PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Stingrays

johnmac
06-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Anybody ever keep fw rays? Im planning to pick up a small pair for a 125g, 72x18x24. Prob some teacups or motoro's. Any suggestions or comments?? Love to hear about any previous experinces.

smokinreefer
06-10-2002, 02:17 PM
no matter what, just be sure they are actively eating and full bodied. their stomach is near the base of the tail, so be sure it isnt sunken in. also check the forehead, between the eyes, make sure it is not sunken in there as well.

but if the stingrays in question are full bodied and active eaters, you shouldnt have any problems.

try not to keep with very aggressive feeders, the rays can be slow to feed at times.

if you can find some nice specimens, go for it. rays are awesome, and can be very tame. you can pet them and hand feed them as well.

johnmac
06-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Checking them out is going to be hard. I have to get my LFS to order them in, so im going to have to trust him with the order, they are not a normally stocked item. I was planing to keep them with a few irridesent sharks and a few apollo sharks. Would they cause a problem with the rays??

UnderWorldAquatics
06-10-2002, 09:55 PM
Ive kept both species of ray. Id say stay with the teacups to start as the motoro are very pricey. Im actually ordering a few motoros and mabey some leapordi's in for myself as well as a dozen or so Vampire Tetras,(by far one of the coolest fresh water fish in the world)
I thought I might as well start up another fresh water tank, its been awhile.

smokinreefer
06-11-2002, 04:38 AM
those sound like prety good tankmates, tho i havent kept appollo's myself. could you find a pic to post of them, to refresh my memory.

hmmm...if you order them in, is it a pay when you order deal, or will they order them in cuz you are interested, and jsut sell them like regular, or are you obligated to purchase them?

most of the rays i've seen dont arrive in the best of shape. but there is always the exception.
hope you can find some nice rays.