PDA

View Full Version : Flow

Wretch
04-10-2015, 12:21 AM
I am currently running 2 Jebao wp-10s and a hydor koralia 750 in my 54g corner tank. I have just started adding SPS to my tank, I have about 10 frags now. I am looking at trying to get rid of the Koralia as it is huge and right in the middle of my tank. I am was thinking about getting 2 Jebao rw-4s as they are supposed to put out more flow then the wp-10s but are the same size. Then I noticed the price for 2 rw-4s is basically the same as 2 rw-8. Question is if I put 2 rw-8 in a 54g and ran them on low setting would it be too much flow?

jason604
04-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Go with bigger Cuz u can always turn them down and still be able to use them if u later decide U want a larger tank.

WarDog
04-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Go with bigger Cuz u can always turn them down and still be able to use them if u later decide U want a larger tank.

+1

Aquattro
04-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Question is if I put 2 rw-8 in a 54g and ran them on low setting would it be too much flow?

Ya, possibly. I've done the buy big and turn down route, didn't work well. Regretted it and wished I'd bought the smaller ones. Without a controller, you can only turn them down so far, and that might not be enough. Buying the wrong thing because it's a "deal" isn't always the right choice.

Wretch
04-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Ya, possibly. I've done the buy big and turn down route, didn't work well. Regretted it and wished I'd bought the smaller ones. Without a controller, you can only turn them down so far, and that might not be enough. Buying the wrong thing because it's a "deal" isn't always the right choice.

This was why I was hoping to hear from rw-8 owners to know if the low setting was actually low. Not just a minor difference from max. I am running about 2750gh right now with 3 power heads.

Aquattro
04-10-2015, 05:05 PM
This was why I was hoping to hear from rw-8 owners to know if the low setting was actually low. Not just a minor difference from max. I am running about 2750gh right now with 3 power heads.

I think Wayne is running 2 in his 40(ish)g frag tank and turned down they're ok. Depends on the dimensions of the tank really.

Wretch
04-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I think Wayne is running 2 in his 40(ish)g frag tank and turned down they're ok. Depends on the dimensions of the tank really.

Well having a corner tank makes for strange dimensions. 22" deep 38" long at the points and 27" wide a the farthest point. :confused:

The Guy
04-10-2015, 08:33 PM
I'm running a RW8 at one end of my 90 g and a WP25 at the other end, works very well.
Your question on turn down on the RW8 I just tried it on low and it seems turn way down on low in W1 mode, one thing I like about these is a wider flow pattern.

Wretch
04-13-2015, 07:46 PM
I think I am going to try 1 rw-8 on the more open side of my tank. Then I will move my 2 wp-10s to the other side on either side of the tall rock formation. I will still have 3 powerheads but will only see 2 of them.

Reef Pilot
04-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Here's my take: More flow is better than not enough. And too much is just right. And remember, pump flow goes down between cleanings as they accumulate algae and calcium.

hondas3000
04-13-2015, 08:30 PM

I agree with you 100% on this as I am getting the biggest because the price is better for bigger one :). So it really depend you run on bare bottom or with sand bottom. If bare bottom the bigger is ok but with sand bottom then even the lowest setting can still cause a sand storm.