PDA

View Full Version : Is there any product to help the cycle?

Bob I
05-11-2002, 12:51 PM
Is there any product that I can buy at my LFS that will help me get through the cycle? The tank is newly set up and the Angels are already in. Is there anything I can get beyond major water changes?

CHEAPREEF
05-11-2002, 01:16 PM
Yeah, you can get so "Bacter Vital" worked well for my FW setup. It just supplies the system with the bacteria to get it going. It's a better product than "Cycle", if you were closer i'd give you the last 1/2 bottle i have sitting in the fridge.

Clinton

StirCrazy
05-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Bob, if you can get it from Clinton free it is worth it but I have doen tanks wit them and with out them and no diference. the BEST way in my experence is get a bunch of plants (faster growing ones) about 4 or 5 bundles of giant hygro (about 1.99 for a bundle) they are very fast growers and can consume a lot of amonia/nitrite/nitrate I started up my angle tank 12 angles in a 25 tall tank with 4 bundles and I never saw a spike at all. I was testing twice a day as this was the first time I wwas puttng my theory to the test. if fact I never say any noticable levels of amonia or nitrite, and the highest my Nitrate ever got was 5ppm.

along with the plants using the amonia/nitrite/nitrate for food they also introduce the bacteria to your tank if they come from a established tank.

the other way to do it is by doing a fishless cycle but it is to late for that one.

basicly if you can't find the giant hygro's ask for fast growing low light plants. when you look at them if they have a stem like a tree and definat leaves then that is the type that will suck up the nasties :D as a rule stay away from red plants as they are generaly very high light types.

Steve

Steve