or something. I found just paying the 30 dollars every three years to replace the heater is enough

Aquattro
05-16-2015, 11:41 PM
The only thing it has going for it is the text messages to warn you if your heater is broken or something.

And it's shiny!! oooooo

Sorry I wasted my money now, I could just buy a new heater. I feel silly :)

duncangweller
05-17-2015, 01:14 AM
If you buy the Jr you are unable to use the cable for the jebao that torx sells as the Jr doesn't have the port required for such cable.

Wretch
05-17-2015, 02:16 AM
If you buy the Jr you are unable to use the cable for the jebao that torx sells as the Jr doesn't have the port required for such cable.

Unfortunately Torx doesn't make the cables any more. Have to go with the jebao module or make your own.