PDA

View Full Version : Myka's 69 SPS Tank 2015

Pages : [1] 2

Myka
04-12-2015, 10:48 PM
I'll play! Mine is only in the concept stage (pun intended) - still working on the details. :D

36 x 24 x 21"

- False back wall made of black glass making display 36 x 21 x 21"
- Full weir overflow
- Black vinyl wrap around the overflow
- (2) 1" holes for Herbie drain
- (1) 1" hole for return (will use a 3/4" reducer bulkhead)
- Eurobraced with trim on the top edge only and black silicone
- All vertical edges on the front are beveled and polished

Might use low-iron glass, might not. Might leave out the trim. The tank will have a canopy "wrap" so the trim won't even be viewable, but it's nice for making a screen top. I might puts mounts for the screen on the edge of the eurobracing so the screen sits flush with the eurobracing which makes the trim a moot point. Not sure yet...

Don't blame Concept Aquariums for the newb 3D drawing - I did it myself. :lol:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Mindys69QuarterView.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Mindys69BackCorner.jpg

reefwithareefer
04-13-2015, 03:11 AM
What type of tank would you make it? Reef etc?

Myka
04-13-2015, 03:22 AM
What type of tank would you make it? Reef etc?

SPS dominant. :dance:

Myka
04-14-2015, 03:41 AM
Here's the plan for the sump... 24x20x16". Very large skimmer compartment for a very large skimmer... ;)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/69SumpFront.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/69SumpTop.jpg

Proteus
04-14-2015, 02:24 PM
What are you going to do for nutrients export?!

gobytron
04-14-2015, 03:27 PM
I would guess a very large skimmer?

Myka
04-15-2015, 03:25 AM
Here's the plan for the sump... 24x20x16". Very large skimmer compartment for a very large skimmer... ;)

What are you going to do for nutrients export?!

I would guess a very large skimmer?

What he ^ said. The total volume of the system without displacement is 105 gallons, the display area is 69 gallons without displacement. I have a SWC 180 Cone that I will use for now, but I specifically made the compartment big enough to fit something bigger and badder...depends what I can find available. :twised:

I have lots of goodies at my disposal should I need them, but a good skimmer and some elbow grease goes a long way. I might plumb up a manifold for reactors, but I will have limited area under the tank with the dosing equipment there, so I'll have to get creative.

Myka
04-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Here's sump V2.0 - the bubble trap needs to be wider (no point in that blank space), and I don't think the flow is real good in this version. I like sump V1.0 (above) better so far. I made a V1.1 too which I think is superior to both of these, but I'm still tweaking. I'm trying to cram the sump as small as possible so that I can have space for dosing equipment and pump controllers.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/69SumpV2.jpg

Dearth
04-16-2015, 03:35 PM
That will be an interesting build

Skimmer Juice
04-16-2015, 03:39 PM
hmmm like the sump layout , maybe I should incorporate a auto top off this time around for my tank . I usually stay away from gadgets and do everything manually .

kien
04-16-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm really liking your 69 Mindy! Hoping to see more of this 69 as it plays out.

gobytron
04-16-2015, 04:52 PM

:redface:

Myka
04-16-2015, 07:05 PM
That will be an interesting build

Thanks, I hope so!

hmmm like the sump layout , maybe I should incorporate a auto top off this time around for my tank . I usually stay away from gadgets and do everything manually .

ATO is the bomb, same with automated dosing. These two things are MUST HAVE gadgets as far as I'm concerned, and I'm a KISS method person.

There will be lots of action! :wink:

GoFish
04-17-2015, 01:28 AM
First of all love the dimensions and volume, giggity... Wondering about you weir gap though, gigggity. Have you decided what you wanna use for power heads? If they create a wave then I have a concern you won't have consistent surface skimming through the overflow. I tried a 3/8 gap once like that, giggggity and the wave maker caused the water to pulse and kind of vapour lock. You might wanna add some vertical slots, or a bunch of them, just a thought. Or make the gap wide enough, ummmmm :neutral:, so to avoid this but not too big for snails to get lost in the back?.
Also, does the eurobrace cover the back overflow section or would there be access? I see a detritus trap down there

Following along

Quagmire

Myka
04-17-2015, 02:33 AM
First of all love the dimensions and volume, giggity... Wondering about you weir gap though, gigggity. Have you decided what you wanna use for power heads?

Also, does the eurobrace cover the back overflow section or would there be access? I see a detritus trap down there.

Volume is a nice round number eh? :D

Tunze 6055s....no wave. You do raise a good point though...I'll keep it in mind.

The eurobrace does not cover the back area...it goes around the display part only. The standpipes will be removable for water changes...sump holds the full volume.

What's in the bag?? 14053

Wretch
04-17-2015, 03:56 AM
Volume is a nice round number eh? :D

Tunze 6055s....no wave. You do raise a good point though...I'll keep it in mind.

The eurobrace does not cover the back area...it goes around the display part only. The standpipes will be removable for water changes...sump holds the full volume.

What's in the bag?? 14053

Well that would be a bubble king.

Myka
04-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Well that would be a bubble king.

Sideways too. Haha, I can never get Tapatalk to do what I want. :lol:

Myka
04-18-2015, 03:41 AM
Here's sump version 3.0!!! Now we're playing with fire...

The two cylinders at the back represent the Herbie drains, and the two cylinders near the front represent reactors. The grey mesh looking stuff represents egg crate to hold a filter pad. There is enough space in the sump so that if the ATO gets stuck on the sump will hold that volume (4 gallons of RO/DI), and then if the power fails at the same time and the overflow chamber of the tank drains (it shouldn't anyway) it will hold that volume (9 gallons) as well with about 1 1/2 gallons to spare.

The overflow chamber holds 9 gallons, and I will design the plumbing so I can pull the Herbie emergency standpipe, the overflow will drain to the sump, and I can use the return pump (with a tee to a hose to a bucket) to pump that 9 gallons out for easy water changes. A little smaller than I'd like, but maybe I can figure something out to get a few more gallons down to the sump. The skimmer area is 15 x 12" and would probably hold something even bigger if it fits in there at an angle.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/69SumpV3.0.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/69SumpV3.0Top.jpg

Myka
04-18-2015, 04:05 AM
The only drawback I can see to this design (so far) is that I don't think I could fit my Reef Dynamics biopellet reactor into the sump anywhere (footprint is 10 x 4"). I don't think I will want to run biopellets, but it's a nice option. I could always just buy the external pump for the BP reactor, so the option isn't completely ruled out.

The other thing I'm weighing right now is if I want to move the bulkheads in the overflow. Maybe I want them all in the middle. You see Vancity?? You did make me think about the possibility of waves, but not so much for the weir, but the drains. I'm not going to have a "wavebox" type wave, but obviously in a high flow tank there will be random waves. Hmm...

Next up, decide what to do for the stand...and build it. Tank won't be here for a month at least I'm thinking - gotta wait for enough tanks to be on the order.

gregzz4
04-18-2015, 04:31 AM
I'm thinking about a new sump for myself and one of my ideas may help you out ... if you have the space.

I want the ability to perform a WC of larger volume, and the only way I can see myself doing it is to 'T' the drain lines to the return section and sock/pre-skimmer section.

I see having a pair of valves on the drains. One valve shuts off the flow to the socks/whatever, and the other valve would then open the flow to the return pump section.
Now, whenever I want to perform a WC, I close off the flow to the socks/etc and open the flow to the return chamber. Now I can utilize all of the volume contained in the sock/skimmer chamber for a WC. And all without turning off the return pump :wink:

I'm still working on it for my new sump, but thought I may as well throw it out there for you Mindy, and everyone else :biggrin:

Myka
04-18-2015, 04:40 AM
You're thinkin like I'm thinkin, but I think my version is better because I think yours is more complicated than it needs to be. :p Mine's simpler. All I gotta do is pull the emergency standpipe out and 9 gallons will flow into the sump. Tee off the return and the return pump pumps it out to a bucket.

I don't think you'll be able to empty the skimmer section would you? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something. That's a good thought though - to be able to pull the volume from the skimmer section. Actually, I could put a hole of some sort in the partition that separates the return chamber from the skimmer chamber, with some sort of blocking mechanism too, and then my return pump can pull the volume from there too.

Hmm...

gregzz4
04-18-2015, 04:47 AM
Well, this is why I posted my idea. To get you thinking ... :wink:

Mine will work for me as all I'll have to do is use a small pump to empty the big chamber and BAM big WC will happen. BUT my new sump will not be under my tank as I have a sump room and can pretty much build whatever I want.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for you as you started me off in this hobby and anything I can send your way is payback :mrgreen:

Myka
04-18-2015, 04:57 AM
I'm jealous you have a sump/fish room. Mine has to be free standing. :(

I have a 3/4" Uniseal kicking around. I can put a plug in it that's super easy to remove. Now with this mod (thanks greg...good thinkin!!) I can remove a little over 10 more gallons from the system, so I could do about a 19 gallon water change without sucking on any hoses (yeck).

The black circle represents the Uniseal.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/69SumpV3.0uniseal.jpg

gregzz4
04-18-2015, 05:06 AM
thanks greg...good thinkin!!
I'm jealous you have a sump/fish room

Well, helps to own a house. And have a wife who is very forgiving.
Anytime with the help :wink:

I'm likin' how your build is going :biggrin:

Myka
04-18-2015, 05:22 AM
Well, helps to own a house. And have a wife who is very forgiving.
Anytime with the help :wink:

I'm likin' how your build is going :biggrin:

We own our house, and I am the wife. :lol: We don't have a basement though, and the master bedroom closet is the only room adjacent to the livingroom. There's no way I'm cutting into the master bedroom walk-in closet (because I am the wife!). So the tank is actually placed on an exterior wall.

gregzz4
04-18-2015, 06:21 AM
Still, I got you thinkin' ...

"How can I perform a larger WC with the little sump I have ?" :wink:

Myka
04-20-2015, 02:01 AM
So I sent some fair bit of mula via EMT to some random dude on Kijiji. I'm hoping to receive an ATB 840 protein skimmer in return. :pray:

I'm interested to see how it compares to the Bubble King that's in the aforementioned Royal Exclusiv bag. I imagine the ATB will end up being my backup skimmer. If the pump ever dies on the Bubble King, I'm probably too cheap to replace it. :lol:

Myka
04-21-2015, 02:42 PM
So I sent some fair bit of mula via EMT to some random dude on Kijiji. I'm hoping to receive an ATB 840 protein skimmer in return. :pray:

Well, he gave me weight and dimensions for the FedEx shipping label, and I can see he printed it off this morning, so that's a good sign. :D

I'm going to order the glass for the sump today. I actually have never built one from scratch before - I always used a fish tank and put baffles and such in it, so I hope I don't screw up my measurements.

kien
04-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Eek! Well, it sounds like you already knew that you were rolling dice with the kijiji transaction so I will throw a few extra prayers into my prayer reactor for you!

Myka
04-23-2015, 01:36 PM
The tank order is going in to Concept Aquariums today! :whoo:

I shipped the ATB skimmer economy - I think it will show up today. It looks like I better get a move on with the stand and sump. I ran out of time on Wednesday and didn't end up getting the glass order in. Life is crazy until after May 1st, so I may not get a lot done in this time.

gobytron
04-23-2015, 03:31 PM

I'm interested to see how it compares to the Bubble King that's in the aforementioned Royal Exclusiv bag. I imagine the ATB will end up being my backup skimmer. If the pump ever dies on the Bubble King, I'm probably too cheap to replace it. :lol:

You are one brave lady...

Though they say fortune favors the brave.

duncangweller
04-23-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm definitely following this one. I sent an email to concept a couple of days ago for almost exactly the same tank.

Myka
04-23-2015, 07:57 PM
You are one brave lady...

Though they say fortune favors the brave.

I hope so! There is a box waiting at FedEx for me to pick up, so I'm excited to see if there is an ATB skimmer in it! :D

I'm definitely following this one. I sent an email to concept a couple of days ago for almost exactly the same tank.

