PDA

View Full Version : click click click!

Azilla
09-26-2004, 04:00 AM
Ok over the last few days i have been hearing this god awful clicking sound coming out of my tank. I took a flash light at night a looked over the entire tank and found a crab well looked like a crab. I noticed where he hangs out there is a bunch of snail shells dunno if its him killin them or eating them cuz they died. Is there anyway to catch him??? :eek: drivin me mental what ever it is.

trilinearmipmap
09-26-2004, 05:13 AM
I used an empty glass apple/orange juice container (single serving size) and baited it with shrimp meat, laid it near where the crabs hide out, if you angle it right the crab can not crawl back out.

AJ_77
09-26-2004, 05:51 AM
I'm gonna have to try that method out, just cause I'm getting really curious as to what that thing clicking in there is. Even though it hasn't been killing stuff, I want to see it (and in a glass bottle would be fine). :biggrin:

Azilla
09-26-2004, 05:58 AM
How do u angle it?? :cry:

Samw
09-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Here's my pistol shrimp trap. It also catches hermit crabs, emerald crabs, etc. In the first 2 pics, the pistol shrimp would be able to get the bait without entering the trap and then make the escape with the food. So, I made the ramp higher. The shrimp was not as lucky the 2nd time around and you can see him in the trap in the 3rd pic.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Trap/img_5982_std.jpg

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Trap/img_5984_std.jpg

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Trap/img_6022_std.jpg

Azilla
09-26-2004, 06:31 AM
thats kool im gonna make one :)

trilinearmipmap
09-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Sorry I don't quite get it Sam.

It looks like you made the "top of the coke bottle inverted into the bottom" trap and then added and ?airlift tube into the side. Can you explain please?

Samw
09-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Good question. :smile: Well, I first made an inverted coke bottle trap but it couldn't catch a thing. Then I added the ramp and the trap caught everything. I could have just gotten another bottle and built another trap that just had a ramp. But, I didn't have another bottle handy.

However, with this design, I think maybe the wider opening at the top allowed me to more easily control the water flow in and out of the trap. By placing the trap under the aquaclear, I can see small particles move out of the trap and down the ramp. That's when I see the inverts notice the bait and climb up the ramp. If there was no water flow through the trap, the inverts don't seem to notice/smell the bait.

So no real good reason for inverting the bottle other than I already had it that way and maybe it might help let the inverts smell the bait as the top acts as a funnel for waterflow.

By the way, the ramp was just the plastic tube that holds the coral epoxy sticks.

sumpfinfishe
09-26-2004, 10:41 PM
I hope that clicking you hear is actually a pistol shrimp and not a mantis :eek:
I had a blue pistol shrimp years back, he was cool hung out with both the yellow watchmens but i had to get rid of him after hearing that clicking all night. It got so loud that sometimes I would wakeup and think that my tank was cracking :evil:

Goodluck and watch those fingers :biggrin:

Azilla
09-28-2004, 05:31 AM
What did u use as bait?

Azilla
09-28-2004, 05:34 AM
LOL DUH SORRY GOTTA READ BETTER. NM! :eek:

Samw
09-28-2004, 08:21 AM
What did u use as bait?

I had a prawn in there (You can't see it in the pic). I also added brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.

Azilla
09-29-2004, 01:29 AM
WELL!! Today i got home from work and cleaned my glass on my tank i noticed a Purpleish colored thing in my Zooz. I looked closer and it looked like and SHed skin of a mantis shrimp!!!!! i want to get it but the Zooz ate it :( I dont want to have a mantis on my tank the clickin is drivin me bonkers what kills them! How can i catch it.

Aquattro
09-29-2004, 01:49 AM
I've always read that mantis shrimp eat their own molts, and that coincides with my experience. Of the 3 or 4 mantis I've kept, I never saw a molt...

Azilla
09-29-2004, 02:56 AM
I dunno what it was but the molt was Purple and it looked like a mantis. It was like 1/2 inch big or so. :eek:

StirCrazy
09-29-2004, 03:08 AM
I've always read that mantis shrimp eat their own molts, and that coincides with my experience. Of the 3 or 4 mantis I've kept, I never saw a molt...

mine also, in the 1.5 years I never say a molt and both doubled in size so they were molting.

Steve