PDA

View Full Version : Weird issue.

sewerman45
04-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Every time I turn off my main pump from my sump to my display tank and turn it back on, tons of white stuff is blown into my tank. It is tons of white feathery things that kind of disappear when you try to grab them. It clears up after about twenty minutes or so.

Is it calcium build up in the pipe back up to the tank? It's about 6 or 7 feet of 1" pvc. It doesn't seem to have any negative affect but I'm worried that it's a symptom of something. I thought maybe my magnesium was low but it seems to be fine. I do 2 part dosing. This has been happening since day 1.

Thanks for any help.

reefwars
04-02-2015, 11:34 PM
most likely is a bacterial film , if it was calcium carbonate it wouldn't flake off so easily:) i get this from mine as well when restarting the returns:)

sewerman45
04-02-2015, 11:42 PM
most likely is a bacterial film , if it was calcium carbonate it wouldn't flake off so easily:) i get this from mine as well when restarting the returns:)

That makes a ton of sense. Any idea what causes it? Or if it's bad?

gobytron
04-02-2015, 11:47 PM
could also be tunicates/sponges that have formed in your line...

reefwars
04-03-2015, 12:01 AM
That makes a ton of sense. Any idea what causes it? Or if it's bad?

its a byproduct of the bacteria , shouldn't cause any harm after all it was always in the water anyways:)

the bacteria have to colonize somewhere , its often in the places we think last to look lol

in any case if the tank is healthy i woudn't worry much about it:)

asylumdown
04-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Do you dose any kind of liquid carbon? Those bacterial mums build up a lot faster and thicker in carbon dosed tanks.

sewerman45
04-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Do you dose any kind of liquid carbon? Those bacterial mums build up a lot faster and thicker in carbon dosed tanks.

That's interesting. I did dose vinegar and have recently switched to biopellets. I'll see if anything changes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Myka
04-05-2015, 09:20 PM
That's interesting. I did dose vinegar and have recently switched to biopellets. I'll see if anything changes.

Biopellets do the same thing. :)

sewerman45
04-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Biopellets do the same thing. :)

Ha. We'll I'll just get over it. I'll pretend my tank is a snow globe every time I turn my return back on.