Oh ya? Cool! Did you get your quote back yet? Did your order the black glass (rather than black acrylic) too? If so, be ready for sticker shock. The black glass option was more than the Starphire option. I almost pooed my pants, guffawed for a week, then I ordered it anyway. :lol: How does yours differ from mine?

Myka
04-25-2015, 01:39 AM
So I got a FedEx box from aforementioned "random Kijiji guy". There better not be a Dell in there! :p
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/IMG_2694.jpg

I opened the box, and found this inside:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/IMG_2695.jpg

It is an Austrian-made (not US version) ATB 840 Econo Small with Eheim 1260 pump. Compared to the skimmer inside the Royal Exclusiv bag, this ATB doesn't look very impressive - though I can see the design is smart. The very large bubble plate and smooth skimmer body all the way up to the top of the skimmer appears as though is should provide as non-turbulent flow as possible, so this is promising. This is the first ATB skimmer I've ever seen in person and I'm interested to see how it performs as some people claim it rivals the Royal Exclusiv skimmers.

The sump on my 50-gallon tank isn't big enough to accommodate the ATB, so it's having a vinegar bath right now. Maybe I'll haul it down to the shop and put it in one of the FO tanks and see what it does. :D

Aquattro
04-25-2015, 01:41 AM
it's having a vinegar bath right now.

You'd think the seller could have done that :)

Myka
04-25-2015, 01:46 AM
You'd think the seller could have done that :)

I knew someone would say that. :lol: I'm going to give any "new to me" submersible piece of equipment a vinegar bath because I'm paranoid of contaminants, so it's really no skin off my teeth.

Myka
05-04-2015, 12:53 AM
New toy for the 69...

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Doser.jpg

The ATB sure comes apart nicely for cleaning!
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/ATB%202.jpg

Here are a few critters that will be making the transfer into the 69...
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/May%203%202015%202.jpg

Myka
05-04-2015, 01:26 AM
I made a few modifications and decisions to the final design of the tank. The order is in now, so no going back!

- 3 side low-iron PPG Starphire glass
- trimless
- the 3 bulkheads are grouped in the center of the overflow now rather than the two ends, and decided to have the return drilled for 3/4".

So far, I'm still happy with my sump V3.1 design, but haven't had the time to figure out measurements for the glass. It looks like life has settled down a bit now (I hope!) so I plan to get this ordered up this week and work on the sump this weekend.

I am building new kitchen cabinets for the house this year. The lower kitchen cabinets will be low-gloss slate grey (uppers are gloss white), and I'm building the tank cabinet to match, and will add a drink ledge for beer made of rough sawn walnut to match the flooring. :D

gregzz4
05-04-2015, 01:39 AM
Toys are always kool :wink:

Scythanith
05-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Haahaa I thought you would have avoided GHL like the plague... Didn't get enough of it yet eh?!

This is a quote from Dave on RC. It made me laugh out loud when I read it.

"Scott, you are the only person I recall ever say anything positive about the Profilux or trying to program it. Glad you have it covered."

Glad the tank's in the works now!

Myka
05-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Hahaha!! The Stand Alone Doser is the bomb and super easy to program...but the Profilux and Mitras??? Ugh...!

Myka
05-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Thank you to everyone who has voted for this tank journal thread this month! It is much appreciated. Considering I haven't paid for this tank yet (and it's costing me more than my mortgage payment) it would be great to win! :eek: :doh:

duncangweller
05-05-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm just curious.... Do you think the thin profile of the overflow weir will be enough room for the return plumbing/elbows etc?

Myka
05-06-2015, 12:55 AM
So I made a minor modification to the design of the tank. It's now getting a one piece Starphire eurobrace all polished up. I decided I am going to have an open top.

I'm just curious.... Do you think the thin profile of the overflow weir will be enough room for the return plumbing/elbows etc?

Ya you bet. There won't be any elbows in there anyway. 3" wide is plenty of room for my hands.

Scythanith
05-06-2015, 12:15 PM
That will look sexy!

Myka
05-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Sooo...what's in that Royal Exclusiv bag anyway??

Bubble King Double Cone 180 with RD3 Speedy DC pump.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/BK%202.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/BK.jpg

Ryanerickson
05-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Nice skimmer 😄

Wretch
05-08-2015, 01:20 AM
The basic design of this skimmer seems like a lot of others. The big difference seems to be in the pumps they use. Is there really that much difference in performance and reliability? It does look nice though. :biggrin:

hillegom
05-08-2015, 03:43 AM
Pumps are expensive to replace

Myka
05-08-2015, 04:29 PM
The basic design of this skimmer seems like a lot of others. The big difference seems to be in the pumps they use. Is there really that much difference in performance and reliability? It does look nice though. :biggrin:

That's why I'm putting it up against the ATB. :D

Pumps are expensive to replace.

Yeah, they are about $670 plus taxes to replace. The Speedy seems to be quite reliable though, so that's good. I'm certainly not into replacing a $700+ pump. If that happens I'm pretty sure the ATB will move in for good. :lol:

Myka
05-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Here's some technical information about the skimmers:

ATB 840 Small (out of production)
Footprint with pump: 14 x 8"
Height: 21"
Body base diameter: 8″
Neck diameter: 3.75"
Pump: Eheim 1260
Water flow: 645 gph (without air), 264 gph (with air)
Max air draw: Up to 900 L/hr
Power consumption: 65 watts
Manufacturer tank rating: Up to 249 gallons

Bubble King Double Cone +RD3 Speedy
Footprint with pump: 14 x 11.5"
Height: 21"
Body base diameter: 8"
Neck diameter: 3.9"
Pump: Red Dragon 3 Speedy DC
Water flow: 1320 gph (without air), 793 gph (with air)
Max air draw: 1500 L/hr
Power consumption: 50 watts
Manufacturer tank rating: Up to 132 gallons

On paper, the Bubble King definitely leads the race. Especially with that whopping 1500 liters per hour air draw using only 50 watts of power. I like the small neck diameters on both skimmers - this was a significant factor for me since it's tricky to find a good skimmer for small water volume.

The skimmer bodies are VERY similar - the BK has a wine bottle shape and the ATB has a true cone shape. The bubble plate design is very similar - the wine bottle shape of the BK allows a slighter larger distance from the body wall to the top of the bubble plate component, where the ATB is slightly narrower at this point. They are the same height. The same base diameter. The BK shortens the body height in favor of a taller collection cup, thus the ATB has a taller body height. The standpipe on the BK is 1/4" larger than the standpipe on the ATB - likely to allow the significantly larger water volume to pass through. On the BK the outlet is positioned lower, where the ATB is slightly up the body wall - maybe there will be less microbubbles leaving the BK. The most significant difference is the pump - a $200 pump and a $700 pump.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/BK%205.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/BK%204.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/BK%203.jpg

Myka
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM
I will be fabricating a steel stand for the tank. I was going to do it today, but found the steel supply stores closed yesterday. :bad-word:

As per discussion here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113975), I will be building it out of 1" square tube with 0.15" wall thickness (provided this is a common size that I can find). I'll put some small 45 degree braces in most of the corners to help with any wobble.

The finishing of the stand will be 3/4" plywood panels that I will finish with an enamel acrylic white paint on the inside, and the outside will be finished with an oil-based high gloss spray in a dark gray to match our lower kitchen cabinets.

The plywood panels will be attached using magnets so they are easily removable for maintenance. Seeing as the sump area will be very limited for space, the removable panels will help with access - especially in the electrical area. There will be a divider to make a "dry side" to protect the electrical from the "wet side" of the sump.

coolhandgoose
05-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Wow you're going to do all the welding yourself? That's impressive. Pictures!

Myka
05-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Wow you're going to do all the welding yourself? That's impressive. Pictures!

I should have explained that a bit better...hubby has a welder. I can weld, but I haven't done it enough to be any good. I'll probably just do the grinding and painting of it. :D

albert_dao
05-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Why the BK over a Vertex Omega?

Myka
05-10-2015, 10:06 PM

I don't think the Omega has anything on the ATB, so the Omega never really interested me. I considered the Vertex Alpha, and even pursued that option for awhile, but I couldn't pass up the good deal on the BK that was purchased when the Canadian Dollar was still strong. :D

Besides, I wanted to start a journal on RC and no one will read it if you don't have a BK. :neutral: I'm joking (kind of...lol).

Scythanith
05-11-2015, 04:28 AM
I get zero microbubbles out of my BK. You should see similar results I hope.

Aquattro
05-11-2015, 04:59 AM
You have a BK? Cool, I'll follow this thread now!! ;)

Myka
05-11-2015, 02:25 PM
I get zero microbubbles out of my BK. You should see similar results I hope.

I hope so! :)

You have a BK? Cool, I'll follow this thread now!! ;)

Oh Brad, you're such a snob. :twised: I'm glad my build is up to snuff for you. What else should I buy? I should probably replace my old school grey GHL doser for a snazzy new white GHL doser because it would look better. :wink:

Fancy tank - check!
BK skimmer - check!
ATI lights - check!
GHL shizz - check!
Lots of GHL shizz - nope
Tidy white sump area - workin on it.
RD return pump - uh, no. Aw, I'm off the cool list now. :(

Aquattro
05-11-2015, 02:33 PM
I should probably replace my old school grey GHL doser for a snazzy new white GHL doser because it would look better. :wink:

Or, you could get a real doser and do away with GHL stuff entirely!! :)

Myka
05-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Or, you could get a real doser and do away with GHL stuff entirely!! :)

Yeah, I guess Vertex Libras are gaining popularity with the "in crowd". Plus, they are white.

Scythanith
05-11-2015, 03:08 PM
You need an Abyzz to be on the cool list ;)

But in all honesty, I doesn't matter if you spend $30K on your equipment. It's what's in the tank that will win votes :) That's when your tank will shine!

I hope so! :)

Oh Brad, you're such a snob. :twised: I'm glad my build is up to snuff for you. What else should I buy? I should probably replace my old school grey GHL doser for a snazzy new white GHL doser because it would look better. :wink:

Fancy tank - check!
BK skimmer - check!
ATI lights - check!
GHL shizz - check!
Lots of GHL shizz - nope
Tidy white sump area - workin on it.
RD return pump - uh, no. Aw, I'm off the cool list now. :(

Myka
05-11-2015, 03:13 PM
You need an Abyzz to be on the cool list ;)

But in all honesty, I doesn't matter if you spend $30K on your equipment. It's what's in the tank that will win votes :)

Ya, I kinda forgot about the Abyzz. My cheap Eheim will have to do. :lol:

I agree 100%. There is a small part of me that loves the under-equipped tank that blows your socks off. These last few posts have been 99% sarcasm (just in case you or someone else didn't realize that haha). When you have all the fancy equipment and your corals suck, you really have no excuse. :lol:

That's when your tank will shine!

I sure hope so, otherwise this is all for naught! :eek:

Aquattro
05-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Yes, all sarcasm on my part. I like a minimally equipped tank full of awesome SPS. I have a BK because it was 300 bucks. I have a Jebao doser en route. My carbon hangs in a mesh bag. In the end, I prefer to see a nice FTS with mature colonies, and don't care what's underneath the stand.

Myka
05-11-2015, 03:20 PM
In the end, I prefer to see a nice FTS with mature colonies, and don't care what's underneath the stand.

Pretty much. All about results. :D

Scythanith
05-11-2015, 05:16 PM
I think everyone knows it was sarcasm lol!

Aquattro
05-11-2015, 06:15 PM
I think everyone knows it was sarcasm lol!

