PDA

View Full Version : Different crab in my order?

Grant maj
04-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Hello everyone I'm new here. I just got an order of red scarlet crabs and there was one they stood out its really big and looks to have yellow and black stripes on its legs. I haven't added it to my tank yet because I'm not sure if it's reef friendly. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dearth
04-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Picture would help but it sounds like an electric hermit which if it is is considered reef safe

gobytron
04-13-2015, 11:54 PM
post a pic.

Its impossible for a LFS to be able to guarantee each and every hermit is identical.

Grant maj
04-13-2015, 11:55 PM
Ugh I tried but not sure how lol

Grant maj
04-13-2015, 11:56 PM
It was from like a house business I'll never do that agin brought me a hippo tang as well and it's covered in ich

hillegom
04-14-2015, 02:33 AM
It really doesn't matter whether you buy from a house business, or an LFS.
Ich could be on the gills only, where you won't see it and when the fish gets stressed, like when its transfered to another tank, then the fish's immunity is compromised and the ich spreads. Not only on the new fish, but possibly your fish. Your fish could have had ich and the stressed new one gets it.
Only way to, IMHO (others will disagree), eradicate ich is to QT, or TT method all fish.

Grant maj
04-14-2015, 03:20 AM
It's a a good thing I noticed when I was acclimating the hippo. I didn't get a chance to look or pick my fish because I met in a Home Depot parking lot. They are an he from my house. The hippo is covered prob more than 50 white spots on her. I'm not mad. I feel bad for the fish more than anything. It is now in my qt.

Myka
04-14-2015, 03:31 AM
Does it look like the Halloween Hermit pictured below? By your description, I don't think so, but let's rule it out. :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-89518-crab.jpg

Myka
04-14-2015, 03:33 AM
Or this Hawaiian Elegant Hermit?

http://biomar.free.fr/pagures/calcinus_elegans_hawaii.jpg

Grant maj
04-14-2015, 05:32 AM
No the stripes go up and down. It's ok I talked to the seller they said they remember the crab and its reef safe that all their cleaning crews r reef safe. Thanks for caring. I gotta figure out how to post pics. Another thing I have t5's Ho. How are leds compared to them. I have a 90gal with fish anemone and a few corals.
Thanks alot

Myka
04-14-2015, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't put a strange hermit in my tank. Even at best, all hermits are only reef-safe-ish with Scarlet Hermits being the lesser of the evils. :lol: I keep Scarlets in my tank, they are great. I'd be annoyed if I got a non-Scarlet on my Scarlet order since Scarlets demand premium pricing comparatively.

How about Yellow Stripe Hermit aka Thin Stripe Hermit? I've seen these guys around occasionally.
http://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/images/ThinStripeCrab.jpg

Grant maj
04-14-2015, 02:59 PM
Yes his legs look like your pics.

Grant maj
04-14-2015, 03:36 PM
But the one I have has a different shell

davej
04-14-2015, 03:48 PM
But the one I have has a different shell

Shell is irrelevant, it steals it from a snail, or picks it up after a snail dies.

hillegom
04-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Shell is irrelevant, it steals it from a snail, or picks it up after a snail dies.

+1
When it steals the new shell from a snail, it kills the snail.
So scatter various sizes of empty shells around your tank. If you have snails as well.

Grant maj
04-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Yes I have snails. Should I just have one or the other. Or is both fine. Snails and crabs

gobytron
04-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Yes I have snails. Should I just have one or the other. Or is both fine. Snails and crabs

your hermits will eat your snails.

For food or to steal their shell.

This is very common.

That being said. most reefers still like to have both as part of their clean up crew.

Dearth
04-14-2015, 11:32 PM
your hermits will eat your snails.

For food or to steal their shell.

This is very common.

That being said. most reefers still like to have both as part of their clean up crew.

I tend to over feed so there is usually enough detritus and leftover food for the crabs to keep them well fed leaving my snails alone

However with that being said I still lose snails because the hermits want the shell I find it funny that with all the shells in my tank the hermits still want a live snails shell over an empty one

Myka
04-15-2015, 12:33 AM
Like I said, Scarlet Hermits are the lesser of the evils. I have 15 of them in my 50-gallon tank along with a few Astraea, Mexican Turbos, Ring Cowrie, and even a few Cerith. The Scarlets don't touch them. There was one Blue Leg Hermit in there and he killed off most of the Cerith before he got banished. Generally, the bigger snails are resistant to hermit predation.

Grant maj
04-15-2015, 01:31 AM
Like I said, Scarlet Hermits are the lesser of the evils. I have 15 of them in my 50-gallon tank along with a few Astraea, Mexican Turbos, Ring Cowrie, and even a few Cerith. The Scarlets don't touch them. There was one Blue Leg Hermit in there and he killed off most of the Cerith before he got banished. Generally, the bigger snails are resistant to hermit predation.

How many are required? I have a 90gallon. And I was reading on jlaquatics site and they recommend 70 crabs and 60 snails? Is this correct?

Myka
04-15-2015, 02:13 AM
How many are required? I have a 90gallon. And I was reading on jlaquatics site and they recommend 70 crabs and 60 snails? Is this correct?

No, their numbers are ridiculous. For your tank I would recommend something like this:

12 Scarlet Hermits
6 Mexican Turbos
6 Trochus (different species of Turbo)
10 Astraea (get some spiny and some pyramid if you can)
12 Cerith (these are the most likely to get eaten by hermits, but they are one of the only true detrivores)
6 Ring Cowries
1 Black Brittle Starfish
4 Fighting Conch or 2 Orange Lip or 2 Strawberry Conch (if you have sand)

Buy half now, and the other half in a couple months. The variety covers all the reef needs.

Grant maj
04-15-2015, 03:06 AM
No, their numbers are ridiculous. For your tank I would recommend something like this:

12 Scarlet Hermits
6 Mexican Turbos
6 Trochus (different species of Turbo)
10 Astraea (get some spiny and some pyramid if you can)
12 Cerith (these are the most likely to get eaten by hermits, but they are one of the only true detrivores)
6 Ring Cowries
1 Black Brittle Starfish
4 Fighting Conch or 2 Orange Lip or 2 Strawberry Conch (if you have sand)

Buy half now, and the other half in a couple months. The variety covers all the reef needs.
Well I have the scarlettes, Mexican turbos, astrea,(pyramid) and margarita. I also have a anemone and a few corals.

Myka
04-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Well I have the scarlettes, Mexican turbos, astrea,(pyramid) and margarita. I also have a anemone and a few corals.

Do you have algae still?

gobytron
04-15-2015, 10:24 PM
I would also say that left handed hermits, or zebra hermits are about as safe as they come.

They also stay very small.

Grant maj
04-15-2015, 11:28 PM
Do you have algae still?

Oh no they went right to town on the algae both the snails and crabs

Myka
04-16-2015, 01:59 AM
Oh no they went right to town on the algae both the snails and crabs

So why are you wanting to order more CUC? Now I'm confused. :lol:

Grant maj
04-16-2015, 12:37 PM
I was just wondering about this crab the person sold me. I didn't want to order more. But now I might these 8 scarlettes are killer all my other crabs. These guys I was givin are huge not small like the normal red legs not sure if I want them I might take them out and bring to my lfs