PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing LED parts in Canada

FoxHound
03-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Hey folks,

New to these fourms, I'm in Ontario and starting to build some LED fixtures for my 55g tank.

I'm basically building the RapidLED 36 Ultra Premium, however I'm sourcing all my parts to do it, preferably from Canada. As I'm sure you all know, our dollar is taking a beating and ordering from RapidLED costs and arm and a leg after the monetary conversion for something that is a great price in USD.

I'm looking for Meanwell ELN-60-48D drivers.

If anyone knows where to get these in Canada that would be great.

Cheers

Ron99
03-31-2015, 12:26 AM
It's been a little while since I looked but when I built LEDs there were no Canadian sources :(

FoxHound
03-31-2015, 02:04 AM
It's been a little while since I looked but when I built LEDs there were no Canadian sources :(

I knew that was coming.....I was just really hoping......haha :biggrin:

Ahh well, bite the bullet I guess.

I will be posting my progress on the DIY thread once I get it started. Ive got everything but the drivers I want.

Howie
03-31-2015, 02:07 AM
I got some mean well power supplies from electro sonic. Fast shipping as well. They were cheaper then anywhere else I found in canada

Howie
03-31-2015, 02:21 AM
https://www.e-sonic.com/product-detail/mean-well/eln6048d.html?p=37809828

FoxHound
03-31-2015, 02:22 AM
I got some mean well power supplies from electro sonic. Fast shipping as well. They were cheaper then anywhere else I found in canada

I just checked out the site. Seems likely a really good deal for the drivers.

Everything in good shape when you got it? I like fast shipping. Customer service decent?

Thanks for the post!

Howie
03-31-2015, 02:26 AM
Excellent. Lol. Got my first order in 2 days and I live in a small town in Alberta. And last order I put in I ordered the Friday and had it the Monday. Packaged well. I ordered The hlg-100h-24's:sad: to replace some bad power supplies for my light. They are waterproof as well and only $68.

Howie
03-31-2015, 02:31 AM
Oh and mine came that fast and we're shipped out of California.

FoxHound
03-31-2015, 02:38 AM
Excellent. Lol. Got my first order in 2 days and I live in a small town in Alberta. And last order I put in I ordered the Friday and had it the Monday. Packaged well. I ordered The hlg-100h-24's:sad: to replace some bad power supplies for my light. They are waterproof as well and only $68.

Nice nothing wrong with that.

Now I guess its time to look a bit closer at my build since I can get drivers haha

I think im gonna go with 2 eln 60-48d drivers, 4 strings of 9 LEDs and have each driver do 2 strings running in parallel.

Time for the drawing board tomorrow....kind of excited haha

daplatapus
03-31-2015, 03:12 AM
Not sure if it fit's your build, but I may have 2 HLG-185H-42B drivers that I'm not using...

FoxHound
03-31-2015, 12:54 PM
Im not really sure.

Im looking into building an arduino based controller to go with it. Once I have that figured out ill know what I can/cant do or use.

daplatapus
03-31-2015, 02:23 PM
IF you're looking for idea's, check out my Jarduino build... I even have a bunch of LDD drivers kicking around, a few 4 driver boards, resistors etc. for the build.

Muller
04-01-2015, 04:28 AM
I also tried sourcing stuff in Canada but came up empty handed. Only thing I was able to get was the aluminium u-channel for my light rails. Everything else was across the line. RapidLED also had the best prices I could find for quality. Just have to hit them on a sale to make up for our dollar.
Looking forward to their July 4th sale so I can get some more RB LEDS and LDD drivers.

daplatapus
04-01-2015, 05:10 AM
I actually ended up sourcing almost all my components other than the LED's themselves directly from China. So far no complaints...

FoxHound
04-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Well just as an update, I've managed to source everything I need. Not all from Canada.....mostly Ebay and China....free shipping and good prices for Cree LEDs, lenses, and potentiometers that Im going to use with Arduino. Drivers Im goona get from e sonic

I'll give a detailed list of exactly what and where with cdn prices once Im on a PC and not my phone haha.

FoxHound
04-01-2015, 10:50 AM
And yes i know its ebay, going to get a few for testing before getting a whole set

mike31154
04-02-2015, 01:57 AM
Kind of the way it goes these days, not much manufactured in North America, so all you are doing when sourcing parts in country is paying the middle man. Granted, some of the local distributors will offer warranty, but often it's simply not worth the hassle for DIY stuff. Most of my LED build consists of parts sourced off shore. As long as you're not in a super great hurry, the majority of vendors on the auction site offer free shipping. You simply need to do some research, plan ahead & be patient.

FoxHound
04-02-2015, 02:13 AM
Kind of the way it goes these days, not much manufactured in North America, so all you are doing when sourcing parts in country is paying the middle man. Granted, some of the local distributors will offer warranty, but often it's simply not worth the hassle for DIY stuff. Most of my LED build consists of parts sourced off shore. As long as you're not in a super great hurry, the majority of vendors on the auction site offer free shipping. You simply need to do some research, plan ahead & be patient.

I hear you. I can get the cree royal blue and neutral white leds on an ebay store from china for 44 bucks ish for 20 LEDs with free delivery.

Its hard to pay triple that amount here but you do possibly get warranty....i think ill take my chances.

Good thing is the LED fixture will be built and tested well before the tank even has water.

If anyone is interested I can post links to where im getting all the major components for this build.

FoxHound
04-04-2015, 04:28 PM
So just as an update, I've made a couple changes and have started ordering some things:

20 Royal Blue LED Cree XT-E - Ebay $45
20 Natural W LED, Cree XP-g2 - Ebay $45
80degree lens - Ebay $16

Layout on C channel alu from Home Depot $30ish

W B W B W B W B W B W B W
B W B W B W BB W B W B W B
W B W B W B W B W B W B W

4 drivers Meanwell LDD-1000h - esonic $23
1 power supply meanwell se-350-48 - esonic $53
Plus $10 for shipping

Mounting board for LDD Drivers - RapidLED $15 USD

The controller is either going to be 1 of the following 2

Coralux Storm controller + some leads and box - Rapid LED $87 USD
or
Jarduino style build with custom programing for $70 USD

FoxHound
04-04-2015, 04:41 PM
IF you're looking for idea's, check out my Jarduino build... I even have a bunch of LDD drivers kicking around, a few 4 driver boards, resistors etc. for the build.

I'm wondering where did you get your arduino mega board from?

seem to be only able to find knockoff boards