Well, except the GHL part :P

gobytron
05-11-2015, 06:38 PM
hey...
I heard there was a bubble king on this thread over at RC and thought I would come and check it out...

reefwars
05-11-2015, 07:44 PM

Ha you couldnt pay me to buy an omega lol I love vertex products but hated this skimmer and I'm not the only one lol

I'm not a bk fan either fwiw :p

albert_dao
05-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Ha you couldnt pay me to buy an omega lol I love vertex products but hated this skimmer and I'm not the only one lol

I'm not a bk fan either fwiw :p

:/

To each their own. I have six of them and have sold 50 or so. No complaints other than the initial impeller issues when they were first released.

BK is great until you need a warranty. Trust me, as someone who sold them at ground zero, I gleefully wish ill upon Klaus for being a complete moron when it comes to business responsibility. No, I take that back, he's just a complete moron overall. Great craftsmanship and design, terrible everything else.

But yah, uhhh, ♥ build threads n stuff..

reefwars
05-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Yeah i've also sold 50 if not more and got complaints out the wazoo , ask Jen how many I had to warranty lol because of that I don't own 6 lol

I'd prob choose an omega over a bk (now adays) though as owning a bk can also be quite the headache like you said come warranty time :)

Aquattro
05-11-2015, 08:49 PM
owning a bk can also be quite the headache like you said come warranty time :)

Let's just admit it. There's no warranty :) My BK was cheap and runs on a cheap Laguna pump, so I'm happy, but wouldn't buy a new one ever. :razz:

albert_dao
05-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Yeah i've also sold 50 if not more and got complaints out the wazoo , ask Jen how many I had to warranty lol because of that I don't own 6 lol

I'd prob choose an omega over a bk (now adays) though as owning a bk can also be quite the headache like you said come warranty time :)

Ok, lol... As long as the last part is clear :P

Myka
05-14-2015, 12:50 AM
I ordered up the glass for the sump - I wish I had a wholesale account! That adds up fast. That will be ready Friday.

I'm going to pick up the steel tomorrow. It turns out they don't carry anything thicker than 0.125 in the 1" tube, so I'm going with that. Hopefully with the bracing it will hold together! It's cheap too - well, compared to the glass.

gregzz4
05-14-2015, 03:58 AM
1/8" wall will definitely be strong enough for your build
Are you welding it yourself ?

Myka
05-14-2015, 08:58 AM
1/8" wall will definitely be strong enough for your build
Are you welding it yourself ?
I'm going to give it a go later today (hopefully I manage to fall asleep again soon here lol). I'll be winging it with no instruction. All I know is hubby said to turn the welder to "high" for the thickness, leave a 1/16" gap for the welds, tack it all first, square it up, then weld. I know how to use an oxyacetylene cutting torch and I was shown how to use a MIG welder once about 6 years ago. I imagine there will be lots of pidgeon splatter to grind off. :lol:

Wish me luck! Hopefully I don't weld my skin too much.

gregzz4
05-14-2015, 01:21 PM
You're good to go.
Practice on scrap if you have any leftover. Keep the wire speed low and you'll get less splatter. Slow and steady :wink:

Myka
05-14-2015, 04:01 PM
You're good to go.
Practice on scrap if you have any leftover. Keep the wire speed low and you'll get less splatter. Slow and steady :wink:

Oh ya, I think he said there's a dial for wire feed speed. I will take your advice.

Myka
05-14-2015, 05:15 PM
I just talked to Dave, and they are starting to build the tank today. :D

I was hoping for a 2" eurobrace, but it has to be 3" wide to put through the polisher. Should be fine. Also, the back chamber needs to be 4" wide to accommodate the bulkheads so they aren't drilled too close to the edge. Sadly, my tank will no longer be a 69, it will be a 64. So sad.

Aquattro
05-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Need me to edit the title?

Myka
05-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Need me to edit the title?

Not yet, I'll get official measurements once it arrives. Maybe it's just more fun to leave it anyway. :p

Madreefer
05-14-2015, 10:50 PM
I just talked to Dave, and they are starting to build the tank today. :D

Really? Something's fishy here:biggrin:
How come you were chosen as one of the three in Concepts build of the month and you don't even have possession of this tank?:lol: and whatcaneyedo was left out. Shame on Dave:lol:

jorjef
05-15-2015, 01:10 AM
And an eerie hush fell over the crowd.......

Myka
05-15-2015, 01:35 AM
Really? Something's fishy here:biggrin:
How come you were chosen as one of the three in Concepts build of the month and you don't even have possession of this tank?:lol: and whatcaneyedo was left out. Shame on Dave:lol:

There were several nice tanks and great threads left out, that's the nature of the beast. In regards to my tank, lots of people start builds before they have the tank. In the end, I didn't win anyway... :cry:

And an eerie hush fell over the crowd.......

With me around? :eek: Uh, yeah I don't think so!

Myka
05-15-2015, 01:53 AM
I didn't make as much progress today as I had hoped. I spent half the day running around doing other stuff that I mostly didn't want to do! I did manage to go pick up the steel and the glass though and got a start on the sump. I have some sketchy looking silicone seams though, so I think I'll have some repairs to do tomorrow. I never claimed to be a tank builder. :o

The piece of Lexan I used as a table was warped so I had to put some planters in there to hold it down.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sump%20build.jpg

I got the baffles in and realized I have to drill the hole in the side wall of the baffle section for the uniseal. I don't have as much space there as I thought I would, though I kind of expected that because my 3D drawing was done without glass thickness.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sump%20build%203.jpg

I'll get it finished up tomorrow and water test it on Sunday. I should get a good start on the stand tomorrow too.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sump%20build%202.jpg

Madreefer
05-15-2015, 02:51 AM
Lookin great!! And I'm just razzing you, hence the smilies.

Myka
05-15-2015, 03:05 AM
Oh I know you're razzing. :D

Myka
05-16-2015, 01:32 AM
Well this morning I saw I had a couple really bad seams on one pane of the sump, so I cut, and pried, and cursed, and chipped a little and finally got the freaking thing off. I resiliconed it, and left it dry for today.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sump%20build%204.jpg

In the meantime, I got to work on the stand. Luckily for me, hubby has Fridays off work and he volunteered to weld it for me. I cut all the steel, and prepped it all.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build%203.jpg

Then hubby got to work. He did a great job, all lines up nicely.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build.jpg

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 02:21 AM
Tank looks great Mindy

Glad to hear he welded the stand for you
Hope you closed your eyes for that pic :surprise:

You could have done it, but it takes practice to weld stuff that thin without melting it, or getting cold lap (not bonded)

A question; only a top and legs on the stand ?

Myka
05-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Tank looks great Mindy

Glad to hear he welded the stand for you
Hope you closed your eyes for that pic :surprise:

You could have done it, but it takes practice to weld stuff that thin without melting it, or getting cold lap (not bonded)

He's not a welder, but he's done a ton of bodywork on his 1965 Ford F100. That sheet steel is THIN. His welder isn't anything fancy, it's old, but it does the trick. It just has high, low, and wire feed speed. Watching him do it, I think I would have had a tough time. I did some grinding though. :D

I focused the camera when he wasn't welding, looked away, then snapped it when I saw the weld flash. SMRT.

The sump looked a lot better on my first attempt, now I have a silicone mess. :neutral: I'll get it finished up tomorrow. I guess the water test will have to wait for Monday.

gregzz4
05-16-2015, 06:26 AM
I know how you feel about a silicone mess.
I just built a new salt mixing tank and forgot to tape off the inside :surprise:
Oh well, it's just for me ...

Madreefer
05-16-2015, 09:06 AM
He's not a welder, but he's done a ton of bodywork on his 1965 Ford F100

Cool. Any pics? There's a car pic thread on here that needs to be bumped

Myka
05-16-2015, 10:30 PM
I know how you feel about a silicone mess.
I just built a new salt mixing tank and forgot to tape off the inside :surprise:
Oh well, it's just for me ...

I'm usually pretty good with silicone, but when I end up having to move things it gets messy real quick. You should see the mess I created today!!! It will take me some time to clean it up tomorrow. :o

Cool. Any pics? There's a car pic thread on here that needs to be bumped

He has a 1966 and a 1965 Ford F100, and actually, my bad, it's the '66 that he's done all the body work to. I'll see if I can sneak some pics. The '66 has the engine pulled for the last year as he's been doing all the bodywork. Then he bought the '65 which is in much shape, and got all distracted. :lol:

Myka
05-17-2015, 01:29 AM
The stand is coming along. Hubby isn't the quickest, but he's doing a great job! He just has to install the bracing and then I can paint it - maybe tomorrow?

Sump has been completed. I just need to clean up my messy silicone job. Nothing a blade and some rubbing alcohol can't fix. Good thing for clear silicone. :o
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sump%20Build%205.jpg

Myka
05-19-2015, 03:32 PM
The sump holds water! I'm just waiting for trim for the sump (so I can partially cover it) which will arrive with the tank. I wish I left the divider between the RO chamber and the sump 1/2" lower than the sump sides to allow room for the trim. When I designed the sump I wasn't planning to put trim on it. I think this is the only detail that I overlooked.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sump%20build%207.jpg

Done welding and grinding!
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build%209.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build%208.jpg

(Almost) Finished product! It has 3 coats of paint on it, but I'm going to put another 3 coats on. I'm also going to fill the inside corners of the braces where the welder couldn't get in. I still need to install the tray for the filter pad and get the Uniseal figured out (my drill bit was a tad too big for the Uniseal so it is not a snug fit). Maybe I will use a bulkhead instead (which fits well).

I will install some plywood on the bottom of the stand to go between the stand and the floor to protect the floor. I will also install some plywood under the sump side of the stand (on the top of the stand framing) to help support the sump.

I'm also considering building an acrylic "tray" that the sump will sit in to catch any drips, leaks, or spills (I'm paranoid about damaging the new flooring). I might even build it tall enough to help protect the back of the stand area from salt spray from skimmer overflow as that area will be tough to clean - even with the removable panels. The sump will be easily removable for cleaning it as well as the inside the stand. The sump will slide out the left side of the stand.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build%207.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build%206.jpg

I'm not real excited about how the Red Dragon pump attaches to the skimmer body - the inlet to the pump is SO close to the outlet of the skimmer. Considering the basic sump runs from one direction to the other (mine has a circular flow), you would think they would design the skimmer to have the inlet of the pump as far from the outlet as possible. All they had to do was change the pinwheel cover so that the inlet goes into the left side of the pump instead of the right. I'm not sure why it is designed the way it is. It doesn't matter in my sump too much because the flow of the sump is less than the flow of the skimmer pump, so the skimmer will be sucking in already skimmed water no matter what.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build%205.jpg

coolhandgoose
05-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Nice looking stand, great work!

Myka
05-20-2015, 02:16 AM
Thanks! It's coming along, and lots more to do!

Wretch
05-20-2015, 05:20 AM
The stand is looking very nice. Great build so far.

Myka
05-25-2015, 04:09 PM
I didn't do too much with the project this last week/weekend. Needed to do yard work and had MIL 60th bday.

I did get the last few coats of paint on the stand and got the media rack silconed into the sump. I bought the plywood for the stand skinning and a new blade for the saw, so I'm all ready. :)

On the other hand, I have a vat of dirty rock that had half dried and sat in the shed for the winter. I bleached it a few weeks ago and refilled with RO water then kinda forgot about it. This morning I tested PO4 at 0.49 ppm (Hanna) and NO3 >100 ppm (maxed out Salifert kit). So I drained the water and refilled it with used saltwater from my 50-gallon. I might need to acid wash it...we'll see how it tests in a few days.

Myka
05-28-2015, 12:58 AM
Let there be light! (thanks to riceboy)

It's an ATI Sunpower 6x39w dimmable T5 fixture. I plan to mount a couple of Reefbrite blue LED strips on either side. Not sure if I'll be wanting the XHOs or the if the Techs will do the trick. Maybe XHOs on a dimmer? This way I can run some high PAR T5 bulbs and have the LEDs for the blue supplementation. I'll be running a combo of ATI Aquablue Special and Coral Plus.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/ATI%202.jpg

gregzz4
05-28-2015, 01:55 AM
Wow! Nice fixture

riceboy
05-28-2015, 03:43 AM
Wow that was quick. Good to see it made it there in one piece.

