PDA

View Full Version : Hurts on the inside

gobytron
03-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Setting up a 20 gal long nano reef with a cpr aquafuge.

All set up and wanted to get some Chaeto in there in order to bolster pod production and help with water filtering during the curing process.

I just went in and asked for it and was shocked when i got to the till and had to fork over 19.95 plus tax...for a baseball sized chunk of algae...lol

Man...that hurt...even for this hobby.

Next time, to the classifieds first.

Ryanerickson
03-31-2015, 05:45 PM
May be in the wrong hobby if 20 bucks hurts that much😳

gobytron
03-31-2015, 05:56 PM
Yes.

I am sure everyone in the hobby would be delighted to pay 20 bucks for a chunk of algae that grows easily and prolifically and can be had for 25% of that from any decent hobbyist.

something that actually MUST be trimmed and removed once it grows too much...

The issue MUST be me being in the wrong hobby. :mrgreen:

What a waste of a decade.

kamloops_reefer
03-31-2015, 06:13 PM
supply and demand - I suspect people generally just don't pay much because its something not necessary and wait until someone is giving it away for free.

I've decided that I'll just throw mine away instead of that - with any industry you have to maintain a certain level of supply / demand to set pricing.

look at the bright side - you can try to sell it after awhile yourself to recoup costs :)

gobytron
03-31-2015, 06:20 PM
supply and demand - I suspect people generally just don't pay much because its something not necessary and wait until someone is giving it away for free.

I've decided that I'll just throw mine away instead of that - with any industry you have to maintain a certain level of supply / demand to set pricing.

look at the bright side - you can try to sell it after awhile yourself to recoup costs :)

All good points.

Just one of those things where you don't really think of it till you get to the till and then you're just like "really??"...

It's an expensive hobby, but that doesn't mean we deserve to be gouged on the things where there is no justification for it.

That being said, I DID buy it...lol

duncangweller
03-31-2015, 06:20 PM
You can recoup that $20 pretty easily. And besides, if pods are the priority then $20 to achieve your goal isn't bad at all

gobytron
03-31-2015, 06:25 PM
agreed.

however, could have achieved the goal for 25% of the cost had I just planned better or been patient.

I think 5$ for a good sized chunk of it is pretty average from other reefers.

I don't blame the LFS, for the record, pretty sure the LFS in question generally has some of the better pricing around Canada.

and again, I did buy it so only myself to blame.

Was just pretty sure there were a lot of others who could relate.

rsisvixen
03-31-2015, 08:38 PM
All good points.

It's an expensive hobby, but that doesn't mean we deserve to be gouged on the things where there is no justification for it.

I think that holds true for a lot of things in this hobby sadly, because this hobby is viewed as an expensive hobby most companies out there have no qualms about overpricing their stuff.

gobytron
03-31-2015, 08:43 PM
I think that holds true for a lot of things in this hobby sadly, because this hobby is viewed as an expensive hobby most companies out there have no qualms about overpricing their stuff.

too true.

And when the first response to any post along these lines is generally some kind of "you are in the wrong hobby" type of comment, it's easy to see why.

canadianbudz604
03-31-2015, 10:55 PM
I give it away for free, coulda just came and got some

gobytron
03-31-2015, 11:03 PM
I give it away for free, coulda just came and got some

Lol...
THAT is why it hurts...

Dive_dry
03-31-2015, 11:07 PM
ya i throw $100 a month down the drain just in water changes let alone all the other consumables

canadianbudz604
04-01-2015, 12:25 AM
Sorry goby, guess u can't take it back huh. :p