PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor Replacing Two Part?

straightrazorguy
03-31-2015, 05:09 PM
So, I've been dosing two-part solution since May last year when I set up my new 150 gallon cube. As I've acquired more and more SPS, I found I've had to increase the amount of two-part I dose considerably. I have acquired a calcium reactor with all the parts (CO2 bottle, solenoid, PH probe, etc) , bought myself a separate effluent chamber, so I am now set up to start running it.

The system I have now is dialed in and I can run it with minimal adjustments. I am contemplating switching, as I anticipate the Ca consumption will take off. I would like to hear some insights/advice from the people who run or have run Ca reactors.

A few details about my system:
- 150 Gallon mixed reef (SPS dominated)
- 35 gallon sump (approx half full)3
- Sicce 5.0 return pump with a couple of reactors tapped in via the manifold
- 45 gallon inline refugium, full of algae and critters, fed from the sump by an eheim pump
- 10 fish (2 tangs, a pair of clowns, a Harlequin tusk, a Copperband Butterfly and a bunch of wrasses)
- Mechanical fitration via 2 x 4 inch socks
- RLSS R6i skimmer with 4inch Avast Skimmate locker and swabbie
- Biopellet reactor
- ROWAphos reactor
- Kalk stirrer (only adding Kalk at night for PH control)
- CCl2 and Alk (Sodim bicarbonate) dosed during the day via BRS dosing pumps
- Ca 470, Alk 8.4, Mg 1300, Po4 <0.02 typically, Nitrates undetectable

My idea is to add the Calcium reactor on line and take the dosers offline over the next couple of months. Is this a good idea? If it is, then I need ideas how to go about it without shocking the system and losing corals?

Thanks in advance guys and gals...

Aquattro
03-31-2015, 05:23 PM
I would just shut off doser, put reactor online and tweak over a couple days. Nothing is going to get shocked.

input80
03-31-2015, 07:54 PM
I would just shut off doser, put reactor online and tweak over a couple days. Nothing is going to get shocked.

+1

daplatapus
03-31-2015, 09:47 PM
+2

straightrazorguy
04-01-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm surprised nobody chimed in on the merits of switching from Two Part to Calcium Reactor.

I'm also surprised nobody said anything about my biopellets in conjunction with the Calcium Reactor....

Aquattro
04-01-2015, 10:57 PM
I'm surprised nobody chimed in on the merits of switching from Two Part to Calcium Reactor.

I'm also surprised nobody said anything about my biopellets in conjunction with the Calcium Reactor....

You didn't really ask for the merits, just how best to do it. And if you like biopellets, run them. They have nothing to do with a Ca reactor.

Aquattro
04-02-2015, 12:12 AM
But anyway, the reactor is good, does the same as dosing with less work and math, IMO. Not sure it's going to be "better", just a different approach.

Myka
04-02-2015, 01:50 PM

:lol:

I prefer balling salts over a calcium reactor especially on high-demand tanks. Personally, I think you're downgrading. If I were you, I wouldn't be selling the dosing equipment yet. Everyone's tank is different, so you may not have any trouble, but keep an eye on pH once that calcium reactor is cranked up full tilt. Since biopellets can also drop pH, you may have a two-fold issue. We all know how wild reefs are suffering because of acidification. To counteract this, you may try running a kalkwasser drip too.

Feel better now? :p