Let there be light! (thanks to riceboy)

It's an ATI Sunpower 6x39w dimmable T5 fixture. I plan to mount a couple of Reefbrite blue LED strips on either side. Not sure if I'll be wanting the XHOs or the if the Techs will do the trick. Maybe XHOs on a dimmer? This way I can run some high PAR T5 bulbs and have the LEDs for the blue supplementation. I'll be running a combo of ATI Aquablue Special and Coral Plus.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/ATI%202.jpg

Myka
05-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Wow that was quick. Good to see it made it there in one piece.

From Calgary to Saskatoon that freight would have moved by truck overnight and arrived at about 6:30 am. :) All the bulbs are even working, bonus!

riceboy
05-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Should all work. i shoved styrofoam all around it lol

Myka
05-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Well, I got to finishing the inside of the stand, and glued plywood to the steel. I used PL Premium and clamped it, but this morning when I released the clamps the glue came apart - still very wet. I looked at the label and it says to apply mechanical pressure for 24 hours. Holy crap. I didn't know it took that long to dry! :mmph: I'm going to go get some Sikaflex EBT. That will cure faster.

Cell pic:
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/30/dc32d4ab75cb6c0c4f5ca6c43347e991.jpg

Myka
06-01-2015, 02:16 AM
I got a couple coats of paint on it. I noticed the glue popped on the bottom, so I have to re-glue that.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build%2013.jpg

The dry side. I have a shelf that I'm going to install on this side too.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Stand%20build%2014.jpg

WarDog
06-01-2015, 02:30 AM
Starting to come together, I likey! :pop2:

gregzz4
06-01-2015, 03:27 AM
Lookin' fantastic Mindy !!

Myka
06-01-2015, 04:53 AM
Thanks guys! I'm not quite done the inside, but I wanted to get some paint on it so it can dry well before the tank gets here. I won't be working in it again until Thursday.

Myka
06-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Just to keep this thread going while I wait for the tank, here are a couple pics of where the old frag tank is sitting. I plan to position the new tank a little further to the right so that it is fully in the livingroom and is more in line with the recliner for excellent viewing. :D The new tank will have 3" taller viewing panes, and the stand is also 3 1/2" taller, so the entire system will stand 6 1/2" taller. It will fit the wall better.

I put some rock into the frag tank (it was all acrylic racks) to help mature the rock.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/June%204%202015%203.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/June%204%202015%202.jpg

Myka
06-06-2015, 11:40 PM
http://www.reef2reef.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Danger-Muriatic-Acid-Sign-S-7190.gif

So I decided to acid wash the old formerly live, then dried dead rock. The latest reading was still over 100 ppm nitrate and 0.5 ppm phosphate after two 100% water changes (no change noted). I made some strong acid! :eek: I managed not to burn myself though, so that's a bonus.

I donned goggles, beautiful yellow rubber gloves, and shorts, tank, and sandals (ha!). I bought two 900 mL bottles of muriatic acid and poured them into 1 1/2 gallons of tap water. I dipped the rocks one at a time, and overdid the first one in about 12 minutes - that's some powerful mix! The rest of the rocks got about a 5-8 minutes dip, tap water rinse, tap water plus baking soda rinse (1 1/2 containers baking soda and about 3 gallons of water), then back into the rock tub filled with RO. A couple hours later I test the RO at pH 7.8 so I guess the rinse was sufficient. I will test nitrate and phosphate in a few days and see if there was any progress.

Here's the first rock getting half dissolved (lol):
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/June%206%202015.jpg

Doug
06-07-2015, 12:00 AM
:thumb:

Braver than I

Myka
06-07-2015, 12:05 AM
:thumb:

Braver than I

It's not that bad Doug. I've acid washed rocks before in much lower dilution for a much longer time (hours rather than minutes), but I found that some rocks require more time, and others require less. So I decided to dip them one at a time. I didn't want to spend all day doing it, so I made the acid strong. I didn't realize it would be that strong! It took me less than an hour to do it all include setup and cleanup, and cost me $12 for the acid and 40 gallons of RO. Pretty straight forward as long as you're careful about splashing.

Myka
06-10-2015, 12:22 AM
My journal is 10 pages and no tank yet! Haha. This changes on Thursday! :happydance:

Myka
06-14-2015, 03:27 AM
Tank arrival! It's a thing of beauty! Dave's crew built an outstanding tank - they really did a great job. The tank even came in under the quoted price. There is a mistake though, a missing detail, which is why it was under quote. :lol: I talked with Dave about it, and he took responsibility for the mistake like a true businessman, he even offered to replace the tank. I said I didn't want to do that to him, I didn't get charged for the missing detail anyway. I doubt anyone would notice if I didn't mention it. Let's see if you guys can figure out what it is.

I'll get some better pictures when there is better light in the house. The reflection on the glass was killing me! Oh, and sorry about the ghetto light stand - I don't have the light hanger installed yet.

Here you can see the size difference with my 50-gallon beside it.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Tank%202.jpg

Eurobracing detail.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Tank%205.jpg

Vinyl covering on the overflow box and weir overflow detail.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Tank%203.jpg

Perdy bevel and polish on all edges.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Tank.jpg

intarsiabox
06-14-2015, 03:46 AM
No teeth on the overflow?

Scythanith
06-14-2015, 04:11 AM
I love the eurobrace! I think they are hella cool.

brotherd
06-14-2015, 05:21 AM
Regular glass, not starfire?

Skimmer Juice
06-14-2015, 05:33 AM
no return holes or wrong color silicone? Either way that 1 piece bracing + polished edges = sexy

sphelps
06-14-2015, 05:46 AM
Nice one piece euro! Should have got it done in starphire ;)

reefwars
06-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Not as thick as you wanted maybe?

Myka
06-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Nice one piece euro! Should have got it done in starphire ;)
Yes, this is the missing detail! The tank is 3-side Starphire and the eurobrace was supposed to be Starphire too, but it's just plain float. It's a beautiful green one-piece polished eurobrace. :(

Regardless, I'm still happy with the tank. It looks great - super sleek.

Myka
06-14-2015, 01:42 PM
no return holes or wrong color silicone? Either way that 1 piece bracing + polished edges = sexy
That's all how I wanted it. There is a 3/4" hole in the middle back of the eurobrace where the return pipe will slide through.
Regular glass, not starfire?
25% right. I think my dark pics threw you off.
No teeth on the overflow?
That's how it's supposed to be. Though I think I made the gap too big. :o
I love the eurobrace! I think they are hella cool.
Me too!
Not as thick as you wanted maybe?
Thickness is fine.

intarsiabox
06-14-2015, 05:04 PM
I started off with no teeth on my overflow because it's supposed to pull the water better. All was well for a few months until some of the smaller fish found out it was a water slide! I was pulling fish out of my overflow or sump every day. Beautiful looking tank BTW!

Myka
06-14-2015, 06:37 PM
I started off with no teeth on my overflow because it's supposed to pull the water better. All was well for a few months until some of the smaller fish found out it was a water slide! I was pulling fish out of my overflow or sump every day. Beautiful looking tank BTW!

Yeah. I'm pretty sure I will have this problem too. It is 1/2" gap and I think I should have done 5/16". That was my spec though, not Dave's. I think I will add a bit to the top part to make the gap smaller.

gregzz4
06-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Lovin the new tank Mindy

For your overflow ...
You could silicone some small glass strips inside the box - one set for spacers and slightly thicker than the acrylic you'll use, and a second set to hold a sheet of acrylic with teeth cut out of it. Then you just slide your acrylic up and out of the box for cleaning.

I realize you'll lose some of the weir effect, but it'll keep your critters where they belong.

gregzz4
06-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Or you could get inventive and design a mesh 'box' to cover 'some part' of the weir.

gregzz4
06-14-2015, 09:35 PM
New idea ...

Vertical strips of glass on the left and right ends of the weir say 1/4" thick. These keep the weir running 100% as they will space the acrylic 1/4" away from the back glass (inside the overflow).
Next is some strips @ 90 degrees to the first strips. These hold the ends of the tooth sheet.
And lastly is some vertical strips @ 90 degrees to the second strips. These hold the tooth sheet in place against the second set of strips.

I like this idea so much I'm going to incorporate it into my upcoming build.

gregzz4
06-14-2015, 09:47 PM
I'll try to post a drawing later today
Right now I have a brake job to do

brotherd
06-14-2015, 10:21 PM
My dream tank would have a weir. They look so stealth:)

Myka
06-15-2015, 01:07 AM
Greg, I like your ideas, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the weir design. I'm just going to silicone some 1/4" acrylic half-round rod to the top of the weir wall. This will raise the water level in the tank a sniff too.

My dream tank would have a weir. They look so stealth:)

I know, eh! :)

gregzz4
06-15-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm just going to silicone some 1/4" acrylic half-round rod to the top of the weir wall. This will raise the water level in the tank a sniff too.
Even better

Myka
06-15-2015, 02:47 PM
I got the sump finished up last night with the trim that Dave sent me. :D I'm putting another coat of paint on the inside of the stand this morning, and then that will all be done. I was too distracted with everything else last week that I didn't get my plumbing order into Bayside, so I'm just waiting for that. Unfortunately, I won't have very much spare time for the next two weeks, so it will be a challenge to get it running right away.

It turns out the 1/4" acrylic half-round rod isn't easy to find either. 1/2" not so bad. Of course! ;)

I have a friend with a 3D printer, and he's printing me up some custom fit rounded screen corners so I can make a screen lid for the tank that will sit inside the eurobrace and be flush with the top of it.

I also have to modify some light hanging arms I have so they will fit onto my stand.

Then after all that, and the tank is running then I have to get started on the panels to finish the outside of the stand!

Whew!

Myka
06-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Now that I actually have the tank the project has ground to a halt! :lol: I have some commitments last week and this week that have taken up all my free time. My plan is to get the tank running this Saturday. I was planning to get it going last Saturday, but I noticed there is a small gap between the tank and the stand (~1/16") in opposite corners, so I had to get some styrofoam to fix that. I can't lift the tank myself, and hubby wasn't home to help.

Myka
07-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Well, the tank is running. I have a leaky bulkhead that I might have to replace. Tightening it doesn't seem to get that last bit of seepage. I haven't installed the half-round to the weir to make the gap smaller yet, but so far no fish have gone over anyway. I might leave it, but the water level in the tank is 1 1/2" from the eurobracing which is way further than I was hoping for. No need for eurobracing if the water level is that low. :lol:

It's been a long time since I weighed rock before putting it into the tank, so this time I weighed it all piece by piece so I have an accurate number. Interestingly, I only used rock that was already in the 50-gallon tank, so I didn't have to add any of the rock that I acid washed. So I have about 100 lbs I can sell. Ha! All the rock that I used in the new tank is all branch rock, so it's super light - only 28 lbs in the tank!

I did all the plumbing using grey SCH80 pipe and fittings. I was short one bushing fitting for the return pump, so I did it in white (I have tons of white pipe and fittings). I have a new Eheim Compact 3000 return pump on the way right now anyway, so I'll redo the return plumbing when I install that pump. I am adding a tee into it with ball valves for my water changes anyway.

My original plan was to run the tank bare bottom. I was expecting the tank to show up with a clear bottom pane which I was going to paint white, but it showed up with black vinyl on it and then the tank was built onto particle board. So the tank has a black bottom. I'm not sure I'm keen on the black bottom, so I washed some sand to put in the tank, but now I'm kinda diggin' the black look (no reflection). So I'm going to hold off on the sand for now. I'll have to add a little tray of sand/rubble for my pistol shrimp though. Poor guy doesn't know what to do with himself. I'll get a little black acrylic box made for him - or maybe I'll just cut down one of those coral viewers. Or maybe I'll get Concept to build me a little polished tray. :D

I still have to get the light hanger installed, it's on some SWEET unpainted 2x4s right now. :lol: I have to get the screen lid installed too. I have a friend with a 3D printer and he's printing me up some custom-fit round corners to fit into the eurobracing. They even have a lip on them to hold the screen in place so it will fit flush to the surface of the eurobracing with no tabs to hold it in place.

