PDA

View Full Version : Yellow polyps are disappearing

Dean29G
09-22-2004, 05:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone had an idea why my yellow polyps are slowly disappearing over the last 8 months? My water tests are all pretty good and the lighting is only about 3 months old.
Some info on the tank:
29 gallon, 110 watt PC, moon lights, 15 gallon sump and refuge with 18 watts pc lights, ETSS 500 evolution DIY skimmer, 1 yellow tang in tank about 1 month and 1 yellowtail Damsel about 2 years old, blue leg crabs and scarlet leg crabs, msc snails.
Calcium - 420
DKH - 9
Ammonia - 0
Nitrates - 0
PH - 8 - 8.1
Salinity - 1.024 - floating type tester- not sure if it accurate as refractometer

I am wondering if I don't do a lot of water changes, if my trace elements are really low. Would that affect it greatly?
Any info would be appreciated.

Dean

AJ_77
09-22-2004, 09:07 PM
There seems to be 2 stories you here about those:

1. These are a plague.

2. These are disappearing, why??

One of those reefing mysteries... :mrgreen:

Doug
09-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Dean,
I always found mine did better if I fed them, esp. in a tank thats underfed. They love to eat.

Chad
09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
My yellow polyps are a PLAGUE!!!!!!!!! get them out :eek: :biggrin: I like them but when I move to the 50gal I am putting them on a rock all by themselves out on the sand bed or something.

I do nothing and they spread like hell spawn!

Bob I
09-23-2004, 03:01 AM
It is a bit interesting to hear about disappearing Yellow Polyps. When I originally got some they disappeared immediately. I got some later and they did not disappear, but spread like mad. I used to feed them , but stopped quite a while ago. they are still spreading. :rolleyes:

albert_dao
09-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Mine always had a bit of die off when I used Iodine supplements back in the day.

Dean29G
09-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.
This is what I thought I was going to get. A little of both sides. Well I guess I will try Flatlanders method and feed them. What can I get to feed them? I have brine shrimp, would that work?

Thanks Dean

Doug
09-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I would think brine shrimp would be fine. Cyclop-Eeze would be good also. I use to make a mush from several flake food, algae, several frozen foods, Selcon, water and so on. Ran it through my wife,s blender, :eek: , then froze it in sheets.

Good fish food also, but pretty fine.

I found without feeding, the polyps still did ok in my overfed tank, but they looked different. Smaller stocks and heads. When I use to bring them into Rods old place for trade or sale, they were gone immediately. :lol:

Dean29G
09-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Doug, what is Cyclop-eeze and Selcon? And where can I find them in Winnipeg?
Dean

Bob I
09-23-2004, 03:40 PM
I used to feed mine with Mysis. I would just suck some up with a baster, and slowly eject it on top of the polyps. They took it immediately. :biggrin:

Doug
09-23-2004, 05:12 PM
I purchase my freeze dried Cyclop-Eeze from Jayson at Saltwater Connection. I believe Jayson also carries the frozen now. My Selcon is ordered from Dan at MOPS in Ontario.

Although the Cyclop-Eeze is an excellent coral food, {perhaps one of the best}, it is a bit more expensive. However you would not require an extra supplement with it.

I used the Selcon or something like Boyd,s Vita-Chem, as a supplement with brine shrimp or flakes or even with mysis, {which are more nutritious}, as Bob mentioned.

Selcon is actually more of a supplement for fish than corals. More expensive also. I used it and the Boyd product in my mixture, because it was also fed to the smaller fish and such. They are also pretty expensive to supplement coral food with.