PDA

View Full Version : swapping out lights going old school

Skimmerking
04-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Hey all well I'm down in New Brunswick now bought a house and giving my cube away to my nephew. This house wont really have a good place for a cube just with the type of house it is. Its a side split so I will do a smaller cube like a 20x20x20 I'm going to run a pendant 250 w MH thou never liked the LED its the newest one its the 6200 HV one with next to nothing for hours on it. still haven't figured out what I will be doing this tank will be automated thou. and it will be a easy tank shrimp, cuke's and starfish , and a few smaller fish and a mmmmmmmmmm a skimmer what will I do this time. might go with a alpha cone again I loved that 170 that I had

canadianbudz604
04-24-2015, 03:54 AM
Have you been drinking?

Aquattro
04-24-2015, 03:55 AM
Have you been drinking?

Are you new here?? :razz:

christyf5
04-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Are you new here?? :razz:

Bwahahahahahahaha. Clearly, yes.

And I do believe metal halide lighting is just school. Not old school. Old school is rocking an 8 track deck. Theres lots of us out there still running MH, its not like we're having to go through catacombs for old parts and stuff, you can still buy bulbs and fixtures :razz:

Wretch
04-24-2015, 06:06 PM
I have looked at going to metal halides but my only concern was heat. I live in a condo and it gets quite warm in the summer. Using a fan and LEDs I can keep the temperature where I want it. Not sure how much a metal halide would raise the temperature. Also wasn't sure if 250w was enough and HQI or mogul. Was confusing to someone who came into the hobby when LEDs were the norm.

christyf5
04-24-2015, 06:25 PM
yeah LEDs are a definite saviour for those dealing with heat issues. Im lucky that my tank is in the basement where its 18-23C year round. I might have considered LEDs if I had heat issues. Ah who am I kidding, I would have saved myself from having to remortgage the house for them and bought a chiller instead :wink:

gobytron
04-24-2015, 07:00 PM
when you said old school, I was expecting VHO's.

Which I think are still awesome for hot, horribly inefficient fluorescent's.

christyf5
04-24-2015, 07:13 PM
when you said old school, I was expecting VHO's.

Which I think are still awesome for hot, horribly inefficient fluorescent's.

Damn! I still have a VHO setup from a couple tanks ago. I loved what it did for my Iwasaki 6500Ks :razz:

gobytron
04-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Damn! I still have a VHO setup from a couple tanks ago. I loved what it did for my Iwasaki 6500Ks :razz:

Iwasakis with the requisite Ice Cap Ballast.:idea:

There was a time when i thought there was no way that anything could make corals fluoresce as nicely as the uvl 454 did.

LED's these days actually seem to be on par.

sphelps
04-24-2015, 09:22 PM
You'll probably need a chiller on a 20x20x20 with 250W halide Mike. I'd try the 6200 on it first for a bit, since you already have it and all...