There's a bunch of corals in the tank that still need to find a home. The only fluff I'm keeping are the rainbow brain, the Space Invader Pectina, a few select Zoas. Even most of the current SPS are going to find their way out of the tank (the birdnest, the tricolor, and the Pocci).

During the tank transfer I remove some fish too. I have left a breeding pair of beautiful Onyx Perculas, a big old Pajama Cardinal, and a Royal Gramma. I had a breeding pair of red Firefish too, but during the tank transfer one jumped out and I didn't notice in time to save it. :( I decided to re-home the remaining red Firefish and will replace them with Purple Firefish I think, maybe Helfrich's.

The dimensions of the display portion ended up being 36 x 20 x 21" so it is no longer 69 gallons, BUT if you include the back chamber, remove the glass displacement of the entire tank, then the actual tank volume is 69.7 gallons. So I'm still calling it 69-gallons. :D The sump has another roughly 14 gallons in it taking glass displacement into consideration, so the whole system has about 73 gallons of water, minus rock displacement, so pretty close to 70 gallons of actual water volume.

Myka
07-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Here's a crappy photo to show the size difference of the old 50-gallon and the new 69-gallon.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%202%202015.jpg

Here's the view from the recliner. :D
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%203%202015%206.jpg

A couple photos showing the little pipe stilts I made to hold the rock off the bottom for optimal water flow and to prevent detritus settling.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%203%202015%205.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%203%202015%204.jpg

A couple closer photos showing the rock - though it's hard to see very well with all those fluffy corals on the bottom.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%203%202015%203.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%203%202015%202.jpg

gregzz4
07-04-2015, 11:50 PM
👍

Doug
07-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Looks good Mindy. As you know I vote for no sand. :D. I like the way they are up on pedestals. Hopefully my plan of the large rocks on the small ends will be something like that

wreck
07-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Looks awesome!!!!

Myka
07-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys!
Looks good Mindy. As you know I vote for no sand. :D. I like the way they are up on pedestals. Hopefully my plan of the large rocks on the small ends will be something like that

Ya I don't want sand, but I'm just not sure about the black bottom. I was also planning on putting a Jawfish or two in and some Wrasses so I don't know - decisions!

The little stilts ended up working out really easily and now that I adjusted the powerheads there is no detritus settling under there at all. I'm going to have to experiment with what to do with the Zoas I'm keeping. They are on tiles now...maybe out stilts under them or maybe I'll peel them off and put them onto the rocks. Hmm...

Oh and I placed an order with Greg that's going to fill the tank and then some I think. :lol:

Doug
07-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys!

Ya I don't want sand, but I'm just not sure about the black bottom. I was also planning on putting a Jawfish or two in and some Wrasses so I don't know - decisions!

The little stilts ended up working out really easily and now that I adjusted the powerheads there is no detritus settling under there at all. I'm going to have to experiment with what to do with the Zoas I'm keeping. They are on tiles now...maybe out stilts under them or maybe I'll peel them off and put them onto the rocks. Hmm...

Oh and I placed an order with Greg that's going to fill the tank and then some I think. :lol:

Giving up wrasses is hard. Mine are going to a new home. I already had done up an order elsewhere when Greg started his. Would have loved to get in on his though.

Scythanith
07-06-2015, 05:01 AM
Your helfrich's will want sand as well :) I like the small stilts for the rockwork! Smart. I need to do an order from Greg, time to plump up the tank.

Myka
07-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Giving up wrasses is hard. Mine are going to a new home. I already had done up an order elsewhere when Greg started his. Would have loved to get in on his though.

Yeah, I had a Grey Head (like a Melanurus) and a Yellow Coris in my BB 90. They just slept at the base of the rocks.

Your helfrich's will want sand as well :) I like the small stilts for the rockwork! Smart. I need to do an order from Greg, time to plump up the tank.

Yeah, Firefish like sand too, but I think they could learn to deal with it. I'm still undecided yet. So far, the sand is still in the bucket. :D

mseepman
07-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Tank is looking good Myka!

Myka
07-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks Mark! Good to see you around here!

So, I randomly took a drive over to Purolator, and they randomly told me that there was a package there for me. :eek:

What is this...? (it's not fish)
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Jul%209%202015.jpg

WarDog
07-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Such a tease!

Doug
07-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I know. Pick me.......:lol:

Myka
07-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Such a tease!

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I know. Pick me.......:lol:

Hehe, someone went a little BOGO-crazy.

Myka
07-10-2015, 05:39 AM
I stopped by to post some pics, but Photobucket is down for maintenance. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

I tested the tank today...

Ca 410 ppm (Elos), 415 ppm (Salifert
Alk 137 ppm 7.7 dKH (Hanna), 7.8 (Salifert)
Mg 1320 ppm (Salifert)
NO3 undetectable (Salifert)
PO4 0.00 ppm (Hanna)
K ~400 ppm (Elos)
S.G. 1.026

I have over 800 mL kalkwasser per day spread over 24 doses. I mix it 3 tsp RowaKalk, 45 mL vinegar, fill to 1 gallon. If I don't start seeing some nutrients I'll start skipping out the vinegar. I don't have carbon in the tank right now, and I don't use GFO unless I'm having a PO4 issue (which is rare). I do dose Prodibio BiOptim and BioDigest (bacteria and carbon source) every 14 days as recommended - I love this product. I added the first dose the day I transferred the tank.

Fish are eating lots, but there's just the 4 of them right now.

Some fish I'm considering...

- Helfrichi Firefish pair
- Candy Basslet (he can pair with the Royal Gramma lol)
- Yellowtail Damsel pair (hey, I like them!)
- Some kind of Perchlet (Plectranthias sp)
- Yellow Coris Wrasse

lockrookie
07-10-2015, 05:54 AM
Feel your pain photo bucket foiled my fun tonight too

Myka
07-10-2015, 06:00 AM
Photobucket is up again. :)

The pics in the tank were taken maybe 20 minutes after introduction. I have them on a rack for observation, and then that rack will be outta there!

Dippy dip, and inspection. Nothing came off them. :)
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%209%202015%204.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%209%202015%203.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%209%202015%202.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%209%202015.jpg

Doug
07-10-2015, 02:44 PM
I stopped by to post some pics, but Photobucket is down for maintenance. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

I tested the tank today...

Ca 410 ppm (Elos), 415 ppm (Salifert
Alk 137 ppm 7.7 dKH (Hanna), 7.8 (Salifert)
Mg 1320 ppm (Salifert)
PO4 0.00 ppm (Hanna)
K ~400 ppm (Elos)
S.G. 1.026

I have over 800 mL kalkwasser per day spread over 24 doses. I mix it 3 tsp RowaKalk, 45 mL vinegar, fill to 1 gallon. If I don't start seeing some nutrients I'll start skipping out the vinegar. I don't have carbon in the tank right now, and I don't use GFO unless I'm having a PO4 issue (which is rare). I do dose Prodibio BiOptim and BioDigest (bacteria and carbon source) every 14 days as recommended - I love this product. I added the first dose the day I transferred the tank.

Fish are eating lots, but there's just the 4 of them right now.

Some fish I'm considering...

- Helfrichi Firefish pair
- Candy Basslet (he can pair with the Royal Gramma lol)
- Yellowtail Damsel pair (hey, I like them!)
- Some kind of Perchlet (Plectranthias sp)
- Yellow Coris Wrasse`

I love my Prodibio also. How come you add vinegar to your kalk? Do you add 3 tsp/day or just when needed. Maybe I should up mine.

Myka
07-10-2015, 03:27 PM
`

I love my Prodibio also. How come you add vinegar to your kalk? Do you add 3 tsp/day or just when needed. Maybe I should up mine.
The vinegar makes it so you can dissolve 3 tsp kalk per gallon rather than just 2 tsp. It's also a carbon source to lower N and P.

The 3 tsp goes into 1 gallon of RO/DI and that mixture is dosed at a rate of 800 mL per day so the 3 tsp goes into the tank in a little under 5 days. I have room to dose more - it's not affecting pH much at this rate.

Doug
07-10-2015, 05:15 PM
So you dose vinegar in addition to Prodibio. Are they not a similar purpose?

Thats a beautiful batch of frags.

Myka
07-10-2015, 06:21 PM
So you dose vinegar in addition to Prodibio. Are they not a similar purpose?

Thats a beautiful batch of frags.

IME, Prodibio has not affected N and P in any tank I've ever used it in even though that's what it's advertised for. I notice SPS color improvement when I use Prodibio BiOptim and BioDigest in tanks with SPS even though I don't see any difference in nutrients or other measurable parameters. I don't notice this difference in softies or LPS. I do think that it helps keep the good bacteria population up so there is less opportunity for bad bacteria in the tank, but that's just speculation.

The vinegar is a carbon source, but the main purpose I use it for is to increase the saturation of kalkwasser.

Yes, the frags are nice! Thanks to Coral Master Greg! :D

Doug
07-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Good info Mindy. Thanks. I use a Tunze kalk mixed, so assume vinegar can't just go in the make up water ?

Myka
07-10-2015, 07:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with using vinegar in top off water as a carbon source except it will vary a bit depending how much evaporation there is.

You can't use It in your reactor though.

Snappy
07-14-2015, 06:25 AM
Thanks Mindy, looking good :biggrin:

Myka
07-15-2015, 02:42 PM
L: Sunset Mille
R: Blue Polyp Nasuta
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%2014.jpg

L: A. lovelli
R: Strawberry Shortcake
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%2013.jpg

L: CM Fiji Cobalt
R: Albino Mille
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%2012.jpg

L: Extreme Insignis
R: CM Sun God Mille
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%2011.jpg

L: ORA Red Planet (showed up nice, but has bleached in my tank)
R: CM Green Dragon
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%2010.jpg

L: CM Golden Sunset Mille (really diggin this one)
R: CM Christmas Hyacinthus
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%209.jpg

L: DWI - Deep Water Insanity
R: CM Sexy Beast
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%208.jpg

L: Cherry Popper A. florida
R: For the Love of Ivy
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%207.jpg

Myka
07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
This is the aquacultured Mille that showed up with most of its zooxanthellae expelled a couple weeks ago. I don't see any green sheen anymore (yay). Looks like it will be blue, pink, purple.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%206.jpg

This is another aquacultured piece I picked up at the same time. The branched were a rich forest green with blue tips. It's bleaching a bit, so maybe I have it in too much light. It's about 1/3 up the tank. I'm not sure what species it is - some sort of deepwater.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%205.jpg

This is Montipora capitata that I've had for a couple years. I like it, so it's staying for now even though it's a Monti.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%204.jpg

This is some sort of tabling Acro that came in on consignment at the LFS. There were some big chunks, but I just wanted a small chunk so I don't get weird growth pattern changes. I'm hoping it has more color to it, but I haven't seen any changes yet and I've had it about a month.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%203.jpg

This is a weed that isn't going to be staying in the tank.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%202.jpg

This was a nice surprise - I picked it up as a skin flap frag that was totally browned out and I had no idea what it was. It it super sensitive to alkalinity swings, and there were a couple low alkalinity issues not long before the tank transfer. I almost lost it. The green is normally a really deep green with neon magenta corallites. Some sort of SSC. It's been my favourite for a long time, but it grows painfully slow It's 2 years old.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015.jpg

Reef Pilot
07-15-2015, 02:57 PM
This is a weed that isn't going to be staying in the tank.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2014%202015%202.jpg

Is that what you call a weed?... haha. Some nice looking frags there, though. Hope they do well for you.

Myka
07-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Is that what you call a weed?... haha. Some nice looking frags there, though. Hope they do well for you.
Pocci? Yes, very weed-like. Beautiful coral, but they spread like mushrooms. I wish they didn't do that.

