PDA

View Full Version : Water change pump

Craigdillman
04-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Hey guys

Im in the mist of trying to move toward less hands on water changes this is the first step i moved my RO until under the stairs and go 55g salt and 55g Ro bins it won't be plumbed in
I'm looking for a pump to pump water change water form under my stairs to my tank upstairs wondering what the most cost effective way of doing this is ( say maybe a pond pump or vertical water pump )
I'm not going to be plumbing it in as my mixing station isn't plumbed into the system just got 2 55g barrels1 RO and 1 Salt. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions the tank is say 10 feet up and 10 feet across from where the buckets are. the speed of the pump isn't an issue doesn't have to do it in record time

Also any suggestions as to measuring how much volume the water the pump pushes say ( inline flow meter? ) if i want to do a 30gallon wc i take out 30g from main but my reserve holds 55g would there be a way to measure how much volume the pump is replacing other than guessing if I've returned 30g or just use lines on the salt tank and run it till 30g is in

Thanks

Wondering what u guys do

gregzz4
04-12-2015, 06:27 PM
As for a pump you could use this Head Loss Calculator (http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator)

I personally wouldn't use a flow meter as I'd be concerned about it's accuracy - flood :surprise: You think you've pumped 30g but maybe it was 35 and you get wet feet when you go back upstairs.

I have a mark on my sump where the water level needs to be and pump it back to said mark.

You could have marks on your 55g and pump it from 'this line to that line'. Just one initial time use buckets to fill the 55g by hand, making marks as you go. Now you have your start and end points.

Or you run the pump's power cord upstairs and unplug it when you get your sump/DT level where you want it.

Craigdillman
04-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Ah ok thanks yea that makes sense

just wondering if i could get a pond pump as they seem bit more cheaper than a return pump

gregzz4
04-12-2015, 06:37 PM
I have no experience with pond pumps, but there are quite a few models to pick from in that link.

What size plumbing are you going to run upstairs ?

Craigdillman
04-12-2015, 06:42 PM
was thinking just 1" plastic flexible pipe or something to that nature

Craigdillman
04-12-2015, 06:43 PM
run it up there put it in sump run pump take it down coil it up till 2 weeks later

gregzz4
04-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Just for an example, based on the calculator;
A mag7 looks like it could handle it and may take about 12 mins to pump 30g
A mag9 may take about 5 mins

Buy a used pump cheap ?
Keep in mind the smaller the pump the shorter the lifespan.

Hopefully you'll get some other suggestions for a cheap pump that needs to run 10' through 1" vinyl hose

daplatapus
04-12-2015, 11:38 PM
I ran a Laguna pond pump and had great success with it. 14' of head was no issue. I still have it on my mixing station. The pump that never dies :)

Craigdillman
04-13-2015, 12:33 AM
Ok awesome I was looking at one of those actually

Thanks for help Guys

gregzz4
04-13-2015, 12:41 AM
I ran a Laguna pond pump and had great success with it. 14' of head was no issue. I still have it on my mixing station. The pump that never dies :)

What model ?

daplatapus
04-13-2015, 04:12 AM
It's the power jet 2800. I bought 4 years ago at least.

gregzz4
04-13-2015, 04:36 AM
It's the power jet 2800. I bought 4 years ago at least.
PJ 2900 is $300 Can't find a price on the 2800
Not sure it's what the OP is looking for :wink:
I'm looking for a pump to pump water change water form under my stairs to my tank upstairs wondering what the most cost effective way of doing this is ( say maybe a pond pump or vertical water pump )

I'm sure a used Mag9 or Mag12 would suit well for much less money