PDA

View Full Version : Livestock on Plane (carry on)?

bulletsworld
09-23-2004, 09:59 PM
I had a friend ask me & wondered myself if anyone knows if you can bring livestock within Canada on a plane with you (carry on)? Another person told me they weren't sure but didn't think so because the water could potentially damage the interior of the plane?

Now I'm totally curious... Anyone ever tried or know for sure? :question:

Skimmerking
09-23-2004, 10:18 PM
I know you can bring live lobster on a plane.

I heard of people bringing fish on the plane too .i cant remember if it wa salt or fresh ..

mike

Griffin
09-23-2004, 10:23 PM
most live lobster comes shipped on ice only - at least that is the way i have always recieved it years back

If they have water it would probibly have to go in the belly of the plane - sealed container - ask the boys at OA how they recieve there shipments from the airport

cheers

Griffin

christyf5
09-23-2004, 10:24 PM
I've done this twice, brought stuff to calgary, brought stuff back. I was completely loaded down (thanks calgary reefers! :wink:) on the way back and none of the security dudes seemed to care. As for being on the plane, I just made sure it could go under the seat in front of me and didn't have any problems at all.

EmilyB is the queen of fish transports on planes. Maybe she'll chime in :biggrin:

Christy :)

EmilyB
09-23-2004, 10:46 PM
:lol: Never had a problem except with my back. :razz:

Make sure it fits under the seat. You would hate to spring a leak up in the top there....with all the wires..... :eek: Actually, make sure there is no possibility of a leak.....

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=65362&highlight=westjet#65362

bulletsworld
09-23-2004, 11:23 PM
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=65362&highlight=westjet#65362

Wow, good link to read on previous posts, thank you.

Hey Emily,
So you never had any problems bringing livestock as carry on? WestJet? Air Canada? To & from you travelled too? Also what kinda airtight container do you use?

great input guys, Thanks!

EmilyB
09-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Hey Emily,
So you never had any problems bringing livestock as carry on? WestJet? Air Canada? To & from you travelled too? Also what kinda airtight container do you use?

Both airlines (depending on which credit card is hilted.... :rolleyes: ), to/from, but they don't know what's in there (except for my story about keeping the bag upright, and also when Moo didn't quite fit under the seat, but they let her stay there when I told them she was a fish) unless they search the bags which has never happened to me.

Historically, I've just triple bagged and worried the hour plus home...

Yes, they get x-rayed. Someone thought this was a big deal, but I talked to some more experienced folk who called bs on that worry. I've had them run it thru twice and I think it's because there is nothing on the screen....hehehe nothing but water. Aren't they x-raying for metal ? :confused:

I did use Christy's insulated pack to bring Moo home tho. I will likely get something like that for this trip.

Anyway, that has been my experience over the last 3 or 4 times I've gone to Vancouver.

trilinearmipmap
09-24-2004, 03:47 AM
I bring them through the x-ray area in their plastic bag only and ask for a hand inspection.

Technically Air Canada says fish have to be in a hard-sided waterproof plastic container, I have never done this though, just in their bags.