PDA

View Full Version : New Fluval M90, Calgary

Jpower
04-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Hello to anyone checking this out. Im brand new to the forum and brand new to saltwater. I've been reading everything I can about keeping a reef tank and decided to take the plunge. Im new so any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Plan on keeping 5 fish, a shrimp and some sps.

I ended up going with the Fluval M90 as I really liked the look. The tank has been placed in my theater room (hoping the noise wont bother the fish too much) as it keeps a steady temp and has no direct light. I purchased 40lbs dry rock from Wai's, 20 lbs live rock, a bag of live sand, a bag of cut to fit filter pad and 2 Korilia 600 powerheads. I may have gotten too much live rock but im hoping that will be good for the tank.

The tank was filled with Ro water mixed in buckets and filled up last Tuesday. All rock and sand was placed into the tank ahead of the water. I added a 6 pack of Prodibio Start Up as per advice from a LFS. I have been taking readings everyday since and am hoping to see changes soon. I have had 0 amonia and 0 nitrite for the last 3 days and am starting to notice my dry rock is turning a darker shade. I have kept the lights off so far.

The tank came with a fluval power head, Fluval SEA High Performance 80cm LED marine lighting, and a Fluval PS1 skimmer. I replaced the powerhead and am hoping to replace the skimmer with something a little quieter. I am unsure about the light. I really dont like how I cant program the day and night switch on seperate timers. If anyone can recomend another led I'm open to suggestions.

I will attempt to post a few pics if I can figure out how. Please bear in mind that rock placement will be changed.

Jpower
04-19-2015, 03:45 PM
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah262/Jpower/image.jpg2_zpsbb7vhdci.jpg

Jpower
04-19-2015, 03:46 PM
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah262/Jpower/image.jpg3_zpstzxnmc9u.jpg

Jpower
04-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Here is a list of the fish i'm hoping to put into the tank when my cycle has completed.
- Firefish (purple or exquisite)
- Pair of Clownfish (not sure which kind yet?)
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Diamond Watch Goby
- Fire or Cleaner Shrimp
- various CUC

Was hoping to put a crab thats not a Hermit in as well but so far have been unable to find any that dont look like a threat. The tank is open so I'm hoping to place some sort of screen over it to keep any jumpers in.

rishu_pepper
04-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Pretty looking tank!

Some potential upgrades I'd look at in the future (especially if you plan to keep SPS) would be better lights (MH, LEDs, T5, etc. whatever floats your boat) and better water movement (many tout the new Maxspect Gyre; MP40s are proven performers, Jebao are great budget pumps).

What are the dimensions of the tank?

Do consider a QT system (it's heartbreaking to see fish dying or suffering through ich/other diseases). Designer clowns are the best! :)

Looking forward to progress! :biggrin:

Jpower
04-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Hi Brian

The tank dimensions are 90x40x42 36 gallon. It has a seprate sump in the back with 4 chambers. The tank did come with LED's however I don't belive they will provide adequet lighting for Sps. As im new I think I will start with a softie to get a feel for things.

That dbl pwrhead you linked looks awesome. I'll consider one of those in the future for sure. I seem to be getting great movement with the 2 pwrheads I have but always like to try new tech out.

I am considering a quarantine tank atm. I was thinking of picking up one of the small jbj 12g cubes or a fluval mini setup. I guess you just put in some live rock and saltwater and just let it cycle. How long do you keep a fish in quarantine?

Jesse

rishu_pepper
04-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Hi Brian

The tank dimensions are 90x40x42 36g. It has a seprate sump in the back with 4 chambers. The tank did come with LED's however I don't belive they will provide adequet lighting for Sps. As im new I think I will start with a softie to get a feel for things.

That dbl pwrhead you linked looks awesome. I'll consider one of those in the future for sure. I seem to be getting great movement with the 2 pwrheads I have but always like to try new tech out.

I am considering a quarentine tank atm. I was thinking of picking up one of the small jbj 12g cubes or a fluval mini setup. I guess you just put in some live rock and saltwater and just let it cycle. How long domyou keep a fish in quarentine?

