PDA

View Full Version : Food for a Sailfin tang

Azilla
09-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Whats a good food to feed my sailfin tang. He seems to love Mysis shrimp but what kinda veggie stuff?

Delphinus
09-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Nori ( ... wrapped around a piece of PVC.)

AJ_77
09-27-2004, 10:18 PM
I wish we had a picture of this in the newbie section... something to do later.

Wrap it real good with the elastic, so only tiny bits can be torn off at once, otherwise you'll have strips and chunks of it floating around the tank - not so good.

:biggrin:

LostMind
09-27-2004, 10:41 PM
I'll post a pic of my setup when I get home from the office ;)

maybe someone could sticky it then!

Azilla
09-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Nori? where can i purchase it?

LostMind
09-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Just about everywhere it seems now...

Saveon, safeway and even IGA carry nori now. It's in the asian aisle with the sushi stuff. Make sure you buy plain nori, not the salted or seasoned stuff. It's usually like $0.99 per 100 sheets.

LostMind
09-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Pic of my feeder in the tank:

http://mentalprodigy.com/tank/tangfeeder/tangfeeder1.jpg

Closer pic outta the tank:

http://mentalprodigy.com/tank/tangfeeder/tangfeeder2.jpg

'Nuther outta the tank pic, showing how I attached the screen by using a bamboo skewer and threading it between the screen holes:

http://mentalprodigy.com/tank/tangfeeder/tangfeeder3.jpg

Pic showing where I got the "screen" material from:

http://mentalprodigy.com/tank/tangfeeder/tangfeeder4.jpg

I am too lazy to resize them atm. So they are HUGE. Sorry. And, this is not my invention, I read about it on the boards somewhere....

HTH

Azilla
09-30-2004, 04:00 AM
well i made the same kinda feeder as u put it in the tank and when i woke up all the nori was gone and now there is chunks all over my tank. :( think my shrimp ripped it apart all night. :cry:

Quinn
09-30-2004, 04:51 AM
Likely. The tang may take some time to realize that it can eat the nori. Perhaps provide smaller portions until then.

LostMind
09-30-2004, 05:01 AM
Yah, the cleaner shrimp will get it.

But, my cleaner eats everything he pulls off. Strange.

I also try to put the nori in the tank in the morning and I take out any leftovers (usually none or very little) before I head to bed...

Quinn
09-30-2004, 05:07 AM
I don't know what the deal was with my tang but she would eat a sheet in about ten minutes, normally... and she was quite fat, so I don't think she was starving. Good appetite I guess. My male clownfish also nibbled at it, but never the female.

Delphinus
09-30-2004, 05:10 AM
In time, that tang will make quick work of devouring that nori. In the meantime, yeah, it might take a little while to get used to the idea.

I just have to wave a sheet of nori in front of the tank to make my sailfin go nuts in anticipation. I can't put it in there fast enough.

Your tang will come around. :biggrin:

LostMind
09-30-2004, 05:16 AM
my two baby hippos and lawnmower blennie fight over the half sheet I put in each morning. It's funny, like two grandkids pestering grandpa :)

And its usually all gone by the time I am home from work.

Cap'n
10-01-2004, 01:19 AM
I have never been concerned with lose pieces of nori floating around the tank as those are the "fun" bits that the tangs will chase down and eat first. The other fish get in on the action as well but none go crazy over a fresh sheet like my yellow tang; quite entertaining.

Richer
10-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Have you tried soaking the nori in garlic extract? Up until recently, my algae blenny never touched nori in my tank (tied to a rock, to pvc, you name it). However, after I started soaking it in garlic extreme, my blenny took to it almost immediately. Now that I got it eating nori sheets, I've got green poop floating around all over the place :rolleyes: ...but at least my blenny is fat :mrgreen:

-Richer

Azilla
10-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Ok well here is a strange one. I have been puttin strips of nori in my tank and when i walk away and come back it is gone. I know the shrimp tears it off then it floats around but it always goes missing. Well tonight i watched. I put the strip in the shrimp came over tore it up then ripped off the entire chunk it floated around the tank then i saw my bubble corals tenticles come out and it grabbed the nori sheet. As i watched the bubble coral ate the entire sheet of nori right before my eyes................ :eek: :eek: Now i didnt know they ate this kinda stuff???

LostMind
10-01-2004, 07:48 AM
wow, now thats cool :)

Take a pic!

LostMind
10-01-2004, 07:49 AM
btw - how does the shrimp manage to rip off the whole sheet thru the mesh?

Azilla
10-01-2004, 09:33 PM
I didnt have it on a screen cuz i dont have one. But i used fishing string. I dunno he does rip it off. I will get some pics of my corals eattin the seaweed. My bubble coral eats it and my pearl bubble eats it kind wierd i think.

AJ_77
10-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Try a long, stretchy rubber band and wind it around the tube and nori about 6 times. That should hold it down - even a real hungry tang can't rip that off in sheets.

Azilla
10-02-2004, 01:57 AM
Here is a pic of my bubble coral eatin Seaweed. Yes he ate the whole chunk. Also my peral bubble ate some as well.

www.phatkids.net/bubble.JPG

Quinn
10-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Wow... :eek:

Azilla
10-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Just another quick question How often do u put NORI into your tank???
Do u put it in daily?? or 2x a week?

LostMind
10-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Thats crazy :)

I put nori in daily. I have two baby tangs and a lawnmower blenny who love the stuff.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-24-2004, 07:18 AM
I divide my daily dose in half & feed that twice a day. Works out to 1/4 sheet each time.