PDA

View Full Version : Bio-pellet or GFO?

Deep_azul
05-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Hey, I've just had my tank running for approximately four months and I'd like to add a media reactor. Presently it's a FOWLR with a plan to add corals when it's properly matured. I was wondering what the concensus is on media for reducing phosphates. I think GFO would have a more immediate effect but it sounds like bio-pellets might be better long term. Opinions? Thanks:)

riceboy
05-10-2015, 10:51 PM
All in one pellets. would be the best in your situation.

TimT
05-10-2015, 11:54 PM
I think the best strategy would be Foz Down. It is much simpler to use and also a lot more cost effective than GFO or Pellets.

Cheers,
Tim

input80
05-11-2015, 12:15 AM
I think the best strategy would be Foz Down. It is much simpler to use and also a lot more cost effective than GFO or Pellets.

Cheers,
Tim

+1, using it & got amazing results.

Deep_azul
05-11-2015, 12:33 AM

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks. First I've heard of Foz Down.

Aquattro
05-11-2015, 03:42 AM
Thanks. First I've heard of Foz Down.

The vendor doesn't market it well :)

whatcaneyedo
05-11-2015, 04:18 AM
I presently get by on about $50/year of GFO for my 300gal system. I change 1 cup monthly the same as I do with activated carbon. For me this is easier than daily dosing. Unless you have a nitrate problem biopellets may not work for you. Do you currently test for nitrate and phosphate? Read some of the articles on organic carbon dosing before attempting it. If you have elevated phosphate but no detectable nitrate it will do little for you and can even negatively effect your system.