PDA

View Full Version : How to permanently get rid of Aptasia

sewerman45
04-15-2015, 12:52 AM
I have had aptasia in my tank for 6 months. Every week I go in and kill everyone that I can find. But every single time I must miss one somewhere and they slowly start coming back. It's making me crazy. I use aptasia x and it does seem to kill them but they just come back somewhere else.

I tried adding a peppermint shrimp but my clownfish is a jerk and killed it. I really should get rid of him, he bites me like crazy.

Anyone have any advice for me? Or is this something that I will just always struggle with?

Thanks.

Slyguy00
04-15-2015, 01:05 AM
I have had aptasia in my tank for 6 months. Every week I go in and kill everyone that I can find. But every single time I must miss one somewhere and they slowly start coming back. It's making me crazy. I use aptasia x and it does seem to kill them but they just come back somewhere else.

I tried adding a peppermint shrimp but my clownfish is a jerk and killed it. I really should get rid of him, he bites me like crazy.

Anyone have any advice for me? Or is this something that I will just always struggle with?

Thanks.

You could try a copperband butterfly fish or berghia nudibranchs depending on your setup and what you have in it. Aside from those proven methods there isn't much out there that will remove them for good. Aptasia x just stuns them and causes them to release spores. The harder you try the faster they come back.

Madreefer
04-15-2015, 02:33 AM
Hypodermic needle and muriatic acid. I've used a full index finger sized syringe with zero problems. But I'm prolly running close to 400G in total water volume.

monocus
04-15-2015, 02:50 AM
berghia are the best but take time.my bannerfish ate all my aptasia,or you could try a file fish.if your using acid,lemonjuice,kalkwasser,aptasia x etc. do it during the day as aptasia is more prone to releasing daughter cells at night if they are stressed.a pencil blow torch is another fun way to get rid of them but you have to take your rock out of the display.you also might want to check your nitrates as i found aptasia spreads like wildfire with higher nitrates.personally i like to have aptasia in my overflow and sump as they polish the water

The Guy
04-15-2015, 04:12 AM
I had a couple in my 33g tank, so I invited a couple of peppermint shrimp to stay and after 2-3 days aptasia all gone.

mark
04-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Was being overrun so got a matted filefish. Some of the aptasia where nearly as big as the fish, took a little bit but basically all gone. Occasionally can still find a little one in the rock but they don't last for long. Haven't noticed the fish go for anything else than flake or pellets. Little funny looking but interesting to watch.

Reef Pilot
04-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Pearlescales were the answer for me. Easier to keep than Copperbands and don't bother my corals. And they look a lot nicer than a filefish...

gobytron
04-15-2015, 03:24 PM
there are literally SO many threads about this all over the internet.

You won't hear anything here that you won't find already posted somewhere else.

Use your google.

gobytron
04-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Pearlescales were the answer for me. Easier to keep than Copperbands and don't bother my corals. And they look a lot nicer than a filefish...

Isn't that a fancy gold fish?

Reef Pilot
04-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Isn't that a fancy gold fish?
Well, if you think Butterfly fish look like goldfish... lol.

mark
04-15-2015, 03:42 PM
there are literally SO many threads about this all over the internet.

You won't hear anything here that you won't find already posted somewhere else.

Use your google.

everything has already been posted

Aquattro
04-15-2015, 04:19 PM
everything has already been posted

Pretty much. To get rid of them for good, bleach or acid soak. Otherwise, use one of the popular control methods. Fish, slugs, shrimps, chems or lasers. Everyone will have their favorite go-to solution, none really being any better than the others. Except lasers. That's just cool! :razz:

Dearth
04-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Pretty much. To get rid of them for good, bleach or acid soak. Otherwise, use one of the popular control methods. Fish, slugs, shrimps, chems or lasers. Everyone will have their favorite go-to solution, none really being any better than the others. Except lasers. That's just cool! :razz:

+1 especially the lasers

strider
04-15-2015, 04:59 PM
I think he meant Pearlscale Butterflyfish.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+25+3284&pcatid=3284

I am curious too? Are they reef safe?

Reef Pilot
04-15-2015, 05:25 PM

Mine are, but you have to train them properly in the QT tank. I have talked about this before, and you can look at my journal link below. Went from tank and rocks totally infested with hundreds of aiptasia to nothing. Have a few in my overflow and sump, but they don't survive in my DT's. Have had one Pearlscale in each of my tanks, along with all kinds of SPS, LPS and softies for almost 5 years now. Best fish I ever had... Tried Copperbands before, but they are not nearly as good as these.

mark
04-15-2015, 07:37 PM

might be taking a chance, specially with the links saying reef safe: no and FOWLR mentioned in the description

sewerman45
04-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. As someone pointed out, I could have just googled this, and have extensively, but there is so much contrasting info available and it was nice to hear what has worked for people.

I think I will just try to change my attitude towards aptasia. It seems like it is just something that I will have to occasionally deal with and shouldn't stress about it. I don't think my tank is big enough for most options (60 gallons) and if it gets out of hand I will look into nudibranches or something. Maybe I'll try another peppermint shrimp.

Thanks everyone.

gobytron
04-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. As someone pointed out, I could have just googled this, and have extensively, but there is so much contrasting info available and it was nice to hear what has worked for people.

I think I will just try to change my attitude towards aptasia. It seems like it is just something that I will have to occasionally deal with and shouldn't stress about it. I don't think my tank is big enough for most options (60 gallons) and if it gets out of hand I will look into nudibranches or something. Maybe I'll try another peppermint shrimp.

Thanks everyone.

The issue is that you can kill every single aiptasia anemone you see, but there will be many more in cracks, crevices and such that you just can't get with a laser or syringe.

Every aiptasia infestation is different, some worse and some fairly benign.

You should look at getting a couple of peppermint shrimp, then focus on doing as much manual removal as you can with whatever method you like.

eventually, you will win the war.