PDA

View Full Version : How soon will I have Nitrite problems Jon?

Bob I
05-08-2002, 07:38 PM
The fish are now in their new home. I fed them some frozen brine today, but that was not appreciated too much. I also bought frozen bloodworms. They will probably be appreciated more. Should I pick up a Corydoras or two for the uneaten food? And how soon can I expect Nitrite problems? When it happens should I do big water changes until it settles down?

CHEAPREEF
05-08-2002, 09:28 PM
Most likely get a nitite spike in about 10-14 days. I always did a 30-40% water change after the spike to control the nitates.

Clinton

Canadian Man
05-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Hey Bob;
Yea they will accept Blood Worms just cut them up a little before feeding.
Should I pick up a Corydoras or two for the uneaten food? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">would not be a bad idea, the clown loach I have in my tank acomplishes the same thing.
Cheep Reef has the Timing about correct.
Don't forget Angels appreciate many water changes.
I would do 25% every 2 to 3 days for the first few weeks then move it to once a week.

cheers
Oh ps. The other morning I laid in bed for 30 min watching my angels doing their parental thing with their egg's. My absolute favourite FW fish!

StirCrazy
05-09-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Bob Ipema:
Should I pick up a Corydoras or two for the uneaten food? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">IMHO Corydoras are not a fish to get while a tank is still cycling, they are very sensitive to nitrates, nitrites and amonia, as for clown loaches that would be the equivalent of taking a queen angle and putting it in a 20 gal tank, they grow large, but they do grow slowly so you have time to move them to larger tanks later. I have found Kalua loaches to be a wonderfull bottom cleaner, the love to dig into the sand and get at all the food. I have a good book with info on different fresh water fish so if you want any info let me know the type and I will either scan the page or high lite the info for you.

Steve

Delphinus
05-09-2002, 02:35 AM
True, but I think with clown loaches you have several years before you have an issue with their potential size.

I've had a pair going on 5 years now and they aint exactly busting the seams apart of their 30g just yet... It is pretty cool to see the big ones though, we have a an LFS here that has a display with two or three trout sized clowns. (I think these are MY favourite FW fish.. or possibly loaches in general, at least.)

StirCrazy
05-09-2002, 12:06 PM
ya they are slow growers, thats why I said you have time to upgrade tanks later :D , but one thig about the clowns is that they to are calssafied as a "scalless" fish so any meds you use have to be at 1/2 strenght or lower "generaly" (there are alwas the exceptions) also they too are verry suceptable to bad water quality, high nitrates, ect. they are a fun fish to have, once they get over there shyness they are plyfull but it didn't impress me much the first couple times they played dead :D :D

Steve

Delphinus
05-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Heh, I still have to take a "second look" sometimes when I see them napping! Dang, that's hard to get used to. smile.gif

Bob I
05-09-2002, 06:30 PM
I too like the Clown Loaches, except they have a habit of hiding. I once bought some at pisces the size of a 10 cent piece (I said that because we do not have dimes in Canada. The US does) It grew fairly rapidly. They have some now that are fairly small. I think I will get a couple. I will have nothing else except the angels. I was going to say ANGLES, but could not decide if they were right angles or not. :D :D I will just have to do water changes while the tank cycles. It would be nice if someone had a dirty sponge for my Aquaclear 150.

Delphinus
05-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Hmmm. I suppose you could have the sponge out of my aquaclear. Um ... I'm not sure it's a 150 model though. I think it is, but I'd actually have to check to be sure. The sponge size is roughly 4" x 2" x 2".

If you're interested ... I'll trade you it for a fresh sponge... :D

Delphinus
05-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Ok, actually it is an aquaclear 300 not a 150. I imagine you could fit the sponge in your 150 though, how big is a 150? Maybe you can cut it or just put it in sideways or something like that ...

Anyways if you are interested in a "sponge swap," the offer stands. ... you know how to get ahold of me .... ;)

[ 10 May 2002, 13:00: Message edited by: delphinus ]

AJ_77
05-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Bob, I've got a 150 running with an older sponge.
We could work something out.
;)
Alan

Bob I
05-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Just to add fire to this size thing. I think Tony is right again (kudos my Guru) My book "aquarium fishes of the world" written by three Japanese guys, states the Clown Loach will attain 12 inches in the wild, but only 6 max (if that) in the home aquarium.
Bob :D