PDA

View Full Version : How much skimmer is too much?

vanreefer
05-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Have a vertex alpha cone 300... Planning to run it on ~200 gallons thinking I may just use one of the pumps instead of both
Thoughts on how much skimmer is too much? Risks? benefits?
Cheers VR

whatcaneyedo
05-03-2015, 01:30 AM
You already own the skimmer so whats there to loose in trying? I have never seen a tank suffer from 'over' skimming. I have seen plenty that were under skimmed.

reefwars
05-03-2015, 03:29 AM
I always overpower any chance I get my current skimmer is rated roughly three times my system lol same here ice yet to see a system suffer from clear over skimming :)

vanreefer
05-03-2015, 03:42 AM
I always overpower any chance I get my current skimmer is rated roughly three times my system lol same here ice yet to see a system suffer from clear over skimming :)

Send me that tank then!!! 😀 I'll skim the bejeezus out of it

Myka
05-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Have a vertex alpha cone 300... Planning to run it on ~200 gallons thinking I may just use one of the pumps instead of both
Thoughts on how much skimmer is too much? Risks? benefits?
Cheers VR

I think you will be disappointed using this skimmer on such a small volume of water. Generally, skimmer manufacturers are rather optimistic when rating the skimmers' performance. The Royal Exclusiv skimmers (inc the Vertex Alpha), are rated very well.

The biggest issue with the Vertex Alpha 300 in particular is the neck size. The neck size is enormous at almost 6 1/2". The water has to have a certain amount of DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) to create a foam head. With an enormous neck size, you need an even stronger foam head. At first the skimmer will work great, and you will be happy. After awhile, using a skimmer like this on such a small water volume will very likely produce a situation where you will not get a consistent foam head as the skimmer will reduce the DOCs to the point where it can't make a good foam head, then the DOCs will rise again, you'll get a foam head again, and DOCs will reduce, and so on. If the neck size was narrower, this would be less of an issue. I think running only one pump rather than both would actually work even more against you than for you.

I wouldn't do it, but if you already have it, give it a go.

Fwiw, "over-skimming" is pretty much an old wives' tale - using an awesome skimmer and underfeeding sure can be a problem though. It matters more to pick a skimmer that suits the system, rather than just putting something huge on it thinking it will perform better.

Madreefer
05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
And than there's another old wives tail that the Royal Exclusive skimmers run way better on a tank that it is under rated for. Kind of confusing isn't it:biggrin:
I do agree with Mindy though. It's a bit overkill. I'm running an Alpha Cone 250 on my tank which is approx 380G total water system and another one on a system with 450G and they both perform great. But if your not happy with that alpha 300 I'll gladly trade you for a 250:lol:

vanreefer
05-03-2015, 03:29 PM
I think you will be disappointed using this skimmer on such a small volume of water. Generally, skimmer manufacturers are rather optimistic when rating the skimmers' performance. The Royal Exclusiv skimmers (inc the Vertex Alpha), are rated very well.

The biggest issue with the Vertex Alpha 300 in particular is the neck size. The neck size is enormous at almost 6 1/2". The water has to have a certain amount of DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) to create a foam head. With an enormous neck size, you need an even stronger foam head. At first the skimmer will work great, and you will be happy. After awhile, using a skimmer like this on such a small water volume will very likely produce a situation where you will not get a consistent foam head as the skimmer will reduce the DOCs to the point where it can't make a good foam head, then the DOCs will rise again, you'll get a foam head again, and DOCs will reduce, and so on. If the neck size was narrower, this would be less of an issue. I think running only one pump rather than both would actually work even more against you than for you.

I wouldn't do it, but if you already have it, give it a go.

Fwiw, "over-skimming" is pretty much an old wives' tale - using an awesome skimmer and underfeeding sure can be a problem though. It matters more to pick a skimmer that suits the system, rather than just putting something huge on it thinking it will perform better.

Thanks for the info... Got the skimmer with a larger project in mind... Ended up buying a house that wasn't amenable to the 300g display I had also purchased... Planning on a school of anthias so will be feeding heavy... Hopefully won't be disappointed😉

Myka
05-03-2015, 03:32 PM
But if your not happy with that alpha 300 I'll gladly trade you for a 250:lol:

That might be a really good deal for both of you. The neck diameter on the 250 is 5 1/2" rather than 6 1/2" on the 300.

Myka
05-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info... Got the skimmer with a larger project in mind... Ended up buying a house that wasn't amenable to the 300g display I had also purchased... Planning on a school of anthias so will be feeding heavy... Hopefully won't be disappointed😉

Feed the crap out of the tank many times a day (hello auto feeder!) to produce a consistent amount of waste in the water column and you might be ok!

Madreefer
05-03-2015, 04:06 PM
That might be a really good deal for both of you. The neck diameter on the 250 is 5 1/2" rather than 6 1/2" on the 300.

Yea what that sweet lady said:lol:

vanreefer
05-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Yea what that sweet lady said:lol:

U two are in cahoots... 😤... We'll see how it goes

Reef Pilot
05-03-2015, 05:23 PM
You already own the skimmer so whats there to loose in trying? I have never seen a tank suffer from 'over' skimming. I have seen plenty that were under skimmed.
Totally agree. With skimmer capacity, lots is good, more is better, and too much is just right.

Werbo
05-09-2015, 04:49 AM
i know bblinks (aka crazy Rich) is using a BK supermarine 250 on a 150G system. BK 250 is similar rating to a Alphacone 300 (without looking it up). Last I heard he was happy.

Maybe Rich will chime in...