PDA

View Full Version : Help with Coral

Metrontech
03-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Ok so i was away for a few days and when I came back my Xenia was double extended and my toadstool leather was shrunk and looking almost bleached

Any help?

Y is the Xenia doing so well and the one beside int http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/30/cd9ee0870503e4c18c6096937a9d6b30.jpg?

Too much light?

Ginu
03-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Check magnesium levels

rishu_pepper
03-31-2015, 10:26 PM
What's the flow like there?

IME xenia doesn't like too much flow, while toadstool enjoys it.

Metrontech
04-01-2015, 08:23 PM
So its odd you say the Xenia doesn't like too much flow because it appears to be the only thing that is growing

I have put a rock beside the Toad stool and its white polyps have come out a little

But my coral just never opens up...like it was in the other tank

My Magnesium is a little low, 1000 but the rest is find

I am using a WP25 wavemaker set on the lowest speed and W1 setting

ALK 9
Calc 420
Nitrate 0
Phos 0

Any ideas?

gobytron
04-01-2015, 08:43 PM
and what light?

Metrontech
04-01-2015, 08:47 PM
4 new t5 HO 54w

Blue, purple plus, coral plus, blue plus

and what light?

rishu_pepper
04-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Are the xenia doing their patented pulsing motion? From your picture it just seems like they are all being blown to one side and their arms aren't pulsing. JMO.

Metrontech
04-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Does water movement have that much to do with it?

I have always struggled to get the right movement

I can't get it to pulse like your referring to

Maybe I'll move the wave maker around

Any suggestions?

Are the xenia doing their patented pulsing motion? From your picture it just seems like they are all being blown to one side and their arms aren't pulsing. JMO.

rishu_pepper
04-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Just point it or adjust the power so that the flow doesn't hit the xenia directly. Even if you turn off the flow for a bit, the xenia should start pulsing. If not then maybe some other problem.

Metrontech
04-02-2015, 12:10 AM
Ok, video is always easier

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpdt96wrt5h9hlj/20150401_165920.mp4?dl=0

This is my current flow

I have since changed it so that is on the ELSE setting...which is more of a natural reef

What do you think?

Just point it or adjust the power so that the flow doesn't hit the xenia directly. Even if you turn off the flow for a bit, the xenia should start pulsing. If not then maybe some other problem.

Ginu
04-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Flow is good, I would worry more about the parameters and it also looks like the tank is quite new so its not established. How old are the rocks? They seem to be dry rocks as they are lacking coraline and you have virtually no algae which would indicate the tank going through different stages also known as the "new tank syndrome"

I found when my Mag was low, some corals like anemone's would get huge... which in some ways is cool as it would typically split which I was ok with and then some corals like leathers and trees would get really ticked off and shed which gave me a new problem to deal with as it would **** off the SPS causing a chemical war (ended up killing all my SPS)... and i think thats why its recommended not to mix softies and sps...
The good part is, once you get the Magnesium to the desired level, you will only need to treat your WC water to match the display.

Now that I've changed my tank around and running a ULNS with full blown zeovit and dead on parameters, the same anemone shrunk from baseball-handball size to smaller than a ping pong ball...

If you will attempt to raise the Mg I recomend raising it by 50-75 every day(max 100)

What salt you use? typically all salts are low in Mg and the reason I asked whats your Mg at is due to your other post asking about the health of the anemone which I think might be stress caused by the low
Mag....

Also anemone's do well in more established tanks and I believe your tank is about three months which is young, so you might have troubles with the it for quite some time.

Keep in mind different corals like different water parameters.