PDA

View Full Version : how much water does a 30 gallon evaporates daily?

reefy
03-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Hi folk, I am wondering if anyone is using a dosser pump to ATO(auto top off) to be specific "time topping off" I have a 29 gallon Biocube. I know every system is different, I just needed a roughly guestimate. as for pumps, I am running maxi 1200 for returm and aqualife 115 Skimmer. no powerhead yet, will be adding an Jebao rw-4. any input will be greatly appreciated.

Coral Hoarder
03-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Every set up is difrent the heat in the room what lighting your running there's endless variables you need to measure that your self

Doses arnt supposed to be used for Ato because it wheres them out

Myka
03-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Most doser pumps run about 1.4-1.8 mL per minute which is not fast enough to use for top off - this is literally going in one drip at a time. The other trouble is that tanks don't evaporate the same amount everyday and especially different at different times of year, and doser pumps need to have timers (often built in) to operate them, they don't have a float switch to sense when the water level is low.

Tunze now makes a nano auto top off for around $125. Check into this option. :)

Janeallisonn
03-30-2015, 02:22 PM
I've got a Coralife Biocube 29 running with a Maxi 1200 and an aquaticlife skimmer as well.

Main difference between our tanks may be that I've retrofitted a Radion XR15 in place of the power compacts so I'm not generating as much heat as the standard set up with the fans.

But overall, my evaporation is negligible. I just perform weekly water changes, no top ups.

Fishfriend
03-30-2015, 06:44 PM
I have to replace four gallons a week on my 29 gallon.

reefy
03-30-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys. I do have diy led as well. Water doesn't evaporate much. Because I have a dosser that has 4 pumps(cal,all,mag) and I have one unused. So I just thought of using the extra pump just for topping off (RO with "Foz down") foz down is a phosphate remover solution which I am planning to add it to my top off water. Because I have a sumpless biocube and is isn't enough clearance to run gfo... As for now I am topping 50mls/day of RO which seems like it needs more

reef-keeper
03-30-2015, 10:06 PM
I have a 5.5. gallon. Nothing special and I add at least 1 liter a day. Plus I do a 60% water change every other day.

GoFish
03-30-2015, 11:46 PM
Your Jebao Doser will pump 1ml per second. I'm guessing your tank will require approx 2 litres per day of top off water, but there MANY variables like Scott mentioned. I wouldn't use your Doser for this application. If you wanna use the 4th channel for Foz down I'd just add Foz to a smaller jug mixed with water and dose according to your needs. And then run an adequate ATO with pump for evaporation

Ex: IF you require 2 litres per day you're asking your 4th dosing pump to run for 2000 seconds, that's 33 minutes per day. You'd be asking alot for this type and size of motor IMO

reefy
03-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks again vancity, I will take your advice :)

GoFish
03-31-2015, 01:12 AM
No problem, see you later?! :)