Aquattro
07-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Pocci? Yes, very weed-like. Beautiful coral, but they spread like mushrooms. I wish they didn't do that.

I use it as a filler. All the little buds fill in areas that don't grow anything else :)

Myka
07-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Lol and more food for the MIs!

Aquattro
07-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Lol and more food for the MIs!

Nah, they don't touch it. Not expensive enough.

Myka
07-16-2015, 12:26 AM
Nah, they don't touch it. Not expensive enough.

Of course. :neutral:

Myka
07-17-2015, 04:55 AM
I added a Panamic Barnacle Blenny today and might get a few more. I added a sock to catch him in the sump. ;)

I also picked up a few assorted snails to beef up the CUC a bit.

I ordered some Flame Anthias too (Pseudanthias ignitus). I will get some brine shrimp on the boiler and order up some blackworms. I have a QT set up for them and will worm them after I get them eating before putting them in the display.

Myka
07-17-2015, 03:59 PM
More goodies from a friend's tank. He decided to remove most of his SPS in favor of LPS (crazy talk!). I took advantage of his weakness!

My pics suck - I'll turn down the blue T5s next time.

Garf Bonsai
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2015%202015%205.jpg

Hawkins Echinata
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2015%202015%204.jpg

Unidentified mariculture piece
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2015%202015%203.jpg

Setosa
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2015%202015%202.jpg

Maricultured "red dragon"
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/July%2017%202015.jpg

Myka
07-21-2015, 11:29 PM
So I figured the frags could handle being epoxied onto the rock now, so I went ahead and did that (until I ran out of epoxy) on Friday. I was away for the weekend, and I came back to the frags being mad. The skimmer was fine on Friday, but was going crazy when I got home Sunday. It still isn't back to normal. I only used 6 epoxy balls about the size of a small marble. Some of the frags didn't mind the manhandling, but a few of them were very stressed including the Green Dragon. The GD finally RTN'd last night, and the bottom half of the Christmas Hyacinthus also RTN'd. Hopefully it is done with that, and will recover, but I won't be surprised if it's all gone tomorrow. What's left of it has nice PE. :lol: What's a SPS tank with out a little RTN here and there? :mad:

Doug
07-22-2015, 12:45 AM
What's a SPS tank with out a little RTN here and there? :mad:

I hear ya

lastlight
07-22-2015, 01:12 AM
Oddly enough I get great PE after using my epoxy (vertex). Good luck taming your RTN.

Myka
07-22-2015, 01:42 AM
Oddly enough I get great PE after using my epoxy (vertex). Good luck taming your RTN.

I don't think I've used the Vertex stuff. It was old D-D epoxy I was using. The P-off is that it didn't even harden, and I ended up re-doing some pieces with some fresh TLF epoxy. I find neither the D-D nor the TLF are easy to work with - they don't stick well. I used to love the Boston Aqua Farms epoxy, but the LFS doesn't carry it anymore.

Reef Pilot
07-22-2015, 01:44 AM
Did you do it in the microwave first?

lastlight
07-22-2015, 01:47 AM
Glue-epoxy-glue ftw.

Myka
07-22-2015, 02:02 AM
Did you do it in the microwave first?

Yes I did.

Glue-epoxy-glue ftw.

I did that on a few that were particularly troublesome, but it didn't help. The glue wouldn't stick to the epoxy. :lol:

Reef Pilot
07-22-2015, 02:45 AM
Well, very sorry to hear your troubles. You had some nice frags there. Hope the rest survive OK.

Myka
07-22-2015, 02:56 AM
Well, very sorry to hear your troubles. You had some nice frags there. Hope the rest survive OK.

Thank you. It's frustrating for sure, but crying over a couple frags would be silly. I'll just keep things as stable as possible and hope for the best.

Scythanith
07-22-2015, 05:10 AM
I have a glowstick sarmentosa frag for you if you're interested :)

Myka
07-23-2015, 04:17 AM
I have a glowstick sarmentosa frag for you if you're interested :)

I'm interested in anything with the words "glow" and "stick" in the same sentence (but not the same word, I'm too old for that lol). PM sending!

Myka
07-23-2015, 07:10 PM
So the SWC skimmer has been a royal pain in the butt. It keeps losing the foam head, then overflowing. The venturi seems clean, but I think the whole thing just needs a good clean. So I pulled the SWC and stuffed the ATB in there instead. I say "stuffed" because it barely fits since the Eheim pump takes up as much footprint as the skimmer body. :lol: I chose the ATB because it's used, and I don't have enough vinegar to clean up the new BK good enough. The ATB was an easy fix. :D The tank has run mostly skimmerless for the last 5 or 6 days because of the inconsistent foam head on the SWC. The ATB is picking some gunk up, but not much. It doesn't help that the tank is so new and way too clean. I've been feeding the heck out of the fish, and they are happy for this.

Ca 410 ppm (Elos)
Alk 143 ppm 8.0 dKH (Hanna)
PO4 0.00 ppm (Hanna)

Still no nutrients. *sigh* I'm going to go feed the fish...brb

So I've pretty much decided I'm going to add sand to the tank. I'm itching to put a couple/few Jawfish in there. Plus the black bottom and black back make the tank look sooo dark. The LFS is waiting for Quality Marine to have stock of some Maldives Flame Anthias (P. ignitus) which I think will be a good fit for my tank size, but it's summer and QM doesn't have them in stock. I'll probably add a Yellow Coris Wrasse too, and one or two more Panamic Barnacle Blennies. I want to add a Perchlet, but I'm worried it might eat the Blennies.

The Panamic Blenny took a ride to the sump a couple days ago. He was happy to go back in the tank, and he reminded me that I have to silicone that rod onto the overflow lip. I'll get that done tonight.

gregzz4
07-24-2015, 03:28 AM
Lookin forward to seeing it in action :smile:

Myka
08-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Well, I finally got some nitrate in the tank! I took a 5-gallon pail from a client's tank and put it into my tank. :lol: The client's tank is 0.04 ppm PO4 and ~25 ppm NO3. Perfect dose of nitrate for my tank. Here's today's readings:

Cal 435 ppm (Salifert)
Alk 160 ppm 8.9 dKH (Hanna)
Mg 1320 ppm (Salifert)
NO3 0.5 ppm (Salifert)
PO4 0.00 ppm (Hanna 713)

I ordered a group of Maldives Flame Anthias (P. ignitus) from my LFS. This species is very similar to Dispar Anthias and similarly are difficult to get eating. I waited until Quality Marine had them in stock so that I could get the healthiest fish possible rather than getting my LFS to order the (cheaper) Anthias from an overseas supplier. They arrived on Wednesday evening, and picked them up straight out of the shipping box. There are 6 small females and 2 big males. I put them into a 40-gallon quarantine tank and got some brine shrimp eggs in the hatcher. I also ordered some live blackworms from Petland, but they won't be here until next week. Thursday morning I fed a mix of PE Mysis, R.O.E., and frozen Cyclopeeze. 5 of the females came out to eat, and pecked around, ate a few bits. Very good. :) The two males and one female stayed hiding behind the pot. Thursday afternoon they were fed again and they all came out and ate a few bits. I fed them twice more and most of them ate a few bits, but not as well as earlier in the day. They were all most interested in the Cyclopeeze, but ate a few Mysis. This morning the 5 females were out pecking and eating a bit, and the males and one female were interested, but no action. The Brine Shrimp eggs failed to hatch. So I mixed up a cube of Hikari Mysis, Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and R.O.E. All the fish except the one shy female were very excited about the Brine Shrimp, and quickly grabbed a piece, but promptly spat it out. They repeatedly did this. Grrr! I did see one female eat one Brine Shrimp. No interest in the R.O.E. nor the Mysis. The two males and one female remain very shy.

The smallest female has a mark on her back - I haven't been able to look close enough to tell what it is. She is one of the more active ones. It may be bruising or it may be aberrant markings which would be cool. There's a possibility that it's a sore, but at this point I don't think it is. That's where we're at now. :)

Here's most of the herd:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/IMG_0189.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/IMG_0180.jpg

gregzz4
08-15-2015, 01:21 AM
Nice looking fishies Mindy
Hope you have better luck with your herd than I did with mine - RIP all 7 Lyretails

Myka
08-15-2015, 01:25 AM
Nice looking fishies Mindy
Hope you have better luck with your herd than I did with mine - RIP all 7 Lyretails

I'm hoping so! Jeez, you must have had a bad batch - Lyretails are usually pretty easy as far as Anthias go. I would have loved to put Lyretails in my tank, but they get too big. The Flame Anthias only get abut 3 1/2" which is one of the main factors in my choice.

Myka
08-15-2015, 11:17 PM
New clam
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2015%202015%2010.jpg

Sarmentosa frag I got a couple weeks back. Browned out for now.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2015%202015%204.jpg

Dorky Blenny
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2015%202015.jpg

Skimmer Juice
08-16-2015, 01:36 AM
that clam is nice , really wish lfs around me would get some barnacle blenny's. Got a nice barnacle just need the fish , how many do you have ?

duncangweller
08-16-2015, 01:46 AM
I'm a big fan of those barnacle blennies after seeing them in seabreeze's tank. They are a lot of fun to watch

Myka
08-16-2015, 01:46 AM
that clam is nice , really wish lfs around me would get some barnacle blenny's. Got a nice barnacle just need the fish , how many do you have ?

I have two of the Blennies. I'd like to have a whole herd of them, but there's a lot more fish I want too, so I have to save some space!

I'm a big fan of those barnacle blennies after seeing them in seabreeze's tank. They are a lot of fun to watch

Ya, they are entertaining at feeding time! They are SO fast! They zip out, grab food, and zip back. They bounce off the rock, bonce off other fish. They are totally out of control. It's hilarious. I should video them. Their names are Flash and Streaker.

Myka
08-17-2015, 02:31 AM
It's been 4 weeks now, and I'm finally I'm starting to see some color coming back to the SPS after the epoxy spaz my tank had. It certainly took long enough. I'm sure it's helping now that there is a bit of nitrate in there too. It's been 8 1/2 weeks since the tank transfer.

The Flame Anthias are doing well so far. The one male remains very, very skittish. He doesn't eat much, but he is eating. The second male is also skittish, but he eats pretty well. The females are all pigs. Once I have them fattened up I will dose them with PraziPro. Since Praziquantel can cause temporary anorexia in fish, I want to make sure they are fat enough to make it through the treatment should they choose to be anorexic.

Myka
08-25-2015, 03:08 PM
So I was traveling yesterday and stopped by an LFS. I picked up a few frags; Lokani, Echinata, Desawlii, and unknown (possibly a second Desalwii, possibly a Tenuis). There was AEFW in the system, but didn't seem to be affecting any of the pieces I bought. So they came home with me. I clipped them off the plugs, dipped them in Bayer (5 mL per 250 mL tank water, rinse in tank water well). No AEFW came off, and I didn't see any eggs on the plugs. I chucked them in the QT with the Anthias.

So this is where things get complicated...

I dosed PraziPro to the QT with the Anthias last Tuesday (a week ago), and the treatment should be complete now. I check on the Anthias this morning, and they look rough. They have the "rough scales" appearance. One has some whitish edges on a couple spots on fins. Half of them look a bit Ich-y. So this isn't really the complicated part - except I just put SPS frags into the QT!!! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/mad2.gif

So I think I'm going to move the SPS frags into the display tank, and hope for the best. The tank is just frags right now, so if worst comes to worst, I can remove them for AEFW dips. Le sigh...

Myka
08-27-2015, 03:58 AM
Well the tank is settling in nicely. After the tank's absolute over-reaction to the epoxy, I'm starting to see colors coming back. Finally. Really though, the tank had a lot going against it. First, I did tank transfer. 9 days later I added a whack of SPS frags. A week or so later I epoxied everything and the system became extremely stressed because of this. At that point most of the frags in the system were 100% brown - like not a hint of color. So now that I'm beginning to see color again, I'm quite happy!

