PDA

View Full Version : Power bar in stand?

Wretch
04-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Currently I am using an American DJ power bar and have a chauvet power bar coming. My american dj bar is outside my stand right now and I was thinking of moving it inside. How do power bars and what not do in such a moist environment? Don't want to ruin my power bars.

MKLKT
04-17-2015, 07:08 PM
You can always separate it into a partition with plywood and then have a smaller hole at the bottom to feed cabling through, keeps it away from direct water and creates a drip loop.

Wretch
04-18-2015, 06:52 PM
You can always separate it into a partition with plywood and then have a smaller hole at the bottom to feed cabling through, keeps it away from direct water and creates a drip loop.

I am not worried about direct water contact. More all the moisture in the air from evaporation, especially in the warmer months. But if no one else is having issue I guess I will go a head with it.

Myka
04-18-2015, 07:21 PM

This is what I have in my stand with my American DJ powerbar. It keeps humidity down to have that partition in there. My stand also has an opening in the back about 2" gap across the length of it.

FishyFishy!
04-18-2015, 11:34 PM
Although I have had no issues with mine, I have heard of them shorting after some time due to moisture. I'm unsure how much time. But im at almost a year with no issues. I think I heard lastlight saying his shorted. Maybe he can chime in.

Trigger Man
04-19-2015, 12:32 AM
I have always kept my power bars inside my stand with no issues. My last tank had 2 power bars for over 4 years with no problems. I had put them on a shoe box, just incase the sump overflowed or a plumbing connector started leaking.

gtareef
04-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Had mine inside near the returns for 3-4 years without issues.

The Guy
04-19-2015, 02:55 PM
If your concerned you can always install a 4" computer fan to the cabinet to ventilate any moisture.

WarDog
04-19-2015, 06:22 PM
If your concerned you can always install a 4" computer fan to the cabinet to ventilate any moisture.

Laurie is correct. I have my sump and electrical (minus Apex) inside my completely enclosed stand with a 80 mm computer fan for ventilation. Humidity readings range from 40 to 55% throughout the day. I get the same readings from the portable electronic humidistat outside the cabinet as well. I also measured humidity inside the stand without the fan running and readings got as high as 70%. I think as long as you take precautions against water splashing and inspect for salt creep during regular maintenance you should have no problems. Check my 65 gal build thread for more details.

Wretch
04-19-2015, 07:07 PM
Laurie is correct. I have my sump and electrical (minus Apex) inside my completely enclosed stand with a 80 mm computer fan for ventilation. Humidity readings range from 40 to 55% throughout the day. I get the same readings from the portable electronic humidistat outside the cabinet as well. I also measured humidity inside the stand without the fan running and readings got as high as 70%. I think as long as you take precautions against water splashing and inspect for salt creep during regular maintenance you should have no problems. Check my 65 gal build thread for more details.

When I built my stand I cut an 18"x15" hole in the back of it. It allows for ventilation and for cords and pipes to run through. I have been looking at adding fans to the stand permanently just haven't figured out the best way to do it yet. Usually just use a house fan.

WarDog
04-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Sounds like you are good to go. I would add a fan to keep the air moving and have your powerbars as far and as high from water as possible.

DCDN
04-20-2015, 04:52 AM
I've always had my American dj bar in the stand. The first tank above the sump and then when I upgraded tanks I moved it to a partitioned portion of the tank. 4 years and its still working. I did have one outlet cut out on me but not sure for what reason.