PDA

View Full Version : Opah! World's first Warm-Blooded Fish Species......

Taipan
05-15-2015, 01:14 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/15/opah-the-worlds-first-warm-blooded-fish-species-flaps-fins-to-generate-heat

It's actually kind of cute.....

Bblinks
05-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Very cool

albert_dao
05-15-2015, 06:33 PM
I really wish pop-science would have better clarity. I remember watching some documentaries years ago that stated Great White Sharks and Bluefin Tunas were warmblooded. Now I'm reading that they're sorta-not-really warm blooded. Would it have killed the writers of those documentaries to say that? I mean, c'mon guys, lay the truth on me, I can handle it. The idea that only laypersons make up the vast majority of the viewership/audience of those NATURE&SCIENCE-themed materials is ridiculous.

Anyway, done venting. Cool fish. ♥___♥ moon shaped happy face fish :D

Bblinks
05-15-2015, 06:47 PM
I really wish pop-science would have better clarity. I remember watching some documentaries years ago that stated Great White Sharks and Bluefin Tunas were warmblooded. Now I'm reading that they're sorta-not-really warm blooded. Would it have killed the writers of those documentaries to say that? I mean, c'mon guys, lay the truth on me, I can handle it. The idea that only laypersons make up the vast majority of the viewership/audience of those NATURE&SCIENCE-themed materials is ridiculous.

LOL

rishu_pepper
05-15-2015, 07:02 PM
OPA!

Looks like a sunfish. Cool stuff!

Scythanith
05-15-2015, 08:18 PM

You're very correct about a few fish being "warm-blooded". The term for an animal that can vary its internal body temperature from the environmental temperature is known as Poikilotherm. It's a counter-flow blood routing through certain muscle groups, in conjunction with other tricks that raises their internal temperature above that over the surrounding waters. The big difference is poikilotherms cannot keep their internal temperatures at a steady spot like homeothermic animals, ie mammals.

And yes, cool fish :)

albert_dao
05-15-2015, 09:08 PM
You're very correct about a few fish being "warm-blooded". The term for an animal that can vary its internal body temperature from the environmental temperature is known as Poikilotherm. It's a counter-flow blood routing through certain muscle groups, in conjunction with other tricks that raises their internal temperature above that over the surrounding waters. The big difference is poikilotherms cannot keep their internal temperatures at a steady spot like homeothermic animals, ie mammals.

And yes, cool fish :)

See? I can handle that. My wee itty bitty ego had no problems having that explained step by step. F-pop science writers.