PDA

View Full Version : conch question

Eyford01
04-08-2015, 02:57 PM
I have a fighting conch in my 4' 90 gallon and am looking at ordering a snail pack (#1) from J&L that comes with a orange lip conch. I know fighting conch may fight with their own species but is an orange similar enough that it would have problems? Anyone out there keep multiples and if so how big of a tank do you need to keep more than one fighting conch?

Snail Custodian Package 1 $14.60
Conch - Orange Lip Strombus luhuanus
Snail - Astrea Astrea tecta 2
Snail - Bumble Bee Engina mendicaria
Snail - Cerith (Black) Cerithium sp.
Snail - Margarita (Atlantic) Tegula funerbralis 2
Snail - Nassarius Nassarius sp. 3
Snail - Nassarius (Tonga) Nassarius sp.
Snail - Trochus Trochus sp.
Snail - Turbo (Mexican) Turbo sp.

The Guy
04-08-2015, 03:10 PM
I've had a couple in my 90 together no real problems with fighting, as long as there's enough for them to eat they should be fine.

Myka
04-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Where do you see the Snail packs? I only see the packs that have hermits in them.

FWIW, I wouldn't put Margarita or Bumble Bee Snails in my tank. Margaritas are temperate and as such, they don't last long at tropical temperature. Bumble Bee Snails are not always 100% reef-safe.

I haven't had any trouble with Conchs fighting - Strawberry, Fighting, and Orange Lips. I don't think you would have any trouble with that pack.

Have you considered buying locally? I know most of the clean up crew here is actually cheaper than J&L (our LFS offers discount at 10 pcs), and if you shop local you can pick out active critters that have a better chance at survival.

gobytron
04-08-2015, 05:48 PM
I've looked at those packages from JL before...

I don't think I have ever been in there where they have all of one package in stock...

Seems like really, really good value though.

I have always found JL has some of the better pricing on CUC.

Though my lfs experience is relegated to BC and Alberta.

Eyford01
04-08-2015, 05:56 PM
they have a full listing of inverts in PDF format at http://www.jlaquatics.com/documents/invertebrate_list.pdf

they don't always have everything in stock at the same time but they said they could do that pack for me and trade out the margaritas for something else, I've already asked about that, LFS are alright but the one shop in Edmonton I found with conch only have the fighting conch for $15 each the same price as this entire pack plus J&L have some other things I just can't find locally even after asking to have stuff ordered in from a couple places

gobytron
04-08-2015, 05:58 PM
that makes sense.

I might go in for one of these packs myself then.

here is some good info on this conch
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+2174&pcatid=2174

Basically, you need to make sure there is plenty of sand and food.
They eat a tonne, so any but a very large and well established system probably couldn't support 2 for long...

have a read over, it might help in your decision.