PDA

View Full Version : Garden Eels Gopro video

corpusse
04-20-2015, 02:59 AM
Shot this earlier tonight with my gorpro hero

https://youtu.be/GY17FyoifxU

Got quite a few of them in the shot and you can see them eat pe mysis which they are still sometimes afraid of. Tank is a custom 90g 36x24x24

smokinreefer
04-23-2015, 09:03 PM
very cool.

how long have you had them for?

I've always wanted to try keeping them, perhaps one day in a seahorse tank.

Apo Reefer
04-23-2015, 09:08 PM
are you using a red filter on this video? I've seen your 180G video, very nice shot.

corpusse
04-24-2015, 12:33 PM
very cool.

how long have you had them for?

I've always wanted to try keeping them, perhaps one day in a seahorse tank.

I've been keeping garden eels for about 3 years, almost 4. I think about adding seahorses to the tank from time to time. I just have some gobies and a filefish in with them.

They require a bit of an acclimation period but are relatively easy to keep long term. I can't say the same about the splendid garden eels. While I did manage to keep one for about 2 years the few others I kept did not last long. Keep in mind by the time they are for sale they're already super stressed being out of the sand for days and days.

No red filter, this tank is lit by old T5's. I don't bother with corals in this tank (anymore) since the 180 is less than a foot away. Without worrying about nitrates I can feed more, use old bulbs ect. Perhaps when my other tanks are more full I will consider adding corals again.

shiftline
04-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Awesome. I love those guys

Taipan
04-24-2015, 03:10 PM
That's just awesome. :smile:

Delphinus
04-24-2015, 09:47 PM
That's awesome, I love their markings.

How deep is the sand bed?

gobytron
04-24-2015, 11:56 PM
respect for actually setting up a proper tank for these guys.

I have seen them before, but only in reef tanks, and those ones never seem to last that long.

I was considering setting up a similar system for a blue spotted jawfish as their natural habitat is very similar.

corpusse
04-25-2015, 03:00 PM
The sandbed is around 7" maybe 7.5 Initially I had it slopping further but they do sometimes go on the shallower side. I had it up to 11" initially but when I moved the tank I replaced the sand and did not add as much. I think anything over 6" is okay but I recommend going deeper if you can. Also the tank does not have as much live rock as it normally would so the dsb also offers filtration.

I sometimes think about the jawfish as they are really cool. The little 2 spot goby does a very good job of keeping the sand clean and he's barely over 1" I also have a big male Mandarin who's super shy for some reason and a Yasha goby with a pistol shrimp that have a cave in the back. All the fish are secretive less the firefish.

You can certainly keep corals with them but it's just a lot more work. I gave up worrying about cyano and algae and nitrates and just feed the eels enough. Especially at first they are very skittish and you have to feed them a lot because they are scared of the food. Now I can get away with 1 big feeding a day but I often feed them twice.