PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Magnet Scraper Thingy

Aquattro
04-02-2015, 01:07 AM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=tz-cm220015

Best tool ever. Glad Rich talked me into it. Hammerhead leaving tank now!

Wheelman76
04-02-2015, 01:44 AM
He talked me into it as well , great product!!

mikepclo
04-02-2015, 01:48 AM
Grabbed one yesterday! Lol

Aquattro
04-02-2015, 01:49 AM
Grabbed one yesterday! Lol

I notice they're back ordered now :)

mikepclo
04-02-2015, 01:50 AM
Suckers! :p

Madreefer
04-02-2015, 01:54 AM
Back ordered! Do you have a better pic Brad? It's hard to tell from J&Ls site.

gregzz4
04-02-2015, 01:56 AM
I'll be buying one soon, if I get enough frag sales :smile:

Aquattro
04-02-2015, 01:56 AM
This shows it better

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Care_Magnet_Algae_Cleaner_Floating_Algae_Mag nets-Tunze-TZ22001-FIMTAMCMFM-vi.html

Wretch
04-02-2015, 02:01 AM
I was going to buy one but I noticed they are on back order. Now I am trying to decide if I can get away with a nano version. I have a 54g corner and I think the glass is 3/8" but not sure.

Aquattro
04-02-2015, 02:49 AM
I was going to buy one but I noticed they are on back order. Now I am trying to decide if I can get away with a nano version. I have a 54g corner and I think the glass is 3/8" but not sure.

My tank is 3/8" and it's just right

gregzz4
04-02-2015, 02:55 AM
My tank is 3/8" and it's just right
And you bought the Long. He's considering a Nano :surprise:

Now I am trying to decide if I can get away with a nano version. I have a 54g corner and I think the glass is 3/8" but not sure.
I'd doubt your glass is anything less than that.
Sounds borderline to me on the Nano. I'd wait 'till they have stock on the Long

Aquattro
04-02-2015, 02:57 AM
And you bought the Long. He's considering a Nano :surprise:

Ya, that's what I meant. The long is just right. Nano would probably be too weak and not scrape as well.

Aquattro
04-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Maybe I should have sold my magnet BEFORE posting this??

RMC
04-02-2015, 03:08 AM

I purchased the nano version for my Red Sea 130 (34 gallon). I was not impressed, the plastic blade is very small, approx. 1.5 inches wide and the magnet wasn't strong enough. I would recommend holding out for the full size with metal blade option.

mark
04-02-2015, 03:23 AM
been looking for a scaper

Aquattro
04-02-2015, 03:34 AM
I would recommend holding out for the full size with metal blade option.

I'm using the plastic blades and find them to be enough. The kit comes with a spare set of plastic and a set of metal blades.

RMC
04-02-2015, 03:56 AM
A larger plastic blade on the full version could be adequate. The nano version doesn't include the metal blade option. The nano doesn't work well, I'm back to the mag float as a result.

Wretch
04-02-2015, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the updates on the nano. I guess I will wait till the long is back in stock or make a online purchase of one.

ronau
04-02-2015, 12:18 PM
I purchased the nano version for my Red Sea 130 (34 gallon). I was not impressed, the plastic blade is very small, approx. 1.5 inches wide and the magnet wasn't strong enough. I would recommend holding out for the full size with metal blade option.

Thank you for sharing this.

While the size doesn't bother me, the magnet strength is a deal breaker as I was planning to purchase a couple of them for my ADA tanks which are 8mm glass as well.

gregzz4
04-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Maybe I should have sold my magnet BEFORE posting this??
And it begins ... :smile:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113333

byee
04-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Greg,

Thanks for the free bump!

gregzz4
04-04-2015, 03:35 AM
Greg,

Thanks for the free bump!
I'm here to serve, even though I'm not on staff ...

daplatapus
04-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Anybody using a long on 1/2" glass yet? Wondering if I should bump up to the strong...

daplatapus
04-29-2015, 05:03 AM
Hmmm, no one?

Wheelman76
04-29-2015, 05:47 AM
I'm using the "long" on 1/2" glass . It holds pretty well but does come apart sometimes if you try and move it too quickly. Overall im pretty happy with it and the strong is a big jump in price.

Myka
04-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Best tool ever. Glad Rich talked me into it. Hammerhead leaving tank now!

I saw these recently and thought the plastic blades looked like a terrible idea. The Kent plastic blades SUCK (scraping coralline gouges the plastic). These Tunze ones are better?? I've always used the Easy Blade attachment with the stainless steel blades (imo best tool ever lol). You think this ones better??