Also, FWIW, I took a video of the Blennies during feeding, bt it's not uploading properly. Once I figure that out I'll post it. The Anthias in the QT got their first dose of Cupramine today. Dang, I was hoping they could go in the tank soon! I did put the quarantined SPS frags into the display tank today (freaking out a bit) so I could medicate the Anthias.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2026%202015%203.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2026%202015%204.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2026%202015%205.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2026%202015%2011.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2026%202015%2014.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2026%202015%2017.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2026%202015.jpg

This tabling piece I bought just before the tank transfer (late June). It was entirely cream/beige when I bought it. Now I'm seeing what may be purple tips - eee!
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2026%202015%2016.jpg

Scythanith
08-27-2015, 04:12 AM
Glad the A. sarmentosa is doing good for you! Looks to be glowing already :) Is the green base with pink tips a pink lemonade?

Scythanith
08-27-2015, 04:13 AM
Glad the A. sarmentosa is doing good for you! Looks to be glowing already :) Is the frag with the green base with pink tips a pink lemonade? Sure looks like it could be!

gregzz4
08-27-2015, 04:32 AM
Oooo, pretty corals Mindy :mrgreen:

maron6977
08-27-2015, 04:48 AM
Looks like you have some nice stuff go'in on there !

Craigdillman
08-27-2015, 07:36 AM
Can I get some of the epoxy to nuke my tank with so my stuff colors up so nice after :-)

Myka
08-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Oooo, pretty corals Mindy :mrgreen:

Looks like you have some nice stuff go'in on there !

Can I get some of the epoxy to nuke my tank with so my stuff colors up so nice after :-)

Thanks guys! Yes, free epoxy for everyone!!! Although I did lose I think 4 frags in the disaster.

Glad the A. sarmentosa is doing good for you! Looks to be glowing already :) Is the frag with the green base with pink tips a pink lemonade? Sure looks like it could be!

Yeah, it's starting to glow! The green/pink one definitely could be a Pink Lemonade or something similar. It grows painfully slow. That's 2 years of growth you're seeing, but it started from a 1/2" brown little nub and was in my frag tank with many leathers for most of that time. An out of town lady brought it and a bunch of other pieces into Bayside when they shut their tank down. She had forgotten the names of all of them, so I bought it on a whim, and was quite happy when it started to color up and grow. :) I bought some something else from her too, but can't think of what it might have been.

Scythanith
08-28-2015, 01:16 AM
Mine has been a slow grower as well. It's been investing a lot of energy into spreading out it's base and has only recently started showing signs of upward growth. I think I am going to have to mess with my flow, it's to direct. The MP40's a causing some weird growth :)

Myka
08-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Mine has been a slow grower as well. It's been investing a lot of energy into spreading out it's base and has only recently started showing signs of upward growth. I think I am going to have to mess with my flow, it's to direct. The MP40's a causing some weird growth :)

Mine has never been too concerned about spreading the base. You have a lot of corals that are doing that. I think I have significantly higher flow than you do because I don't have (m)any LPS that I have to worry about blowing the flesh off of.

A couple new pics of the clam. I can't quite catch the blue in it - it's bluer than the photo, also the pattern is sharper. I just can't really get it right.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/IMGP0120.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2027%202015%206.jpg

Here are the two LPS that are allowed to stay in my tank. The Rainbow Trachy I've had for several years now - it bleaches at the drop of a hat. This time it has a good reason as it's had a hard time getting used to the new lights. The Space Invader Pectina is also a bit bleached, but not as bad.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2027%202015%205.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2027%202015%202.jpg

Scythanith
08-28-2015, 01:40 AM
Space invader looks great! Looks like it's been doing some wild drugs though haahaa. That's a great growth pattern! Mine is flatter, with folded lobes. You see less of the raised skeletal features. I wish mine did more of that. Easier to frag like that as well.

sphelps
08-28-2015, 01:49 AM
That Pectina is pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen. I don't know why people bother with SPS when stuff like that is available :mrgreen:

Myka
08-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Space invader looks great! Looks like it's been doing some wild drugs though haahaa. That's a great growth pattern! Mine is flatter, with folded lobes. You see less of the raised skeletal features. I wish mine did more of that. Easier to frag like that as well.

Mine's usually puffier. It's been mad since I fragged it (again). Yours grows faster though - I think you said you feed yours? I don't feed mine.

That Pectina is pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen. I don't know why people bother with SPS when stuff like that is available :mrgreen:

:lol: That's why it gets to stay in my SPS tank. ;)

Scythanith
08-28-2015, 02:25 AM
I feed mine pretty regularly. NE LPS pellets and PE mysis & brine shrimp.

Myka
08-28-2015, 02:37 AM
I feed mine pretty regularly. NE LPS pellets and PE mysis & brine shrimp.

Goes to show it works! :D I fed mine a few times when it was just a little frag, but not since.

Myka
09-01-2015, 01:40 AM
I rearranged the rock a bit to make it more appealing until the corals grow in. The frags on the sand on the right won't be there long. I found a nice shady spot for the Trachy, and it's very happy. The anemone was migrating, so I peeled it off, and banned it to an island. It took the dummy Clowns a full 24 hours to find it even though it was only moved 10". You can see them in the pics hovering around where the anemone was. :lol:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2030%202015%2034.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2030%202015%2030.jpg

I even found a shady spot for the Zoas.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2030%202015%2031.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2030%202015%2032.jpg

Here's the new Desalwii frag.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2030%202015.jpg

The unknown piece (which is probably a second Desalwii, oops)
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2030%202015%204.jpg

Echinata
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2030%202015%202.jpg

Lokani (didn't make it)
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Aug%2030%202015%203.jpg

Myka
09-06-2015, 12:18 AM
EDIT: Wow, just because I type at 72 wpm doesn't mean I should write a dang novel! Sorry guys! :o

Today it's cold and raining outside. I wanted to get the stand panels cut, but hubby doesn't want to move his old truck out in the rain to make room to do the woodworking. So I decided to tackle the right side rock structure that's been driving me nuts. I spent an hour messing with it and I'm still not content. I think the tallest point of it is too tall and that the right structure looks too much like the left structure. Ugh... :doh: While I was doing that I epoxied 5 frags/mini colonies to the rocks (Hawkins "Echinata", A desalwii, A sarmentosa, A lokani, A insignis) and now I don't think I'll sleep tonight as I worry about Epoxy Tank Brown Freak Out (herein referred to as ETBFO) Episode 2.

I bought a couple of 5' pieces of 1/2" aluminum tube and a tube bender to make a couple light brackets. I bent the first one and it went smooth. I bent the second one and it broke. So I drove halfway across the city to go get another length cut. I bent that one, and broke it too! :frusty: They are closed now until Tuesday, so no light hanger this weekend.

The tank is really starting to color up now, though a few pieces are still struggling. There is noticeable weekly growth too. I started taking photos of every piece on the 1st (or close to) of each month. So I will have some pretty cool growth sequence photos in a year. :D

I picked up a Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker, and my tank reads 0 ppb. :neutral: I've been feeding the fish 3x a day, and lots too. I added a Cleaner Shrimp to help clean up the mess I'm making. I've been allowing my filter pads to sit in the sump for 2 weeks without cleaning. I've been dosing a homemade Sodium nitrate solution to supplement NO3 and the tank has been going through about 0.25 ppm per week. Is the tank "using" the nitrate or is it "processing" the nitrate? I don't know.

The sand bed is driving me nuts. It is Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade, and it's so uniform that it looks fake to me. I have a small bag of Caribsea Super Reef sitting on the table beside the tank right now, and I'm humming and hawing about adding it. What to do? What do you guys think?

The other thing that's driving me nuts is the salt mix I'm using - H2Ocean. As the years roll by it seems the alkalinity slowly gets higher and higher. I tested today's new bucket:

Cal 415 ppm (Salifert)
Alk 9.6 dKH (Salifert)
Mg 1230 ppm (Salifert)

Unfortunately, only Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, and H2Ocean are available locally. We had Tropic Marin Pro Reef for one batch, but my LFS didn't bring it back in. I tried to convince him to order a pallet of Reefer's Best when it was on sale this summer, but I couldn't pre-sell enough to convince him. So I bought a bottle of Muriatic Acid, and I'm going to lower the H2Ocean's alkalinity. I like to do 50-75% water changes 3-4 times per year, and I can't do that with 9.6 dKH when my tank is 7.0 dKH and full of SPS. :twitch:

Cool new screen! I have a buddy that has a 3D printer and I got him to print me up some custom round screen frame corners to fit into my one-piece eurobrace. I notched a hole in the two back corners to accept the wires for the powerheads. The corners are sweet! These are V1.0, and he's working on improving the design a bit. If anyone else wants some made, send me a PM!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%205%202015%202.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%205%202015%203.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%205%202015%205.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%205%202015%204.jpg

Howie
09-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Nice job on the screen cover! Looks great!

Proteus
09-06-2015, 09:35 PM
How is the deswalli colouring up. I was eyeing them up at the lfs you got it from but thought I'd wait to see what yours does.

Myka
09-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Nice job on the screen cover! Looks great!

Thanks!

How is the deswalli colouring up. I was eyeing them up at the lfs you got it from but thought I'd wait to see what yours does.

The Desalwii completely browned out after a few Bayer dips, but is starting to show some color now. All I see is green tips right now - Desalwii shouldn't have green tips. I think it just needs some time to figure out what it's supposed to do. Crazy PE on it though.

On the brighter side, I got the panels for the stand cut, glued, and trimmed up. I just need to fill and sand, and then I can paint them next weekend. It was cold and wet all weekend here, and next weekend is supposed to be nicer - will be warm enough for painting. :) I'm attaching all the panels to the stand with magnets. Hubby wasn't keen on the walnut beer ledge, so for now it will just be gloss dark gray to match the kitchen cabinet bottoms.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%207%202015%202.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%207%202015.jpg

WarDog
09-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Pretty cool Minder, and looking good. What do you think you should do in regards to the substrate?

hillegom
09-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Nice work on the skin.
I admire people who can cut straight, something I can't do in wood.

Myka
09-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Pretty cool Minder, and looking good. What do you think you should do in regards to the substrate?

I have a part bag of Super Reef sitting beside the tank - I might add that. It's really chunky. For now I'm just observing and see if I get used to it.

Nice work on the skin.
I admire people who can cut straight, something I can't do in wood.

Haha! Two clamps, a 4' level, and a circular saw with a new blade. :)

hillegom
09-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Ahh
must b the new blade

And expertise

Myka
09-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Ahh
must b the new blade

And expertise

No Red Seal here (but enough work hours to challenge it haha)!

Myka
09-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Look who showed up to the party! I heard some clicking, but thought it was one of the Tunzes that needs a new bushing/disc (after about 8 or 9 years I think I can deal with changing a $3 part on it). I didn't normally hear the Tunze clicking unless it was on the controller and it wasn't on the controller. Since adding the sand to the tank I haven't seen any digging in it, so I was sure Mr Clicks was a goner. I looked in the back compartment, but didn't see him (or anything really it's so dark back there). So a couple days ago the clicking was driving me bonkers so I was staring at the Tunze and the "click" sounded and the Tunze didn't do it. So I turn off the return, get my flashlight out, and low and behold there is Mr Clicks! It took me a good 30 minutes to catch him out of the back, but he's now happily digging away in the tank. :D

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2013%202015.jpg

I got some work done on the stand panels. I got distracted doing some painting in the house, and decided I hated the grey color that the designer picked out. So it took me a few days and a few tries, and then I ended up going with the first grey anyway. :rolleyes:

I got 4 coats of paint rolled onto the panels. My work space wasn't big enough to get the corners done too, so that is annoying. The panels should be cured enough by the weekend that I can use a power sander to buff the paint out and then spray a clear coat on it for a nice smooth finish. Hubby said he doesn't want a beer ledge on the stand - he just wants it to have a clean look.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2014%202015.jpg

Myka
09-16-2015, 01:20 AM
I finally got a reading on the Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker! 6 ppb (0.006 ppm)! Yay. :lol:

Wheelman76
09-16-2015, 02:07 AM
I finally got a reading on the Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker! 6 ppb (0.006 ppm)! Yay. :lol:

That actually translates to 0.018

The conversion from phosphorus to phosphate for that ULR checker is

3.066 x 6 divided by 1000 = 0.018

Rice Reef
09-16-2015, 02:16 AM
That actually translates to 0.018

The conversion from phosphorus to phosphate for that ULR checker is

3.066 x 6 divided by 1000 = 0.018

Jess is right and faster than my splendid abacus

Myka
09-16-2015, 02:37 AM
Well that's what I thought too, but RHF recently said that the checkers actually both check phosphate, and that Hanna just calls the ULR "phosphorus" to make it easier to differentiate. I'm going to have to go find that comment from him...oh boy this might take awhile.

