PDA

View Full Version : why are my zoa dying

donkey77
03-26-2015, 11:58 PM
why are my zoa dying off i have them all over my tank and they seem to be melting away my pari are in check , they were all doing fine then colony after colony are melting away and i thought the zoa were the easy ones to keep
i have good flow a wave box 3 ai sols, 5 tangs, banded coral shrimp, cleaner shrimp, 90g tank 10g water change every week, iam starting to get depressed
i need help
i forgot my frogspawn half of it died in about a day but the other half is fine what gives

reefwars
03-27-2015, 12:06 AM
what kind of tangs?

hondas3000
03-27-2015, 02:17 AM
if things are dying like that then your water para is not right, double check again maybe your test kit is expire.

mark
03-27-2015, 03:01 AM
We're they doing alright for awhile or they new additions?

Bayside Corals
03-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Bring in a water sample we will double check it for you. Your test kits might be off.

I have seen tangs eat corals before that is a possibility. You may also have a zoa eating pest like nudibranches or spiders.

But if other corals are not doing great either I would say a fish is eating them or its a water issue.

Colby

Slyguy00
03-27-2015, 02:53 PM
I'd bet on amphipods. Seen it happen 100 times. Take a look in your tank few hours after lights out. I bet you find the culprit.

gobytron
03-27-2015, 04:53 PM
I'd bet on amphipods. Seen it happen 100 times. Take a look in your tank few hours after lights out. I bet you find the culprit.

amphipods eat zoas???:surprise:

kamloops_reefer
03-27-2015, 05:59 PM

correct - as I had a similar topic of discussion that these guys can get quite huge. I couldn't help but notice late at night I'd shine a flash light in there and see them scurry away from zoa frag locations. I assume they are munching away on those which might have a slight deficiency - good healthy ones might be avoided by them.

But I've had a few frags disappear outright and once I some wrasses (yellow coris wrasse) and harlem shrimp to battle the small starfish things have been moving forward with no losses.

I believe salt water is all about removing potential variables - my only variable now is water parameters and little to no pests :)

Good luck!

donkey77
03-27-2015, 11:17 PM
i will bring in a water sample to bayside
thanks all

gobytron
03-27-2015, 11:24 PM
Found this...

Gotta love a hobby you can enjoy for a decade and still pick up the odd bit of new info...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.php

from the article

"One very small group of oddball amphipods is called the Ingolfiellidea. These animals normally live between and on sand grains, and to the best of my knowledge, they have never been seen in aquaria. The other two groups of amphipods are both ecologically important and diverse. They are the Hyperiidea and the Caprellidea. The hyperiids live in the plankton, and many are predatory or parasitic on gelatinous zooplankton..."