Aquattro
04-29-2015, 03:31 PM
My first thought was the same. These come with a metal attachment, but I tried it without first and found that it works well. Will it scrape off thicker coralline? Probably not. But for daily cleaning of film algae and heavier algae, it works great. Even slight coralline build up comes off easily.

byee
04-29-2015, 03:47 PM
I had the Hammerhead with the easy blade attachment as well as the Tigershark. The Hammerhead worked great but I did not like cleaning the crude or the substrate which gets caught under the cleaning magnet pad.

I recently bought the Tunze Long and IMO works better than the Hammerhead with the easy blade attachment. The plastic blade does a great job removing the algae growth on the glass while the stainless steel blade removes the stubborn coraline growth from the glass. The easy blades were too thin with the corners often breaking off while cleaning coraline. The Tunze blades are definitely thicker.

Since the Tunze sits a few millimeters from the glass, so you no longer need to worry about getting substrate underneath the cleaning magnet. Once you're done, you just need to disassemble and rinse.

JL recently received a shipment of Tunze Longs a week ago and once again, they're SOLD OUT! This speaks volumes as to how well the Tunze cleaning magnet works.

Simply looking at the Canreef Buy & Sell forums I haven't seen the Tunze Long or Strong listed which could only mean people are definitely liking them.

Myka
05-01-2015, 02:32 PM
My first thought was the same. These come with a metal attachment, but I tried it without first and found that it works well. Will it scrape off thicker coralline? Probably not. But for daily cleaning of film algae and heavier algae, it works great. Even slight coralline build up comes off easily.

Ya, I suppose it's a nice option for "daily" use.

MKLKT
05-01-2015, 03:32 PM
J&L has them again, I picked a Long up for the RSM130d that I'm setting up.

Wretch
05-01-2015, 09:59 PM
My tunze long works great. I can get away with the plastic blades for the most part. I do have a couple spots I can't seem to get clean, I am thinking about trying the metal blade on.

The Guy
05-02-2015, 05:00 AM
Just ordered the nano version from Reef Supplies a couple of days ago, wish I had seen this thread first. I haven't got it yet. :doh:

gregzz4
05-02-2015, 05:54 AM
The video I saw of this thing in action made me not want to buy one.
I saw it jerking across the glass and it doesn't float ...
It jerks around and appears to be difficult to work with

I'm NOT going to buy one just yet

I'm perfectly happy with my Mag-float and it's scraper attachment

So, you can put me into the 'Not gonna buy' category.

Sorry for all your that bought one.

I don't see the value versus my Magfloat with it's scraper attachment

Aquattro
05-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Doesn't jerk at all, so far I haven't needed it to float (it's a magnet, it sticks through the glass). Works great, looks cool. Old credit card does the same thing though, so whatever floats your boat :)

gregzz4
05-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Well then, I guess I'll have to try out Rich's

Aquattro
05-02-2015, 06:07 AM
Well then, I guess I'll have to try out Rich's

You should. I figured it was just a toy, but I was actually impressed. I'm not impressed by much :)

byee
05-02-2015, 06:08 AM

Rich may not let you test drive his Tunze Long with you comment! ;-)

I bought the Tunze Long and if does work well with both the plastic and metal blades.

Once you've tried it, you'll definitely drive down the street to JL to buy one for yourself.

Aquattro
05-02-2015, 06:11 AM
Once you've tried it, you'll definitely drive down the street to JL to buy one for yourself.

Doubt it. They'll be sold out again -lol

Bblinks
05-02-2015, 06:18 AM
The video I saw of this thing in action made me not want to buy one.
I saw it jerking across the glass and it doesn't float ...
It jerks around and appears to be difficult to work with

I'm NOT going to buy one just yet

I'm perfectly happy with my Mag-float and it's scraper attachment

So, you can put me into the 'Not gonna buy' category.

I don't see the value versus my Magfloat with it's scraper attachment

Scratches my friend. If that's not value I don't know what is. Trust me and get one. You won't regret it but don't just listen to me, look at this thread. All these reefers can't be wrong. Stop whining and get one! :wink:

gregzz4
05-02-2015, 06:42 AM
Rich may not let you test drive his Tunze Long with you comment! ;-)

I bought the Tunze Long and if does work well with both the plastic and metal blades.

Rich is my friend so I can try any of his gear :twised:

Friends help friends

Duckhams
09-16-2015, 09:40 PM
We have them in stock if you guys are still looking for the Tunze scrapers!
We also offer low flat rate shipping over to BC! And FREE shipping over $149!

http://www.bigreefdepot.com/Algae-Scrapers-s/180.htm

Craigdillman
09-16-2015, 10:06 PM
These things are epic got mine few days ago and there is no way ill go back

Myka
09-17-2015, 12:07 AM
I don't like these scrapers. I prefer the Algae Free attachments on a cheap Mag Float.