Myka
09-16-2015, 02:40 AM
Ok, actually that ended up being really simple...however, I didn't really continue reading beyond that part where he goes into the math of it. Thanks for the correction guys! It looks like I am right around the accuracy level of the checker, so I still just have a tiny "sniff", but at least I have something!

Both checkers check only the inorganic phosphate in the tank. Despite the name, the phosphorus checker does not actually detect phosphorus. The name, and the units it reads in, is just a marketing distinction.

The Hi736 Phosphorus checker does have a somewhat better accuracy, so that would be the one to pick for most reef applications.

You do need to multiply the reading by 0.0032 to get ppm phosphate. So 5 ppb = 0.016 ppm.

Note to that the values have a stated uncertainty of 5 ppb phosphorus (0.016 ppm phosphate), so 000 ppb could really be any value up to 0.016 ppm phosphate.

tlhood
09-16-2015, 06:14 PM

+1 - I have some mad envy going on right now.

Myka
09-25-2015, 05:31 PM
I had some fun taking macros this morning. :)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%206.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%207.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2013.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2010.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2016.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2025.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2029.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2032.jpg

Myka
09-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Here are a few that might be fun for you guys to try to identify! :D

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2023.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2031.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Sept%2025%202015%2049.jpg

WarDog
09-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Sick photos Myka! Some of the best I've ever seen!

Roskoreef
09-25-2015, 08:26 PM
+1 amazing macros...makes me want to go buy a real macro lens...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Scythanith
09-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Looking good :)

Space Invader
Ricordea?
Xenia?

Myka
09-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys! Scott, your first two guesses are right. Third one is not Xenia.

+1 amazing macros...makes me want to go buy a real macro lens...

It's a $200 point and shoot, then I cropped the photos. :)

Skimmer Juice
09-25-2015, 11:45 PM
3rd: green nepthea coral ?

Myka
09-26-2015, 12:31 AM
3rd: green nepthea coral ?

No.

Roskoreef
09-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Last one is a green Clove polyp?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Myka
09-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Last one is a green Clove polyp?

No.

Myka
09-27-2015, 08:55 PM
For all you guys interested in some Space Invaders Pectina...I made some frags. Stay tuned!!! :D

tlhood
09-28-2015, 07:09 PM
:eek:

GoFish
09-28-2015, 08:26 PM
3rd pic Kenya tree?

Myka
09-29-2015, 03:12 AM
Not a Kenya Tree.

FishyFishy!
09-29-2015, 03:54 AM
I like this game!

3rd pic gorg?

Myka
09-29-2015, 01:26 PM
I like this game!

3rd pic gorg?

So close! Be more specific. :)

FishyFishy!
09-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Diodogorgia Nodulifera?

Or

Corky finger

Myka
09-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Diodogorgia Nodulifera?

Or

Corky finger

Nope. It's a tricky pic because of the way it's growing.

Myka
11-06-2015, 02:29 AM
Trouble in paradise...

Sept 18th:
Cal 425 ppm (S)
Alk 7.9 dKH (H)
NO3 0.25 ppm (RS)
PO4 7 ppb, 0.21 ppm (H)

The rest of September I'm focusing on NO3 and PO4 trying to get nutrients up. I have been pouring food into the tank trying to raise nutrients with no effect. I've been adding 4 spoons Coral Frenzy + 5 mL Fauna Marin Ultra Organic one day then the next I add 3 mL Pohl's Xtra + 1/4 tsp Oyster Feast + 5 mL AcroPower. Plus I've been feeding the fish 2-3 times per day as much as they will forcefully eat.

I took all those macro shots on Sept 25th (on pg 14), and during that time I noticed the fans in the ATI fixture weren't working and the fixture was auto-dimming, so I lay a room fan on it to keep it cool. Two days later many of the corals were quite bleached and I realize that the fixture must have been auto-dimming a lot for quite some time (maybe day one??). I turn off all the whites and have been running only the two blues at 80% ever since.

I noticed some burned/receding tips at the end of September and figure it was because I burned the corals with the suddenly brighter lighting, but I want to double check alkalinity so I check parameters.

Sept 29:
Cal 420
Alk 7.5
NO3 1 ppm (from NaNO3 dosing)

Oct 5th the burned tips are getting worse, so I check again and alk is 9.75, I check twice with two different kits. I stop the kalk doser. I had started adding vinegar back into the kalk (which makes it more saturated) which must be the cause of the spike, but I started the vinegar Sept 21 and the burned tips showed up around Sept 25th and the alk spike wasn't until after the 29th testing.

So I'm scratching my head here. Was it the vinegar?? Works out to about 11 mL per day I was dosing into about 80 gallons volume. I was dosing kalk+vinegar from day one, and stopped the vinegar Aug 14th, then re-started Sept 21.

Oct 7th I check alk again and it's still at 9.75 despite removing the kalk doser, so the tank had completely stopped using alk. I also note that pH is 7.4 without the kalk dosing, and I couldn't raise it by providing outside air. At this point I have about 25% of the SPS affected with burned tips.

Over Oct 7-9th I add 15 mL muriatic acid to the sump over 3 doses. This has no further affect on the pH, but does bring alk back down to 7.8. Currently, kalk doser has been offline since Oct 5th, and I haven't dosed any alk in the whole month.

All the corals showing the burned tips around the end of Sept progressed into complete loss from the tips down. I pulled out about a dozen pieces. The STN has spread to more and more corals since - I have about 80% of the SPS affected by mid-October. My clam started gaping mid-October and perished 2 days later. I was worried that I may be looking at a total loss. My rainbow Trachy, anemone, and all softies were unaffected.

October 17th and 18th I did 17-gallon water changes, put a bag of carbon in, and promptly left the city for 10 days. :D I came back to one more piece gone, but the rest look on the mend. Today I did another 17-gallon water change. My favorite pieces made it, but I ended up with about 50% loss all because of the perfect storm. :twised:

gregzz4
11-06-2015, 02:57 AM
WTH ??
Maybe I missed it ... do you have any idea what caused this?

hillegom
11-06-2015, 03:20 AM
So sorry to hear 0f all the problems you are having. Hopefully its on the mend and won't slip backward.
I can't help you, sorry

Myka
11-06-2015, 04:06 AM
WTH ??
Maybe I missed it ... do you have any idea what caused this?

Yes. It's all outlined in the previous post. Te short of it is that I'm pretty sure the resuming of the vinegar started it, then I accidentally roasted the corals with the light, and then there was the alk spike. It was like a 1 2...then 3 punch. :lol:

gregzz4
11-06-2015, 04:47 AM
Thanks for summarizing it for us old folks :mrgreen:
Hope you get a grip on it

Goes to show that even a well-seasoned reefer can/will have problems - not just newbs. It's definitely making me re-visit my habits etc.
Thanks for posting Mindy

kien
11-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Yes. It's all outlined in the previous post. Te short of it is that I'm pretty sure the resuming of the vinegar started it, then I accidentally roasted the corals with the light, and then there was the alk spike. It was like a 1 2...then 3 punch. :lol:

ouch.. Yup, the classic, "A Series of Unfortunate Events" syndrome. That'll do it every time. :cry:

Madreefer
11-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Well that sucks. Hows bout just sticking to water changes and stop fiddeling? Not trying to be rude or harsh and sorry if it sounds that way. I've had most problems when I was tweaking this or that and adding different supplements etc. Strictly water changes for me for the last couple of years and been smooth ever since. Good luck

Myka
11-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Well that sucks. Hows bout just sticking to water changes and stop fiddeling? Not trying to be rude or harsh and sorry if it sounds that way. I've had most problems when I was tweaking this or that and adding different supplements etc. Strictly water changes for me for the last couple of years and been smooth ever since. Good luck

:lol: No, I don't take you as rude or harsh. I wasn't really fiddling though. I wasn't doing anything that I didn't do to previous tanks. I was only dosing kalk + vinegar, nitrate, and feeding lots. If the corals weren't starving to begin with then I don't think the reaction would have been so severe. They were running on hopes and dreams because the tank was unintentionally ULNS. Adding the vinegar back into the kalk was definitely a mistake - I didn't expect it to make that much difference since I had been using it previously and it really wasn't much vinegar per day. Ok I did learn from that, "Don't underestimate vinegar." That's what started the STN (4 days after adding the vinegar back in). The sudden increase in lighting was mainly because of my unfamiliarity with the dimming feature of the new fixture and I didn't recognize the symptoms of alk burn because the corals were already STN'ing. There was also some significant health issues in my immediate family too, so my own tank was on the back burner. That didn't help.

I have some inexpensive frags coming from Canada Corals next week to "test the waters", and we'll be back on track in no time. :)

Myka
11-07-2015, 07:21 PM
So, kind of a funny story...

...I asked the LFS to let me know the next time he's doing an order that has Ignitus (Flame) Anthias available and I can give that another go. So I'm on vacay last week and not paying attention much and he texts me, "Do you want some Flavo Anthias"? I'm like ya, sure. In my mind I was thinking he mis-typed "Flame", and it didn't even occur to me that the Red Saddled Anthias is Pseudanthias flavoguttatus. So I go in there a couple days ago and ask when are the Ignitus showing up? He tells me they aren't Ignitus, they are Flavo. I'm like, shiat. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/grlaugh.gif They are a deeper water species and they are coming from Philippines so I was a bit concerned for their health/acclimation, plus I'm also worried they might be a shy fish in a high light tank like mine. Plus, I just don't know much about this particular species.

I did some research, and it seems like they acclimate both to captivity and higher light better than a lot of other deep water Anthias. It probably helps that they really aren't super deep - Fish Base says 60-200 ft. They get a bit bigger than I was hoping - the males will get a tad over 4" and the females not a lot smaller. The Flame Anthias is more in the 3-3.5" range. However, the Red Saddled Anthias females are almost as colorful as males.

So I go in yesterday to check them out and only one arrived. :( However, and that's a big HOWEVER, there was a trio of Dwarf Pintail Fairy Wrasses! :eek: I only brought one home though - a female that's starting to transition. SO STOKED! I've been asking my LFS to get this fish for almost a year. :D

So I get the two fish home and put them in my QT with some other small fish that are in there. Let me tell you, this Anthias is beautiful!!! Both fish are eating today. I can't wait to get them in my display. :)

Not my pic:
https://cdn.reefs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/flavoguttatus3.jpg

From Reef Builders. http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/02/pintail-fairy-wrasses-parading-worlds-aquariums/
http://reefbuilders.com/files/2013/12/cirrhilabrus-cf-lanceolatus.jpg

F.H
11-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Both fish that are on my wish list, haha congrats. Flavo anthias is a stunner for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myka
11-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Goodies from Canada Corals.

This one I picked up for a buddy:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%2013%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%2013.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%2012%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%2012.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%2011%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%2011.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%2010%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%2010.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%209%20-%20Copy.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/69%20SPS/Nov%2019%202015%209.jpg