PDA

View Full Version : Possible Ich

Jpower
05-03-2015, 02:05 AM
So basically picked up 2 Snowflake Clownfish in Calgary! I am super excited to have my first fish, unfortunatly I think they have Ich. Basically put them in my JBJ quarantine cube filled with water out of my Display Tank. One of the clowfish has a small pin sized hole in the top fin and then what looks like 1 grain of salt on its back fin. Unsure if this is ich or not but better safe then sorry.

Was planning on getting a med with copper and a test kit. Is this the easiest way to go?

Jpower
05-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Went to 3 shops in Calgary to ask about treatment for Ich and recieved 3 different answers. 1st said Ruby Reef kick Ich, 2nd said Hypo, 3rd said copper. Funny how everyone uses something differnet and there is no "standard" treatment. I kept dart frogs for years and never ran into so many differnet opinions.

Aquattro
05-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Another opinion is don't worry about ich due to one spot. Lots of causes for a single spot, so unless it gets worse, you're probably ok

Jpower
05-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Im prolly a little paranoid as it's my first fish. Do people treat fish in quarantine reguardless?

Aquattro
05-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Some do, some don't. Some just observe and treat if needed. Ideally you have a fully mature tank to observe a new fish and get it eating, etc, but most people don't have that set up.

Craigdillman
05-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Watch it and make sure its eating and looks ich free before adding it its easier to treat it now while it's in QT than after in display

Coasting
05-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Sometimes the fish get sand stuck to them and it can look like ick. Is the spot still there? Some of my dummies, especially my Formosa whos always digging in the sand, (even the clowns) will make you panic for a second thinking they have ick when its really just sand. Any chance it could be sand like my guy below?
A lot of people garlic soak the fish food before they feed it. You could try that.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/IMG_4185.jpg

Jpower
05-06-2015, 12:08 AM
The spot vanished. I havn't treated with anything and plan on just watching them for the time being. I added a fireshrimp to my DT (my wife and kids wanted something in there) seems to be having a good time.

Saw the clowns sleeping yesterday morning, for a sec I thought they were sick. As soon as the lights were on there were back to normal.

Thanks for the replys

Jesse

TimT
05-06-2015, 12:35 AM
The spot vanished.

Part of the life cycle of Ick is for the cysts to fall off, lay on the bottom maturing and then release a small swarm of "baby ick". The cycle then keeps going. I would keep your clownfish in quarantine and observe it for a week to see if anymore spots appear.

For Ick and Flukes I recommend Hyposalinity as your not poisoning the fish with copper. It is important that you have an accurate refractometer. If the water is not at the correct salinity for treatment it will not be effective.

Cheers,
Tim