The Guy
09-17-2015, 03:22 PM
I don't like these scrapers. I prefer the Algae Free attachments on a cheap Mag Float.
I too am not a big fan, I find the magnet weak, the only thing I use it for is cleaning along the sand line, I use a mag float cleaner for the main glass area. Tunzie make great pumps, ATO's etc. but glass cleaners well not so much IMO. :wink:

mike31154
09-17-2015, 03:42 PM
I buy good stuff, I buy cheap stuff. As a result of some (not all) cheap stuff purchases, I end up with spare, broken parts. Occasionally the strategy pays off & I come up with an idea that actually works pretty well. Here it is, my magfloat/broken scraper frankencleaner thingy. I have an unmodified mag float that I use most of the time, this thing is used every so often & works very well in the corners!

https://tsl4pa.blu.livefilestore.com/y3pQW-VuK6ToUTbyd6NoPGnCfBbBov5_V_6Mf8JmUhRgyQm2tPhikYtN ppwsylDgrS21UtXZTBgB5h98qmNgDgv2tJ_NnfYPZCgR-c_oUNy-mzT3I-U1f9r-3ngKelfk94F/P1060124e.JPG?psid=1

So, yeah, I think I can take a pass on the Tunze thingy for the time being.

Aquattro
09-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Still loving the Tunze!

RMC
09-17-2015, 10:59 PM
Had the nano version of the tunze for my Red Sea 130 (34 gal) and didn't like it. The magnet wasn't strong enough. It did an OK job of getting film off the glass, not much else. Other than working at the sand line, the mag float cleans with greater efficiency.

With my new tank, 5/8" glass, I decided to give the full size strong version a go. Tunze is not kidding when they claim 'strong'! This thing will crush a finger if it got inbtween the magnets. It cleans very well and doesn't pick up sand, enough bite to clean tough build up.

A little pricey, but it works!

GoFish
12-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Has anyone that has either the Long or Strong version that come with the metal blade kept the metal blade piece in the water for an extended period of time? Im assuming even though they're stainless they will rust over time just wondering how long they're good submerged for.

Bblinks
12-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Has anyone that has either the Long or Strong version that come with the metal blade kept the metal blade piece in the water for an extended period of time? Im assuming even though they're stainless they will rust over time just wondering how long they're good submerged for.

It been in there for 5 months now and no rust at all, I was thoroughly impressed as the other one I used on the magfloat will not last a week before it starts to rust.

GoFish
12-06-2015, 09:45 PM
It been in there for 5 months now and no rust at all, I was thoroughly impressed as the other one I used on the magfloat will not last a week before it starts to rust.

Good to know thanks :)
I was buying German made Stainless blades from a local store for $2+ each and they would rust or tarnish after 1 or 2 uses even with rising them in fresh water and leaving them in a bag of rice, or air drying them. I guess some German stainless is better than others

kien
12-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Mine has been in my tank for a good 5-6 months solid as well. I'm too lazy to take it out of the tank so I just keep it in there all the time. I just flipped my blade over last weekend. Now it's like a brand new scraper again !

Interesting that some people complain about the magnet not being strong enough. I wonder if that's just a problem with the smaller one ? I have the larger one and never thought that the magnet wasn't strong enough for my glass. I did have to do a couple of minor mods on mine though.

1. I lined the sides of my handle with rubber so that I could grip it easier. Pinching the sides of the plastic was annoying as my fingers often slipped. I probably have weak fingers. With rubber glued to the sides I don't have to grip with my fingers as hard. Having to do this is partly due to the strength of the magnet I thought.

2. I had to replace the felt on mine as they started to wear out. If you ever need to do this be careful to get the appropriate felt pad thickness. I first used standard felt pads I had laying around the house that I used for under chairs and furniture. These were way too thick as I noticed loss in strength due to the added thickness/separation between the two magnets. I eventually found much thinner gray felt pads at Superstore in their housewares section.

Still very happy with my scraper !

GoFish
12-07-2015, 03:11 AM
I think people just need to buy the appropriate size for the thickness of glass. I have the nano on 1/4" glass, it works great (but would be nice to have the stainless blade for Coraline algae). If you use the nano on 3/8" it's almost useless unless you're trying to clean film algae.
3/8" glass needs the long version and 1/2" glass or thicker needs the strong, I think...

Actually cleaning Coraline in general it's best to have a stainless blade, just tried with the plastic ends on 3/8" with the long and got similar results as the nano on 1/4" with Coraline.

Thanks for the felt idea Kien, I think they actually sell replacement pads but your option sounds much cheaper. And I don't have an issue with fingers slipping but I see what you're getting at. Do you use the long or strong?