Jesse

Sounds like a good idea. I would say stay away from SPS for a few months since it's a new tank, until everything stabilizes. Softies like xenia and mushrooms are kinda cool.

Yeah maybe stay with the Koralias for now until you feel more flow is necessary.

QT is a great idea. I believe the general idea is just to leave it empty except a bit of large PVC/clay pots for the fish to hide. Seed it with a bag of ceramic media from your main tank then leave it in your QT. Frequent water changes to keep ammonia down (test often or buy a AM badge). The consensus is 4 weeks minimum in QT, with 6 weeks being a good acceptable timeline.

I'm fairly new too, the best advice I can give you is ask questions (which you are doing well!) and do lots of research, and patience is the most important virtue you can have. Happy reefing.

Jpower
04-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Picked up a 12g jbj nano cube to use as a quarantine tank. Hid it on my wife in my hobby room downstairs. Im sure she will find it at some point, but i'll just tell her I picked it up with the M90...

Ive been testing my tank everyday and am at 0 amonia, 0 Nitrite and Nitrate is at 10ppm for the last 4 days. I am starting to see my white dry rock turn a darker shade with a few prominent darker patches. I feel I may have too much rock in the tank and am thinking of removing a huge piece. (36g tank with 50 plus lbs of rock)

The stco fluval ps1 protien skimmer is so loud its starting to drive me nuts. Have been reading a vew reviews on quieter units and am planning on switching to one sooner then later.

My tank is super small compared to all the ones i'm reading about. I can only immagine maintenance and water changes on such large setups. I feel like setting up a sump room in my basment, but I guarantee ill be single if I try :biggrin:

hackerberry
04-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Too funny, we've got the same tank and same quarantine tank. Emerald crabs should be fine as an addition, I have 2 and never touched any of my corals. Get a Gyre 130 and replace your LED with 2 AI Prime. Replace the skimmer with a Tunze DOC Skimmer 9002. Mine has a small reactor (Innovative Marin).

Jpower
04-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Those are some sweet products. Im wondering in the hydra 26" would be big enough for the tank vs the singles. Im mostly planning on softies for now. I was hoping someone on here had the same setup and could let me know how they have it setup. Can you tell me how you have your back chamber filtration setup and possibly show off some oics of your tank?

Jesse

hackerberry
04-23-2015, 01:31 AM
2 AI prime is more than enough for your tank. It covers 18X18 in. My back chamber from intake is...Tunze skimmer/Heater and Reactor/Bio balls and other biological filtration/ last is the foam filter and the pump with UV attached to the return hose.

Jpower
04-23-2015, 02:21 AM
Hi Hackerberry

How do you like the reactor? You have alot more filtration then I was planning on going with. Im brand new to this hobby and learning new things pretty much everytime I read something. I was just reading up on the reactors and heard good things aside from them clogging if left for over a week.

I was basically going to run skimmer, heater, carbon and then filter pad. However now im thinking the reactor sounds like it could have some added benifit as well.

I would definatly like to get into harder to keep corals down the road but am hoping to start with alot of easier stuff for the first year to see how steady I am able to keep my water parameters. I think I will purchase 2 of the primes, I like how you dont need a controller and can use your phone to set them up!

How many fish are you keeping in your tank?

Jpower
04-29-2015, 11:10 PM
I am looking for a little advice. The stock Fluval heater I have in my tank is very inaccurate. This morning I woke up to my tank at 71 degrees with my heater set at 80. I we t and picked up a jager and placed it in as the 2 others I have in my quarentine and waterchange bucket seem to be spot on. Basically I would like a controller that will use my heaters and will hopefully be more accurate. Which one is decent?

I also ordered a Tunze 9004 to replace my fluval ps1 skimmer. Looking forward to the change.

Jesse

hackerberry
04-29-2015, 11:19 PM
I'm pleased with the reactor. So far I have 2 clowns, a royal gramma, a Hector's goby and a lawn mower blenny. Got tons of acans and zoas.