PDA

View Full Version : ID: Dark Brown Algae

GoFish
04-27-2015, 12:38 AM
So i have this dark brown algae growing on stuff, cant seem to find an ID for it. Not casuing any problems that i can see but would rather see coraline if anything. Its really dark and has a bit of a slimy feel and is firm. I can scrape it off with a knife, but it cant be brushed off

An ID would be much appreciated, or even advice on how to control it. If any tank parameters are needed just ask

Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/HXzrPbN.jpg

Myka
04-27-2015, 01:14 AM
Does it get tiny, fuzzy hairs/filaments on it sometimes/often? If so, it's Pseudolithoderma sp. I think I can see the filaments - tough to say the filaments are very, very fine. It used to be called Ralfsia sp. but the name was changed - you can find more pics under this old name than the new one.

This is what Julian Sprung says about it, I've the same experience:

"It is a brown seaweed that adheres tightly to rock and other solid surfaces. The filaments are a sign that it is growing and healthy. This is, in my opinion, as desirable alga, quite like various coralline algae. A strong growth of it usually indicates good water quality. I can't imagine why you would want to remove it!

If you wanted to curb its growth and encourage more diversity of corallines, you might try adding one Diadema urchin. Otherwise leave it alone.

Sincerely,

Julian Sprung"

Aquattro
04-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Looks like the beginning of brown wafer algae. Google that and see what you think

Myka
04-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Looks like the beginning of brown wafer algae. Google that and see what you think

Yeah, might be Lobophora. Lobophora has the feeding filaments too, but only on the outside edge.

GoFish
04-27-2015, 02:47 AM
Does it get tiny, fuzzy hairs/filaments on it sometimes/often? If so, it's Pseudolithoderma sp. I think I can see the filaments - tough to say the filaments are very, very fine. It used to be called Ralfsia sp. but the name was changed - you can find more pics under this old name than the new one.

Yes Mindy I can see "very very very" fine filiments on the surface, it feels and looks like velvet and is maybe 1mm deep. The base is very thin and encrusts like coralline. It does look like something an urchin would take care of but its a frag tank so that's outta the question

Had a look at some photos of wafer algae (Lobophora) as you suggested Brad but don't see anything about it that looks like it's going to fan out/upwards like that, unless there's a strictly encrusting type.

reefwithareefer
04-27-2015, 03:01 AM
Yes Mindy I can see "very very very" fine filiments on the surface, it feels and looks like velvet and is maybe 1mm deep. The base is very thin and encrusts like coralline. It does look like something an urchin would take care of but its a frag tank so that's outta the question

Had a look at some photos of wafer algae (Lobophora) as you suggested Brad but don't see anything about it that looks like it's going to fan out/upwards like that, unless there's a strictly encrusting type.

Mindy, thought I may have the same thing. I looked it up and there are a few variations,one of them being an encrusting/matted variation. I may have the branching type

Just my 3 cents worth...

GoFish
04-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Ok could very well be the encrusting type then. Any methods of control I should be aware of, is it part of a cycle or should I learn to live with it
Will have another browse later on for some answers
Thanks

Myka
04-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Yes, Lobophora has an encrusting type too. The main difference is the filaments are only on the outside edges of the Lobophora and Pseudolithoderma has the filaments all over. The filaments should be more like 3-5 mm long, and very, very fine. These are feeding filaments though, so the algae have the ability to retract the filaments. As mentioned above, when looking for pics of Pseudolithoderma, look up Ralfsia instead as you'll find many more pics.

If it is Lobophora, I would be trying to remove it. If it is Pseudolithoderma (Ralfsia), I wouldn't bother messing with it.

GoFish
04-27-2015, 03:17 PM
So it's not the Lobo type then as there are filaments on the entire surface, not 3-5mm but it could just be young and not there yet... Searching again for the Ralfsia I'm finding more photos that look identical to what I have. Thanks for reiterating that, searching for Latin names can be a chore when I see scientific articles everywhere in 50% latin

Thanks again Mindy :)