PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic saw blade.

sleeman
09-26-2004, 04:10 AM
I was looking at 10" blades at Canadian Tire yesterday. There was one blade there that said it is made for cutting melamine, plastics etc. It was about 18 bucks. What am I looking for when buying a blade for cutting acrylic? I need to cut up to 1/2" thick sheets.
Where and what blades are you using?

Cheers,

AL

StirCrazy
09-26-2004, 03:44 PM
either of these will be awsome (I have the second one)
http://www.1blades.com/products.ecs/list/142/1486/0/5/

the problem with a melamine blade is they are usaly a alternating tooth design and would melt acrylic. If you are only going to use it ones.. better off going to a plastic shop and gettingit cut for you.

Steve

sleeman
09-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks Steve.
Is there anything cheaper that can be bought locally? ie Home Depot/Revy? That won't melt the acrylic.

Cheers,

Al

whaase
09-26-2004, 05:46 PM
I used a couple different ones. One was a 60 tooth triple chip and the other was a 80 tooth triple chip. They were each about $90 (but we have them in our shop for other things) They both worked very well. Most should work (Get as many tooth as you can afford) and try and find a thicker one. They don't flex as much (straighter cuts), put the blade about 1" above the material and cut slow. I've cut alot of melamine this way and I get no chips on the bottom.

Walter

sleeman
09-26-2004, 06:15 PM
The saw I am using has a 180 tooth blade on it, I am just concerned about melting during the cut. Will this blade suffice? I am making a sump, so good joints are obviously a must.
I guess we can make a practice cut and see how it looks.

Cheers,

Al

Invigor
09-26-2004, 06:26 PM
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/routing.html

some extra info. marc does TONS of acrylic work

whaase
09-26-2004, 06:31 PM
The saw I am using has a 180 tooth blade on it, I am just concerned about melting during the cut. Will this blade suffice? I am making a sump, so good joints are obviously a must.
I guess we can make a practice cut and see how it looks.

Cheers,

Al

I would try cutting a small piece and see what happens.

Walter

sleeman
09-26-2004, 06:32 PM
I am actually using some of his ideas in my sump. I did not realize he mentioned the type of blade to be used.
I am going to try his bubble tower idea in hopes of eliminating the bubbles returning to my tank.

Cheers,

Al